Is teaching at the same time worth it?

jaaaayciee

I planned on attending graduate school and just going full-time, focusing only on school. However, one of my education professors (undergrad) told me that majority of graduate programs and their classes are geared more towards students who are teaching at the same time as taking classes.

Of course, teaching at the same time would give me more experience and I would be able to have money coming in to support myself. However, I feel like it's EXTREMELY difficult to go to graduate school and be a first-year teacher.

What would be better?

@jaaaayciee I think my first year, I would have found it detrimental to my teaching. However, my fourth year, I decided to go full-time for my master's rather than teaching at the same time, and I found your professor to be correct. The program was geared toward teachers, and I wound up working full-time because I had the time even while taking a full load of classes. It also depends on what type of school you'll be working in. I worked in a school where I had to write all my own curricula and had multiple preps. If your school is more supportive, you may have the time to do both. 

Do you have the option of taking just one course during your first semester until you get a feel for how demanding teaching is?

@vaporeon I'm not sure if I have the option of taking just one course. If I stayed in state at my undergrad university I'm sure I definitely could, but I was really planning on going out of state for graduate school. It's safe to assume my education will be fully paid for one way or another, the job would mainly help with living scenario (so I don't have to live on campus), the experience, etc. 

I've thought about maybe teaching out of state while doing school part-time? But then I kinda figured like what's the point of going out of state to do that at all if it makes sense.

I know I could probably find a random job during master's but what's the point of getting a job that's not teaching-related, you know?

This depends on your focus and what you want to do after your grad work. For PhD students who want to go into academia it isn't advisable to teach (or work outside of academia) during school, because they will need time to focus on research.

Sounds like you are looking for  Masters though--and that you want to be a teacher after? You'll probably find that many of the programs are designed for part-time/evening students and you could teach during the day. However, if you can financially afford to just go to school without working, that might be nice--perhaps you could substitute teach to get in-school experience and make connections while you are going to grad school?

On 11/23/2016 at 8:28 AM, t_ruth said:

This depends on your focus and what you want to do after your grad work. For PhD students who want to go into academia it isn't advisable to teach (or work outside of academia) during school, because they will need time to focus on research.

Sounds like you are looking for  Masters though--and that you want to be a teacher after? You'll probably find that many of the programs are designed for part-time/evening students and you could teach during the day. However, if you can financially afford to just go to school without working, that might be nice--perhaps you could substitute teach to get in-school experience and make connections while you are going to grad school?

I never quite thought about just subbing, that's a great idea.

I am looking for my Master's and teaching right after. My biggest concern though is living wages. Is subbing enough for me to live on my own? Here in Nevada subs make about $100 a day, and that's if they get work. I know teachers don't make a huge amount of money nationally (I believe in Nevada they start at roughly $35k a year) but I know it'll be enough for me to live on my own. Assuming I do go out of state, that is.

It would be a personal decision whether that is enough money. Having your own classroom is an awful lot of work and it isn't just you to think of--you'd also want to think of the kids and if they'd be getting a good experience with a teacher that is burning the candle at both ends.

There are other options too that keep your teaching muscles flexed but allow for flexibility: aside from subbing, you could tutor at a learning center or privately, you could be an after school program teacher, you could find a job on campus working with undergraduates...

Edited by t_ruth

On 11/28/2016 at 0:37 PM, t_ruth said:

It would be a personal decision whether that is enough money. Having your own classroom is an awful lot of work and it isn't just you to think of--you'd also want to think of the kids and if they'd be getting a good experience with a teacher that is burning the candle at both ends.

There are other options too that keep your teaching muscles flexed but allow for flexibility: aside from subbing, you could tutor at a learning center or privately, you could be an after school program teacher, you could find a job on campus working with undergraduates...

Would a university let me work for them working with undergraduates? i assumed that only PhD students would be able to work as tutors, undergrads, etc.

19 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

Would a university let me work for them working with undergraduates? i assumed that only PhD students would be able to work as tutors, undergrads, etc.

There are often part-time jobs on campus available to current students (and non-students). The funding/employment that PhD students receive is different from these jobs.

Hello! I received my master's of education completely online so it was easy for me to teach full time and also go to school full time. It just depends on what you want to do. I found that online learning is easier (and less stressful) than having to drive to a university and sit in a classroom after a full-day of teaching. Plus, the classes were structured so that each course lasted only 5 weeks, with a week-long break in between each course. Now, I am a doctoral student who is also attending school completely online once again, through the University of Buffalo. I have found that doctoral courses are much more time-consuming and require more time than that of master's coursework, and it's much more demanding overall. Therefore, I did quit my full-time teaching job which was a HUGE sacrifice, but I do receive support from my university in the form of a Graduate Assistantship, in which I assist one of the professor's with research-related tasks up to 20 hours a week. I certainly do miss my teaching salary though! You have to be willing to make that kind of sacrifice for possibly up to 4 or more years, if you do wish to pursue your doctorate. I hope I have helped!

1 hour ago, kristinat08 said:

Hello! I received my master's of education completely online so it was easy for me to teach full time and also go to school full time. It just depends on what you want to do. I found that online learning is easier (and less stressful) than having to drive to a university and sit in a classroom after a full-day of teaching. Plus, the classes were structured so that each course lasted only 5 weeks, with a week-long break in between each course. Now, I am a doctoral student who is also attending school completely online once again, through the University of Buffalo. I have found that doctoral courses are much more time-consuming and require more time than that of master's coursework, and it's much more demanding overall. Therefore, I did quit my full-time teaching job which was a HUGE sacrifice, but I do receive support from my university in the form of a Graduate Assistantship, in which I assist one of the professor's with research-related tasks up to 20 hours a week. I certainly do miss my teaching salary though! You have to be willing to make that kind of sacrifice for possibly up to 4 or more years, if you do wish to pursue your doctorate. I hope I have helped!

Thank you very much for your input! I'm not too sure if I would like to pursue a PhD, but I used to always say i would never get a Master's and here I am. I did consider doing online classes but I'm a type of person who can't really focus on online classes and I'm just afraid I won't really get that much out of the education, especially if it's the exact same cost as in-class education.

• 1 month later...

@kristinat08, would it be okay to ask you a question about your online doctoral program. I can't relocate due to family obligations. So, I have to either find nearby schools or do it online. How does the graduate assistantship that you do with you professor work? Do you assist him online/remotely? If you prefer a PM, I'll be more than happy to reach out to you. Also, I'm not a NY resident. Much appreciated :-) 

• 1 month later...

@jaaaayciee I attended grad school while I worked full time as a high school teacher. Honestly, I would highly recommend working while attending grad school. Have you ever considered Teach For America or the Teaching Fellows programs? Or, perhaps other programs, like Citizen Schools?

5 minutes ago, bluesea1981 said:

@jaaaayciee I attended grad school while I worked full time as a high school teacher. Honestly, I would highly recommend working while attending grad school. Have you ever considered Teach For America or the Teaching Fellows programs? Or, perhaps other programs, like Citizen Schools?

I haven't really considered it but that's partly because I flat out don't know very much about these types of programs. I've heard of Teach for America, but I've also heard that you're kind of locked in a contract or something with them for like two years?

27 minutes ago, bluesea1981 said:

@jaaaayciee Yeah, pretty much, though you can technically leave. In any case, 2 years go by much more quickly than you think that they do. Do you know what you'd like to do in the long term?

Long term I would love to join one of those programs that focus on international teaching. I'm not too sure if I would want to go into administration, but I'm leaning more towards no right now.

• 2 weeks later...