Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

23 minutes ago, canessa said:

After talking to one of my mentors who's in grad school now, she reassured me that her interview was very conversational and relaxed. Definitely know your own interests and be able to articulate them well, know your research experience and be able to say what you took away from each experience and know what the POI's current research is - have a couple of questions ready for them too. Her experience was a really short 15 minute Skype where they just sorta wanna feel you out as a person.

Good luck on your phone interview! I'm nervous for my Skype interviews today too!! 

Thank you! That was really helpful!

I just noticed in the result, someone posted interview for Purdue University and Michigan State University. I also applied these two universities and haven't heard back yet. If the posters see me, could you please tell me more details about the interview? Is it a formal interview? Have all the interview invitation been sent out? I'm extremely nervous every time I saw the name of schools I applied. Thank you very much.

16 hours ago, Rainydays said:

I just noticed in the result, someone posted interview for Purdue University and Michigan State University. I also applied these two universities and haven't heard back yet. If the posters see me, could you please tell me more details about the interview? Is it a formal interview? Have all the interview invitation been sent out? I'm extremely nervous every time I saw the name of schools I applied. Thank you very much.

Hi there! I don't usually post in these forums, but I certainly know how anxious this process makes me. I'm the one who posted the Purdue Interview and it is a formal interview. I am not sure if all invitations have been sent out. 

Either way, best of luck! 

So I did both my skype interviews yesterday. I didn't quite know where I stood afterwards but later that night I got an email getting a formal invitation to UCSB's interview weekend! Woohoo! 

41 minutes ago, canessa said:

So I did both my skype interviews yesterday. I didn't quite know where I stood afterwards but later that night I got an email getting a formal invitation to UCSB's interview weekend! Woohoo! 

Congratulations on your Skype interview and securing an invitation to the formal interview. Good luck on the in person interview, although it doesn't seem like you need any luck. 

On 12/13/2016 at 9:46 AM, ihm6spm said:

Hi everyone!

I'm an international student and I've applied to social psych programs as well. This wait is quiet an experience i must say. I keep checking my mail, refresh gradcafe pages. But yes I know this whole process requires a lot of patience. Anyway, i'm broadly interested in stereotypes, attitudes, and group behaviors.

I've applied to a bunch of schools including UCDavis, UCSB, Cornell, Purdue, UC-Boulder. 

Let's keep this page active and update as we get new info! Good luck guys!

Just out of curiosity, who did you apply to work with at CU?

I can tell you that the social program is anticipating having an interview/recruitment weekend Feb. 23-24. I don't know that it's final yet, and I don't know the status of contact with prospective students (my advisor is not accepting students, otherwise I would be more in-the-know).

I just had my first phone interview at one of my top programs. Hoping to hear some more good news in the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Emotix

6 hours ago, socpsycapplicant said:

not sure if this is the right place to post but i got offered acceptance into University of Michigan, Ann Arbor's personality and social context via email earlier today. my top choice so im really happy about it

Congratulations!!! That's great news :D

May i know what does it mean if POI indicates interest to skype for second time after the interview?

She interviewed me for 1.5 hours previously, and we have exchanegd a few more emails. She asked if i will be going to SPSP but i turned her down because I am currently in Singapore. She said she would like to talk to me more after SPSP then. What does it mean? I havent been offered a place though.

16 hours ago, Godpsy said:

May i know what does it mean if POI indicates interest to skype for second time after the interview?

She interviewed me for 1.5 hours previously, and we have exchanegd a few more emails. She asked if i will be going to SPSP but i turned her down because I am currently in Singapore. She said she would like to talk to me more after SPSP then. What does it mean? I havent been offered a place though.

My best guess is that they are waiting until after SPSP to make admissions decisions. Many times, POIs use SPSP as a way to scope out and interview applicants. Perhaps this particular POI might have other interviews lined up during that time and will be deciding after SPSP for that reason.  

However, it seems that this program must be very interested in you based on the contact you have had. Fingers crossed for you!

2 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

My best guess is that they are waiting until after SPSP to make admissions decisions. Many times, POIs use SPSP as a way to scope out and interview applicants. Perhaps this particular POI might have other interviews lined up during that time and will be deciding after SPSP for that reason.  

However, it seems that this program must be very interested in you based on the contact you have had. Fingers crossed for you!

So those of us who won't be attending SPSP are basically screwed if we haven't heard anything from any POIs yet?

3 hours ago, 01848p said:

So those of us who won't be attending SPSP are basically screwed if we haven't heard anything from any POIs yet?

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I only have one interview out of 13 schools that I applied to at SPSP. I think they use it to meet applicants if they'll be attending. 

4 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I only have one interview out of 13 schools that I applied to at SPSP. I think they use it to meet applicants if they'll be attending. 

What schools have you heard from, if you don't mind my asking? 

8 hours ago, 01848p said:

Not necessarily. SPSP would be a good, informal chance to chat with someone, but not everyone will have the opportunity to attend SPSP. (Personally, I work and cannot take the time off to attend. Other people would be in a similar situation.) It would be a poor reflection of the program to not consider someone simply because they did not attend an expensive conference.

Think of conference mingling as more of a way to make an initial impression versus the ultimate interview. 

45 minutes ago, Blackwater said:

Has anyone heard from UC Santa Cruz?

I haven't heard anything, yet. However, I did notice that someone posted on the results page that they were contacted earlier this month but it was for developmental psych. 

23 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I haven't heard anything, yet. However, I did notice that someone posted on the results page that they were contacted earlier this month but it was for developmental psych. 

Yeah I noticed as well so I was starting to get concerned 

Still waiting to hear from my schools as well, so everyone is in good hands. Although according to GradCafe's admission's page, DU has typically made their calls this week for the past few years. It's safe to say I'm a little nervous! 

I have had a few phone interviews and most of the questions have been pretty similar. Examples below:

• Why do you specifically want to work with the POI
  • Why do you want to attend that specific program
  • Describe your most important research experience and the main things you learned from it
  • Why do you want to pursue a PhD in social psych
  • Is there a specific line of research you want to pursue
  • Typical strengths and weakness questions

Also, be sure you have a few questions to ask them concerning the program and/or their research.

2 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Anyone who has already done interviews care to share some questions they were asked? I have my first one via phone on Friday and am currently not-so-slightly freaking out. Thank you!