Baylor Vs. UCF Decision Help!

Hello, I'm a recent Comm. Dis. graduate in Florida and I was accepted to both Baylor and UCF. I am not attached to anything and now would be the best time to move out of state if I'm going to do so. I'm honestly struggling with a decision, which should I choose?

I'm not particularly drawn to either. UCF would be $27K total for a 2-year, six-semester program, Baylor would be $52K(they gave a 20K scholarship) tuition total for a 1-year, 4-semester program. I need unbiased responses, I'm struggling alot with this decision. Is the higher debt worth working a year earlier? I haven't heard the best things about the UCF program so I'm very nervous. Anyone with feedback on these two schools please respond!

I don't know anything about UCF but I do know Baylor.  I can tell you they just got a brand new facility for their speech pathology department.  I have toured it as I am applying to them as well and it is a VERY nice facility.  They have a special room for the graduate students, very nicely stocked supply room, and separate therapy rooms.  There is also a motor lab, preschool lab, audiology department, and they are beginning a feeding program.  If you have time, there will be a tour of the facility and grad school questions on Dec. 9th at Baylor.  You have to sign up via their website...here: http://www.baylor.edu/csd/index.php?id=934171  Good luck on your decision and congratulations on getting accepted.

If you are not particularly drawn to either, I would make it all about the money--you will get your certification going to either school, it sounds like you are in a place where you don't mind staying in school one year longer, and I am willing to bet they both have adequate facilities and clinical opportunities (but I am unfamiliar with either program's specifics). Looking straight at the numbers, clearly UCF looks like the cheaper option, but don't forget to factor in a salary you would potentially be making being out of school a year sooner. 

I did undergrad at UCF (sorry I'm a little biased) and I've done a lot of shadowing at the UCF communication clinic and the Aphasia House and it's amazing. The staff and therapists are all very helpful and thats where the grad students do a lot of their therapy. They have the professors guiding them and the grad students all really love it. Orlando also has lots of options for schools, rehab centers and hospitals for you to work at during your 2nd year. Were you accepted for Spring 2017?

Hi @FloridaSpeechie, I also did undergrad at UCF. I'm very well acquainted with the facilities and Dr. Whiteside(she was my thesis chair lol)! I was accepted for Spring 2017! The issues I'm having with UCF are I do not like Orlando at all lol, and I've heard negative things from previous graduates about UCF's program that have me more than a little nervous. 

@CajunSLP18 Could you explain why you'd choose Baylor?

@baylorbear25 Thank you! I will be there on the 9th!

@plume I have crunched the numbers but I'm still very confused. Baylor would be $52K for tuition alone, but the pay out of school is much higher in Texas than here in Florida. Alternatively, UCF is only $27K for tuition with lower pay out of school and the current housing options are considerably more than Baylor, but there is a chance of an assistantship with tuition remission.. 

I would choose Baylor because I love Texas and I have heard how great of a school Baylor is. If I could move, I would apply there. Texas has so many opportunities and the weather is great. Low cost of living. Friendly people. Great Mexican food lol. 

Do you have anyone you could live with in Texas or in Orlando? Cost of living was a huge factor for me when it came to applying to graduate schools---which is why I am applying to a lot of online programs. By the time you account for rent, utilities, etc, it was just as expensive to go out of state as it was to do an online program where I could still work and be close to family. So if I where you, I would crunch the cost of living expenses and the options. If they are the same, and you do not have any desire to stay in Florida, I would go to Texas. With the 20K scholarship, you are looking at roughly the same cost in tuition but you would be done earlier. That right there is a HUGE plus!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Toured Baylor but want be applying until next year.  It is top pick despite the cost.   We figured out that making a salary 10 months earlier will make up for the difference.  Baylor also allows you to do your last semester anywhere so you can  intern in the city you want to end up in and begin making contacts.  I interested in your scholarship.  Would you mind sharing your stats so I can determine if a scholarship might be a possibility for me next year.