Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

Hi everyone,

Figured I'd start a thread for those of us applying to Social Psychology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2017 admission. When I went through this process two years ago, there was a thread that was definitely helpful for me. I couldn't find another already started so I figured I'd get one going. Where is everyone planning to apply?

I have a rather long list but my top choices are Portland State, SUNY Albany, Clark, and Penn State.

Good luck, everyone! I hope we all end up in a great spot so we can continue this madness!

On 11/19/2016 at 2:11 PM, wrackani said:

I started one about a month ago, but I don't think anyone responded! So let's try to make this one more successful! 

I am applying to UNC Chapel Hill & Rutgers. 

Good luck to you too! 

We will keep it alive!

Also have Rutgers on my list :)

On 11/19/2016 at 5:09 PM, raisinbrahms said:

Glad you started this. 

I'm applying to programs that are strong in political psychology.

What are everyone's research interests?

I bet the political psychology research is absolutely insane right now. 

My research interests are mostly in the field of gender (social identity focused).

Hey guys! I need help in my application strength evaluation!

Undergrad Institution: Top school from Asia (Singapore)
Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 4.44/5
Overall GPA: 4.34/5
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 162
W: 4.5
B:

TOEFL Total: higher than what the division expects

Research Experience: 1 cross-institutional RA (From UCIrvine), 3 labs locally, since sophomore year, Involved in multiple projects. In my Junior, I was selected to participate in campus individual research program, I conducted my first independent research (as first author, under funding) and have presented the paper in reputable international conference. I was then selected to be involved in funded honor thesis program, where I am currently doing my project independently. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: President research scholar; I chaired an international undergraduate conference (2016), student research director.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: my school does not offer this opportunity for undergraduate

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: I approached my POI from school X through email really early (around March), indicated my interest. There after we exchanged some emails and until August, she emailed me and say she recalled having overlap interests with me and ask me to take that as a GENTLE push to apply. After that we continue to keep in touch and until i asked some questions really pertinent about her lab and working style, she invited me to a skype (she initiated), and we have talked for 2 hours (her 11pm-1am). After that, she sent me an email saying that she would love to have me in her lab and asked m to take this as a STRONG NUDGE to apply, and thereafter we continue to keep in touch.

I do not have intermediate statistics training. What happened in our school is that if we take 200 level statistics, we have to gradually take 300-statistics then 400-statistics. I did not take 300-level and was assessed by the instructor to waive my 300-prerequisite and take 400-(master level) straight. I expect to get an A (my average assignment grade is 95/100).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I have 4 letter providers:

1) My primary advisor, an alumna from school X

2) My lab professor

3) My lab professor

4) My advanced statistics instructor, an alumna from School X (I am including this because I need an evidence to justify for your weak quant. As an asian, that is a really poor score (allow my stereotype). I hope by submitting this letter showing that i have advanced statistics training, i can compensate for that weakness. Although this letter might not be as super strong as my first three, i expect this to be positive.

Applying to Where:

Rochester - social psy
Florida State -social psy
UIUC - social psy
UCSB - social psy
Utah - social Psy
IU-Bloomington - social psy
UCLA - Social psy (health)
USouthern cali - Social psy

______

One quick concern also come from my grade conversion - I do not know how my grade will be converted, my institution use a 5-point scale. an unweigthed onversion makes my grade really poor (3.5).

Also, my poor grades are mainly due to my first year GPA where i was trying hard to adapt in this new environment. I am also an international student in Singapore, and english is my 3rd language (my first year GPA 3.7/5, my sophomore and junior combined 4.71/5)

7 hours ago, Godpsy said:

Hey guys! I need help in my application strength evaluation!

