Aero Applicants Fall 2017

Kalman

44 minutes ago, ak547 said:

@luisalasnjr That's nice to hear. Glad someone is in a similar situation! :)

Well, I heard from Purdue today. Got accepted. :)

However, they didn't give funding yet. They said I have to email profs for RAships. 

Congrats! What professors do you want to do research with at Purdue? There I actually applied for aerospace systems as my first option and aerodynamics as the second one. In aerodynamics I am interested in the work by Dr. Blaisdell. 

On 2/4/2017 at 4:57 AM, luisalasnjr said:

Congrats! What professors do you want to do research with at Purdue? There I actually applied for aerospace systems as my first option and aerodynamics as the second one. In aerodynamics I am interested in the work by Dr. Blaisdell. 

I'm not sure yet, but I know for a fact that I can't afford this school without an RA. :(

On 2/3/2017 at 10:02 AM, ak547 said:

Heard back from UTIAS yet? I applied for the M.A.Sc.

I just got official acceptance for a PhD by email today. The prof I wanted to work with told me early, so I was expecting it. 

@luisalasnjr I would have applied to some US schools, but honestly the political situation down there scares the heck out of me. 

20 hours ago, latticeB said:

I just got official acceptance for a PhD by email today. The prof I wanted to work with told me early, so I was expecting it. 

@luisalasnjr I would have applied to some US schools, but honestly the political situation down there scares the heck out of me. 

As an international student in Texas I can relate to your concerns. I'm hopeful it will get better soon. BTW, congratulations on your PhD admission, what's your area of interest? 

15 hours ago, luisalasnjr said:

As an international student in Texas I can relate to your concerns. I'm hopeful it will get better soon. BTW, congratulations on your PhD admission, what's your area of interest? 

Thanks! My Master's is in multiphase CFD, which obviously covers a lot. Turbulence modeling dominates a lot of that landscape, so naturally I became interested in pursuing it in my PhD. We have a few projects in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

@pvfm It's a MS program. I'm trying to arrange a visit to the department and meet with some professors. I also got a rejection from Washington-Seattle (PhD) last Friday. Have you heard anything about funding?

12 hours ago, luisalasnjr said:

@ak547 Got an admission to Illinois at Urbana-Champaign! Still waiting to hear from the other schools. 

Hey man! Congratulations! So did I, but no funding yet! :( 

However, I did get a fully funded PhD offer from Virginia Tech! :D

Has anyone who got accepted to the MS program at UIUC heard about the funding situation yet? It seems a lot of people got accepted to the non-thesis option which has no funding, but I have no idea what the chances are for funding for the thesis option admits. They told us to contact profs in the mean-time which I have started doing. So far one has said he doesn't have any projects/funding at this time, and the other hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Wonder what the chances are for getting funding from the department, doesn't sound good anyhow. 

@jljljljl I was also offered an admission to the MS program at UIUC. I got the email on Monday and it said that funding options are still being reviewed. I have also contacted a professor (Dr. Selig) asking if he is accepting any new students. I'm planning to visit the department next week to get a better idea on this. Finally, what's your area of specialization? 

@pvfm I see in your profile you were also accepted in UT Austin. Congratulations! That's amazing! Did you receive an email or you found out on the Open AM website? So far which one are you inclined to attend? 

@luisalasnjr It was actually an unofficial acceptance from PI after interview. I'll receive the official letter and possibly funding information till the end of March. If I get funding offers from both UT Austin and Georgia Tech, I'd choose Tech due to research fit.

1 hour ago, Kev_182 said:

@ak547 Hey man, congrats on your purdue admit. I got an admit from purdue too. Did you hear back from any professors for a RAship?

Hey. Thanks!
I did actually. All 3 professors said that they don't have space in their groups. :P

3 minutes ago, Kev_182 said:

@luisalasnjr Have you contacted UMich or just waiting it out?

I contacted professor Driscoll like a month ago but he did not provide much information, he just said they were still reviewing profiles and would get back to me once decisions were made. Looking at the results website, it seems like people are getting decisions right now, so I'm guessing we should hear back from them before the end of the week. 

Also, for those who applied to Texas A&M, one of the grad coordinators told me that they have a policy where they only accept people with a commitment of support from one of the faculty members (assistantships). I had emailed a couple of professors with no success and was honestly waiting to be admitted before reaching out to more people, but now  I will start making some calls.  

Um guys, I'm kind of late to the party here but, I finished my application process only in late Feb and Mid march. 

CSULB - Pending, UAlabama - Accepted, UTArlington - Pending, SUNY Buffalo - Pending, WVU - Pending, UAlabama Huntsville - Pending

I know these aren't the top universities for aero. But I wanted to know how well known the aero program is at these universities.