Northwestern Chemistry 2017 - Video interview questions

Bekkesys

I got the following message today from Northwestern.

" Thank you for your application to the Chemistry PhD program. While not required, as part of your application evaluation, we highly recommend that you complete the following video interview questions. Please click here to access the video interview form."

I was wondering what type of questions can I expect and why do this if not part of the application evaluation.

You didnt see it in the online application?  The question is " Imagine we are students who will be taking classes at your home university in your field of research. What class would you recommend that we take, and why? "

I just went in and this does NOT look like the video question in the application.

Welcome to the video interview for The Graduate School at Northwestern. Please read the following instructions closely before proceeding into the interview.

You will be asked to respond via webcam to a series of five video questions. You will have one minute to answer each question. Each page will contain one video question window and one video response window.

After the question is finished playing, your video response will automatically begin recording. The response will be automatically saved if the time runs out, or if you stop the recording. After all questions have been answered, you will see a completion message. At that point you should click the button that reads "Submit Interview".

• 2 weeks later...

OMG I got the same email and it seems that there is no way for preparation or re-recording. 

Has anyone been brave enough to enter the interview part? I wonder what kind of Qs they will ask.

On 2016/12/4 at 5:09 PM, Cali Chemiste said:

Has anyone done the interview? Do we still have to do the interview at this point? The Dec 1 deadline passed, so will it still be considered?

Hey, Cali. I asked Northwestern chemistry graduate office the same question and they answered :

"The video questions are entirely optional. You may still complete them even though
the deadline has passed, but it is up to you."

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2016 at 6:39 AM, perylenekween said:

Has anyone done the interview? Do we still have to do the interview at this point? The Dec 1 deadline passed, so will it still be considered?

Hi! Now that Northwestern has sent out all its final acceptances and rejections, I am curious- had you taken the optional video interview?

I was rejected from Northwestern even though accepted from all higher ranked programs that I had applied to, which makes me think the video interview counted against me. I was uncomfortable talking to a camera without a person behind it, the camera quality was bad, and I messed it up. 

Anyone who looks up this thread next year, my advice would be not to take the optional video interview.

Edited by Psyduck_1

On 1/28/2017 at 11:04 PM, Psyduck_1 said:

Hi! Now that Northwestern has sent out all its final acceptances and rejections, I am curious- had you taken the optional video interview?

I was rejected from Northwestern even though accepted from all higher ranked programs that I had applied to, which makes me think the video interview counted against me. I was uncomfortable talking to a camera without a person behind it, the camera quality was bad, and I messed it up. 

Anyone who looks up this thread next year, my advice would be not to take the optional video interview.

Hi Psyduck_1 !

I did not take the optional video interview that was sent after I turned in the application. I did the small video question within the application, but refrained from doing the optional video afterwards because i was busy with finals at the time. I was called by a Northwestern professor about my acceptance on Dec. 12, I think.