Undergrad Institution: Top school from Asia (Singapore)
Major(s): Psychology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 4.44/5
Overall GPA: 4.34/5
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 162
W: 4.5
B:

TOEFL Total: higher than what the division expects

Research Experience: 1 cross-institutional RA (From UCIrvine), 3 labs locally, since sophomore year, Involved in multiple projects. In my Junior, I was selected to participate in campus individual research program, I conducted my first independent research (as first author, under funding) and have presented the paper in reputable international conference. I was then selected to be involved in funded honor thesis program, where I am currently doing my project independently. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: President research scholar; I chaired an international undergraduate conference (2016), student research director.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: my school does not offer this opportunity for undergraduate

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: I approached my POI from school X through email really early (around March), indicated my interest. There after we exchanged some emails and until August, she emailed me and say she recalled having overlap interests with me and ask me to take that as a GENTLE push to apply. After that we continue to keep in touch and until i asked some questions really pertinent about her lab and working style, she invited me to a skype (she initiated), and we have talked for 2 hours (her 11pm-1am). After that, she sent me an email saying that she would love to have me in her lab and asked m to take this as a STRONG NUDGE to apply, and thereafter we continue to keep in touch.

I do not have intermediate statistics training. What happened in our school is that if we take 200 level statistics, we have to gradually take 300-statistics then 400-statistics. I did not take 300-level and was assessed by the instructor to waive my 300-prerequisite and take 400-(master level) straight. I expect to get an A (my average assignment grade is 95/100).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I have 4 letter providers:

1) My primary advisor, an alumna from school X

2) My lab professor

3) My lab professor

4) My advanced statistics instructor, an alumna from School X (I am including this because I need an evidence to justify for your weak quant. As an asian, that is a really poor score (allow my stereotype). I hope by submitting this letter showing that i have advanced statistics training, i can compensate for that weakness. Although this letter might not be as super strong as my first three, i expect this to be positive.

Applying to Where:

Rochester - social psy
Florida State -social psy
UIUC - social psy
UCSB - social psy
Utah - social Psy
IU-Bloomington - social psy
UCLA - Social psy (health)
USouthern cali - Social psy

______

One quick concern also come from my grade conversion - I do not know how my grade will be converted, my institution use a 5-point scale. an unweigthed onversion makes my grade really poor (3.5).

Also, my poor grades are mainly due to my first year GPA where i was trying hard to adapt in this new environment. I am also an international student in Singapore, and english is my 3rd language (my first year GPA 3.7/5, my sophomore and junior combined 4.71/5)

Hi Godpsy,

While I am also a potential applicant, I can tell you what I think just based on what I know about strength of applicants and what many in the field have told me/guided me with this process. 

First of all, the correspondence you've been having with the particular POI that you spoke about seems really promising! I would be really encouraged by that kind of feedback. 

Also you seem to have strong research experience so I think you would be very well covered there! 

The one potential issue I can see is your GPA. However, from what I have heard, most programs place stronger emphasis on your last two years of undergraduate training. I have had a few applications even request my GPA from the last two years, in addition to my overall and major GPA. Most US schools operate on a 4.0 grading scale and competitive applicants for a admission generally have somewhere between a 3.8-4.0. 

Your GRE scores are acceptable, in my opinion. Especially if you have advanced Masters level statistics. I am currently getting my Master's degree in experimental psychology and have received feedback from numerous POIs that I have emailed that they would rather see competency at graduate level statistics than sky high quantitative GRE scores. My quantitative score has been an ongoing problem for me. Your's is higher than mine!

Do you have any publications or even manuscripts under review from any of your research? This could carry some extra weight to offset any potential red flags, just again, by showing competency and your ability to conduct, write, and publish your research. 

Again, I am in the same boat as you, being a prospective doctoral student myself but I do think you are a competitive applicant. 

I am also applying to Rochester, Florida State, and IU-Bloomington! 

Best of luck!

Edited by MyDogHasAPhD

2 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Hi Godpsy,

While I am also a potential applicant, I can tell you what I think just based on what I know about strength of applicants and what many in the field have told me/guided me with this process. 

First of all, the correspondence you've been having with the particular POI that you spoke about seems really promising! I would be really encouraged by that kind of feedback. 

Also you seem to have strong research experience so I think you would be very well covered there! 

