MPP/MA in Public Policy... So many questions...

lr0901

Sorry, but this is going to be a long post, because I am still trying myself to figure out what I want… 

About me

I am a working professional considering obtaining a MPP or MA in Public Policy. I currently work for an Ivy League+ university in a large U.S. city in the alumni relations/development office, and while I generally enjoy my job, I'm trying to figure out my longer-term plan. I really enjoy working with the faculty and reading about their work, but I often wish I was the one getting to do interesting research rather than the person who only chases funding. Even if I were to stay in the development world, I feel like I need at least a master’s degree to advance beyond a certain point at an institution of higher education, and the people in the careers that appeal to me all seem to have advanced degrees. 

What I want:

I’ve considered getting a PhD since I was an undergrad, and “professor” is the only job that ever seems to appeal to me. However, I keep holding off because I know that my chances of becoming a tenured professor are pretty slim. 

I have a background in market/consumer research, which, while not academic in nature, has given me a taste of the research lifestyle.  I’ve found that I am very curious and really enjoy doing research and writing, but that I get restless if I do research/writing all day, every day. To be happy, I need a job that also gives me interaction with other people. I am definitely an extrovert. I tutor in my free time, and I really enjoy collaborating with and helping others. I also love to do public speaking. I need to work someplace where I feel like I’m contributing to the greater good. I was miserable in the corporate world. 

I think I’d like to work at a nonprofit/NGO or university doing something related to social policy/inequality, urban policy, or possibly education policy. I’m also interested in think tanks and possibly local government, though I’m not sure about that yet. I just started volunteering for a nonprofit that does community development, so we’ll see how that goes. 

Generally, I’m really interested in human behavior, and I’m especially interested in behavioral economics and its applications for public policy. I’ve considered getting a MSW instead of a policy degree, but I won’t be able to work full time while getting an MSW. Sociology programs present the same problem. If possible, I’d like to keep working at my job while going to school. I can’t imagine giving up my income for two years. 

Main questions I have: 

1. Is public policy research better suited to introverts than to extroverts? Do public policy research careers also allow for collaboration and teamwork?
  2. How much is “advocacy” a part of public policy work? As I mentioned, I really enjoy writing, public speaking, etc., so the concept of advocacy appeals to me. 
  3. If I were to continue working while going to school, I’d have to obtain an evening MA or MPP in public policy. Obviously, these programs are not from top-tier schools. Is there still a value to these degrees? I know that “value” is relative, but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. Does anyone else have a master’s in public policy from a school such as these? 
  4. If I can get into a top-tier public policy school (TBD), would it be silly for me to go to a much lower-tier program instead? 

Some additional background:
•    Graduated with a 3.94 GPA from a state school that focused on teaching over research. The school wasn’t prestigious in any sense. I was in the honors program. 
•    Major: Mass Communication (Public Relations); Minors in Rhetoric/Writing and Marketing
•    I haven’t taken the GRE yet, but I am studying for it. I scored in the 92nd percentile when I took the ACT, so I am hoping for an above average GRE score. 
•    I’ve worked several internships in public relations, spent a year or so in consumer research, and have been in fundraising/development for about a year. 

@lr0901: I love long posts and many questions! A rule of thumb in grad school was that if you had a question, chances were that a third of the rest of the class also had that question. =) We’ve all been there, so I’ll try to give you my two cents.

1. Is public policy research better suited to introverts than to extroverts? Do public policy research careers also allow for collaboration and teamwork? 
Both, and yes. Public policy research can include first-hand fieldwork/primary research as well as secondary research (literature reviews). Both introverts and extroverts will find something to enjoy. Also, public policy careers are all about collaboration and teamwork, and research is just one aspect on which you collaborate. In policy school, I found myself constantly engaged in group research projects, primarily client-facing, and that really is to prepare you for the amount of teamwork that is to come in the future.

2. How much is “advocacy” a part of public policy work? As I mentioned, I really enjoy writing, public speaking, etc., so the concept of advocacy appeals to me. 
Advocacy is a huge part! Many of my fellow Duke Sanford classmates are now working at state or federal-level advocacy organizations. It’s an incredibly important role in translating the impact of policy to the public, and I personally think you’d enjoy it. Check out some favorite advocacy organizations in your field. Chances are, they have research associate roles that require an MPA/MPP.

3. If I were to continue working while going to school, I’d have to obtain an evening MA or MPP in public policy. Obviously, these programs are not from top-tier schools. Is there still a value to these degrees? I know that “value” is relative, but I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. Does anyone else have a master’s in public policy from a school such as these? 

4. If I can get into a top-tier public policy school (TBD), would it be silly for me to go to a much lower-tier program instead?

To answer 3 and 4, I think “prestigious” and “top-tier“ are less useful terms than “fit” and “value” in judging programs. We all look to get slightly different things from the grad school experience, after all. What defines a valuable degree to me are the people involved. On one hand, your fellow students can really make or break your experience. 

My classes, extracurricular activities, and social life were really elevated by an inspiring cohort of people who had come out of the Marines, Peace Corps, even started their own companies, etc. At Duke, I found myself being pushed to work harder than I ever had before. Before I went to grad school, I also took evening classes in an MPA program at the university where I worked, with a very different crowd of working professionals and police officers. Those people pushed me to see things from different perspectives. Both cohort experiences are valuable - it just depends on what you’re looking for. 

On the other hand, a school’s alumni network is one of the most important assets you gain. Duke has a very strong network of alumni, and I leaned heavily on that network for informational interviews, internships, and the full-time job hunt. Certain state/federal gov offices and NGOs are just full of alumni from places like Princeton, Syracuse, Harvard, Columbia, etc. I was looking specifically for those two things in the cohort experience and the alumni network, so those things made Duke’s degree very valuable to me. Not all schools can attract the students that you want to study with, whoever they are, and especially younger schools or less rigorous schools will not have the same kind of alumni network. Figure out what value means to you, and then find out where it is!  

• 1 month later...