What are some good jobs for MSW Application?

AnneDroid

What are some good jobs to prepare for an MSW application?  I would like to get a job before the fall of 2017 that will enhance my application. So far I have a B.A. in English and 2 years of teaching ESL abroad. I want to go the LCSW route to become a counselor. I've looked into substance abuse counseling but it seems that all the jobs require previous experience. Im not sure how to break into that. I feel that my current application is weak without relevant work experience. 

Edited by AnneDroid

I got a job as therapeutic staff support with a biology degree and some experience with kids. This is actually what made me realize I'd like to be a LCSW. If you look for jobs around your area called therapeutic staff, behavioral technician, ABA therapist/support you might find something. You work in the home, community, or school setting and support their teachers and caregivers, using applied behavioral analysis and other therapies. There is a lot of travel, it doesn't pay super well, and sometimes the kids can be aggressive, but I absolutely loved it. Not only do you get experience doing behavioral therapy, you're likely to have a lead therapist on each case that has a MSW. This is where I got all of my letters of recommendation. 

If you have any questions, let me know!

You might not need to do a full-time position since you do have some experience. If you can, pick up a volunteer gig or internship for 10-12 hours per week. 

If you're looking for a full-time position, I agree with Racket. Sexual violence, domestic violence, or suicide prevention hotlines don't always require experience, just some training. 

• 1 month later...

You can make any job relevant to social work. For example, I worked as a teller at a bank. This enhanced my abilities in listening, referring customers to products and services tailored to their needs, gave me skills in managing sometimes angry and hostile customers, etc.

For clinical, I recently signed up to be a trauma intervention volunteer with TIPS in my area. Trauma is a very important aspect of clinical practice as a social worker and getting exposure and experience in that area will serve you well. 

If you can't find a job you can still build your social work resume with volunteer experience.  I've volunteered with a local rape crisis center for the last two years.  I take shifts for their helpline.  It was only two Saturdays of training.  I can take the calls from my cell phone and usually do two - four shifts per month (each 8 hours long, but I've never received more than 4 calls in one shift).  It's been a great way to practice some social work skills and it also looks great on my resume, but it's taken minimal time/effort on my part.  There are a lot of hotlines that can use volunteers, depending on the population you are interested in working with.

Given your undergraduate background, I think finding different places to volunteer with based on the population you think you want to work with could greatly enhance your resume.  

Other places that look good and are usually looking for volunteers - child advocacy centers, shelters (women's shelters, homeless shelters, etc.), food banks, CASA or guardian ad litem (depends on your state), Gilda's club etc.