The one potential issue I can see is your GPA. However, from what I have heard, most programs place stronger emphasis on your last two years of undergraduate training. I have had a few applications even request my GPA from the last two years, in addition to my overall and major GPA. Most US schools operate on a 4.0 grading scale and competitive applicants for a admission generally have somewhere between a 3.8-4.0. 

Your GRE scores are acceptable, in my opinion. Especially if you have advanced Masters level statistics. I am currently getting my Master's degree in experimental psychology and have received feedback from numerous POIs that I have emailed that they would rather see competency at graduate level statistics than sky high quantitative GRE scores. My quantitative score has been an ongoing problem for me. Your's is higher than mine!

Do you have any publications or even manuscripts under review from any of your research? This could carry some extra weight to offset any potential red flags, just again, by showing competency and your ability to conduct, write, and publish your research. 

Again, I am in the same boat as you, being a prospective doctoral student myself but I do think you are a competitive applicant. 

I am also applying to Rochester, Florida State, and IU-Bloomington! 

Best of luck!

Hey! Thank you for the super detailed feedback!

Yes, my first year GPA has always been a pain for me. I am not a Singaporean, rather, an international student studying in Singapore. My first year GPA was 3.7/5, a rather low GPA. I am unsure if they will understand my situation and show mercy for my first year GPA, which is also the culprit of my overall lower range GPA. Also, I am unsure how they would standardized the GPA. If follow unweighted way to standardized will make my GPA really low. 

Anyway! thank you for your advice, I have some projects going on and is funded by my school, but i did not mention them in the CV. They are neither under review or accepted, merely saying manuscript under prep can be misleading, i think, to lead them think i am creating false impression. I rather not mention if that is a poor paper (most of my hypotheses weren't supported).

1 hour ago, Godpsy said:

Hey! Thank you for the super detailed feedback!

Yes, my first year GPA has always been a pain for me. I am not a Singaporean, rather, an international student studying in Singapore. My first year GPA was 3.7/5, a rather low GPA. I am unsure if they will understand my situation and show mercy for my first year GPA, which is also the culprit of my overall lower range GPA. Also, I am unsure how they would standardized the GPA. If follow unweighted way to standardized will make my GPA really low. 

Anyway! thank you for your advice, I have some projects going on and is funded by my school, but i did not mention them in the CV. They are neither under review or accepted, merely saying manuscript under prep can be misleading, i think, to lead them think i am creating false impression. I rather not mention if that is a poor paper (most of my hypotheses weren't supported).

My supervisor suggested that I put a section on my CV entitled "Projects In Progress" and put some of my studies that are in data collection there. That might be something to consider if you have any projects in that stage.

53 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

My supervisor suggested that I put a section on my CV entitled "Projects In Progress" and put some of my studies that are in data collection there. That might be something to consider if you have any projects in that stage.

A quick check with you, do you think my profile will be screened out at the first round even before being reviewed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I'm hoping to keep this thread alive! Just submitted my apps! I'm only applying to three schools, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and UCSB. I'm hopeful to get in but if I get rejected then it's just an opportunity for more experience and reapplying the next year. I'm interested in close relationships and personality development. I've been having a lot of good correspondence with some of the faculty at UCD and it makes me hopeful for an interview. 

Good luck to everyone that's applying!

11 hours ago, canessa said:

Hey!

I'm hoping to keep this thread alive! Just submitted my apps! I'm only applying to three schools, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and UCSB. I'm hopeful to get in but if I get rejected then it's just an opportunity for more experience and reapplying the next year. I'm interested in close relationships and personality development. I've been having a lot of good correspondence with some of the faculty at UCD and it makes me hopeful for an interview. 

Good luck to everyone that's applying!

Good luck! I applied to UCD too, but my interests are more in the realm of beliefs and attitudes, so most likely we're looking at different labs. 

The UCD application was kind of tricky for me because they require 2 essays (maybe all UC schools do?), and they both have to be relatively short (max 4000 characters). (UC Irvine is the only other UC school I applied to.) I kind of chopped my template essay in half and tried to build each part into something freestanding. Anyone else encounter this kind of thing? How did you deal with it?

