Combine Personal statement & statement of purpose?

Hello,

I am applying to a university that wants me to submit two statements. A statement of purpose which is required and a personal background statement which is optional. According to their website the statement of purpose should focus more on my research, planned work and reasons for going to graduate school while the personal background statement should talk more about diversity and personal background.

I already have my personal statement written which basically covers both these areas. I feel my reasons for going to grad school, my background and research are all linked so my statement is stronger and more coherent if I write one single essay. Since the personal background statement is optional I am considering skipping it and submitting just one single statement of purpose. Do you think it would be ok if I submit a single statement or should I try to split my essay into two parts? 

Thanks

My SOP is similar in that in order to discuss my motivations for pursuing my desired degree, I need to give a bit of personal background. So I've been having the same question as you OP and would like to hear people's answers!

I already submitted my applications so it is too late to change now. I ended up writing a single statement. I described my personal background and motivation in the first half and my research and future goals in the second. To be honest I didn't have enough research to write the whole statement based on my work and interests so I had had to include some personal history stuff. Will see how it works out.

On 11/29/2016 at 5:17 PM, abcd1 said:

I already submitted my applications so it is too late to change now. I ended up writing a single statement. I described my personal background and motivation in the first half and my research and future goals in the second. To be honest I didn't have enough research to write the whole statement based on my work and interests so I had had to include some personal history stuff. Will see how it works out.

Depending on the school and individual reviewers. But I don't think that would give you a instance rejection.