Younger Generation of Art Historians

Eliza123

I'm wondering if this thread could be used to identify key up and coming art historians and theorists doing important work. I'm noticing that I'm mostly identifying potential advisors that may be close to retirement (which pose a problem in the long run). I hope this is useful for somebody. I'm mostly interested in contemporary art. Any thoughts? 

Julia Bryan-Wilson, Hannah Feldman, Huey Copeland, Darby English, Matthew Jesse Jackson, Christine Mehring, Sebastian Zeidler, Alexander Alberro, Noam Elcott, Brandon Joseph, Claire Bishop, George Baker, Pamela Lee, Miwon Kwon... 

I could on forever, almost. Are you reading work in your field? 

• 2 months later...

At least one person on that list is a horrible human being.  Others are not so young.  Just FYI.  (I suppose it doesn't matter if you're just looking for reading material.)  I just saw that English is coming out with some new things that look very interesting.

2 hours ago, losemygrip said:

At least one person on that list is a horrible human being.  Others are not so young.  Just FYI.  (I suppose it doesn't matter if you're just looking for reading material.)  I just saw that English is coming out with some new things that look very interesting.

"Horrible human being" - that's a pretty strong statement. Of whom are you speaking, and why do you say that? You had to know there'd be some questions here.

Edited by MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou
Typo

On 2/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, losemygrip said:

I don't think that the objective "youth" of scholars was really central to the question. None of the people I mentioned are close to retirement, whereas the OP specifically mentioned that the scholars they were looking at are. The question—as far as I understand it—is about potential supervisors, and the scholars I mentioned are either mid-career (in terms of supervision at least), or just seeing through some of their first doctoral candidates. 

Re. the personal attack on one of the people mentioned—sure, it's very possible. That being said, it's probably best to keep that sort of commentary to private messages.