3 hours ago, raisinbrahms said:

Good luck! I applied to UCD too, but my interests are more in the realm of beliefs and attitudes, so most likely we're looking at different labs. 

The UCD application was kind of tricky for me because they require 2 essays (maybe all UC schools do?), and they both have to be relatively short (max 4000 characters). (UC Irvine is the only other UC school I applied to.) I kind of chopped my template essay in half and tried to build each part into something freestanding. Anyone else encounter this kind of thing? How did you deal with it?

Good luck to you too! Hopefully we'll both be hearing back from UCD soon.

I had such a tough time with UC Davis' statements! The two other UC's I applied to required two statements as well but were no where near the short character limit that Davis had. I felt like I had to cut so much information out and that it hurt the strength of my essays. I had to modify my original statement of purpose and diversity statements that I used for other schools from 1,200 words to nearly 600.

Hi everyone!!

I'm applying to social psych programs as well - I'm interested in adolescent academic motivation and achievement. I have quite a long list of schools I've applied to, mainly in California. My top choices are UCLA, UCD, and Cal. 

Here's to good news for us all!!!

I am applying to social programs as well as developmental, as I'm interested in social development and identity formation! The social programs on my list are Stanford, WashU, and UVA. Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!

I'm an international student and I've applied to social psych programs as well. This wait is quiet an experience i must say. I keep checking my mail, refresh gradcafe pages. But yes I know this whole process requires a lot of patience. Anyway, i'm broadly interested in stereotypes, attitudes, and group behaviors.

I've applied to a bunch of schools including UCDavis, UCSB, Cornell, Purdue, UC-Boulder. 

Let's keep this page active and update as we get new info! Good luck guys!

1 minute ago, ihm6spm said:

Hi everyone!

I'm an international student and I've applied to social psych programs as well. This wait is quiet an experience i must say. I keep checking my mail, refresh gradcafe pages. But yes I know this whole process requires a lot of patience. Anyway, i'm broadly interested in stereotypes, attitudes, and group behaviors.

I've applied to a bunch of schools including UCDavis, UCSB, Cornell, Purdue, UC-Boulder. 

Let's keep this page active and update as we get new info! Good luck guys!

Seriously this wait!!! I need to find a hobby so I'm not constantly refreshing my browser. 

Hey guys!

Out of curiosity, is there a standard timeline as to when each school or the POIs may reach out to potential candidates? Is it common in social psych programs to get a response in December?

11 hours ago, ihm6spm said:

Hey guys!

Out of curiosity, is there a standard timeline as to when each school or the POIs may reach out to potential candidates? Is it common in social psych programs to get a response in December?

Have wondered the same. Based on last year's thread, it looks like most social programs don't contact applicants until January. A few people said they were contacted for interviews toward the end of December. 

On the other hand, one person posted a few days ago that they heard from their POI at USC for an interview. That seems unusual this early but evidently it can happen.

3 hours ago, raisinbrahms said:

Have wondered the same. Based on last year's thread, it looks like most social programs don't contact applicants until January. A few people said they were contacted for interviews toward the end of December. 

On the other hand, one person posted a few days ago that they heard from their POI at USC for an interview. That seems unusual this early but evidently it can happen.

Hi, apparently it is me.

Yes, i received an interview invitation from USC a few days ago (12 Dec).

My GPA wasnt top (3.5/4) nor my GRE was stellar (320). I did have very excellent research experience (quality > quantity), first author presentation at IACCP2016, and a very good and reputable undergraduate school (top 15 world). I did not know which factors play the most important role, though.

1 hour ago, Godpsy said:

Hi, apparently it is me.

Yes, i received an interview invitation from USC a few days ago (12 Dec).

My GPA wasnt top (3.5/4) nor my GRE was stellar (320). I did have very excellent research experience (quality > quantity), first author presentation at IACCP2016, and a very good and reputable undergraduate school (top 15 world). I did not know which factors play the most important role, though.

Congratulations on the invitation to interview, that's very exciting and encouraging. I see that you applied to several programs. Is this your top choice?