Profile Evaluation - MS in Mechanical Engineering

JuicyThio

Hello,

Aspiring Master's candidate looking for a profile evaluation and potential some advise.

Stats:

Undergraduate: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering with a ~80/100 from a Canadian top 3 university. Graduating May 2017.

GRE: 170 Q (97%), 159 V (82%), 4.0 AW (59%)

Research Experience: 1 summer in a self-driven car lab in TU Darmstadt (Germany), currently doing 2-term research in microfluidics at home school

Publications: None :(

LOR: 3 from home school faculty members (1 direct supervisor, 2 profs who taught me before)

Industry Experience: 1 year industrial experience in manufacturing / oil&gas company, design work in SolidWorks, etc.

Questions:

Looking for suggestions of possible schools/labs. I am into fluids (though relevant course grades were non-ideal), but am open to suggestions. Interested in robotics too, but unfortunately don't have much exposure so far. Ideally programs with possible fundings.

Thank you!

Hello! Those are some great GRE scores. How does a 80/100 translate into the 4.0 GPA system? I mean, it technically would be something like 3.4, but I'm not sure if it is a linear conversion. Also, are you looking into a Master of Science or a Master of Engineering? And what in specific about fluids? Compressible fluids? Internal fluids (pipe flows)? Hydraulics? Aerodynamics? 

On 2016-11-17 at 8:31 PM, luisalasnjr said:

Hello! Those are some great GRE scores. How does a 80/100 translate into the 4.0 GPA system? I mean, it technically would be something like 3.4, but I'm not sure if it is a linear conversion. Also, are you looking into a Master of Science or a Master of Engineering? And what in specific about fluids? Compressible fluids? Internal fluids (pipe flows)? Hydraulics? Aerodynamics? 

Hello there,

Thank you for your reply. I actually have no idea how 80/100 would translate into the 4.0 scale, but assuming the most general conversion system it should be around 3.4 - 3.5. I am more looking at a master of science degree with the option of a thesis. 

Regarding the specific field in fluids, I'm currently more interested in microfluidics, but not sure if I'd like to commit to that. I would also be very interested in the computational aspect too. 

Any suggestion?

Edited by JuicyThio

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying before, I just got really distracted with school, and finishing my applications! When are you planning to start your MS? 

In regards to microfluidics, I'm not really sure on what are the top schools on the area, but you should of course start by checking the most prestigious ones (Stanford, Austin, Georgia Tech, Purdue). With those scores you shouldn't have trouble getting in.