GRE plan

Soheila

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Soheila,

You might like to try Preped ( http://www.preped.com/ ).

Preped is a marketplace for all practice test in GRE exams. We have gathered the world's leading gre experts and tutor to implement their tests in our program so that GRE/SAT/TOEFL/ACT takers won't get most of their time searching for practice test. They will only need to search in one place - Preped. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an international student too but I've been studying with Magoosh. I'm following their math beginners plan and it has really helped me,  right now I'm just focusing on Math since I have a good verbal score, but their verbal practice questions are really good.  Also, right now Magoosh has a 10% off on their GRE plans with the promo code: SUPERFAN

Hi Soheila,

I am an international student too. While I haven't used the CrunchPrep package, I did use this in-depth guide for the AWA, which I found the best guide on the market (I scored 5 in my first take of the GRE).

For the rest of my prep, I used Magoosh and, upon their recommendation, bought Manhattan's 5lb Book of GRE practice so I can beef up my math. The questions are similar to the ones you see from ETS (I took the GRE twice already and did the two PowerPrep II tests). The good thing about the 5lb book is that it also offers you additional practice questions online and the concepts in the book match those of the Magoosh videos, so you can watch the videos and practice from the 5lb book.

I also have ETS's Value Pack, which includes the Official GRE Guide and the Verbal and Quant practice books. These books are good to give you a sense of the test, but the material in them is not enough for a good, in-depth prep.

For vocabulary, I found Manhattan's 500 Essential and 500 Advanced flashcards very, very helpful. Each word has some etymology information, related words and pronunciation, which I found super-helpful in order to memorize and keep the words distinct in my head (a lot of words are in the same category, so it's hard to keep track of which one has what shade of meaning in its particular category).

Using all of these materials, my verbal score didn't budge (it was already in the 160s), but my quant score improved by 5 points.

Good luck with your prep!

Hi Soheila,

I'm also an international applicant. I took the GRE in October after prepping for a few months. I used the official ETS study guides for Verbal and Quant practice and bought the Kaplan Quant study guide. I only read after buying the guides that the Kaplan is not recommended as the practice tests are easier than the actual test, but I actually found it very useful. I hadn't done maths since high school (~10 years) and found it to be a great refresher. As I'm in the humanities, for quant I just wanted to score that fell in what I felt (after some research) was an acceptable range (154-158) and the material was sufficient to get me there. For verbal, I practised using powerprep, the ETS practice books and Magoosh's free resources and it ended up being fine. Where I fell down was in Analytical Writing, which in truth, I didn't spend any time prepping for. In hindsight, this was probably a mistake but I couldn't spend any more money on the GRE so I decided not to retake it.