applying for PhD as an older student

unitstructures

I semi-finalized the list of schools to apply for musicology phd programs based on the interests of their faculty matching mine, but would like to know from those "in the know" if the programs I chose would potentially be suspicious of my age. I'm 34 - spent the last ten years playing and teaching music - and now I want to finally go for the final degree. I know my age can look unambitious, compared to those applying at age 22. I was told by one professor it depends on the program. So if any of you are already in these programs, I would be grateful if you shared your comments and observations!

University of North Texas at Denton ethno

NYU ethno

Columbia historical music or music theory

CUNY ethno

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign musicology

Northwestern musicology

Duke ethno

U of Chicago ethno

U Pittsburgh ethno

In particular, what is the age range of phd students in your program? Thanks in advance for taking time. It's greatly appreciated.

age shouldn't be a problem, I know of at least 1 person over 50 in a music phd, and several that are in the 30-40 range.

My field (info science) the age range seems to be 25-50+ for applicants and current students (I am applying at 54, so I am in the upper end of the bracket)

Thanks for the reply! 

I know phds beyond twenties aren't rare. Still, I wonder if some programs favor younger students, mainly because they could appear to be more career oriented. I was told by a reliable source that it depends on the program...

Absolutely depends on the program, and it goes in the opposite direction also. Some programs favor older students - especially programs that require some industry experience prior to entry.