Including desired faculty advisor detail in SOP?

I'm in the process of applying to PhD programs, and one of my friends is too. We've been editing each other's SOPs and she consistently includes a section on the professors that she would like to work with; I haven't, and every time I try to work this type of paragraph in it feels forced, and as my SOP is already too long it would mean details about my past research would have to be removed.

In short: is it necessary to discuss who you want to work with, even if this is not explicitly stated in the prompt?

Thanks!

Depending on your field, I would say this is necessary. Cut other sections if need be. It shows that you have an idea of the direction for your work, that you are familiar with the program and where you would fit in. Also, in my experience, they aren't going to admit someone if there isn't an identifiable adviser for them.

On 11/22/2016 at 2:58 PM, hspp16 said:

I'm in the process of applying to PhD programs, and one of my friends is too. We've been editing each other's SOPs and she consistently includes a section on the professors that she would like to work with; I haven't, and every time I try to work this type of paragraph in it feels forced, and as my SOP is already too long it would mean details about my past research would have to be removed.

In short: is it necessary to discuss who you want to work with, even if this is not explicitly stated in the prompt?

Thanks!

I would recommend against mentioning specific individuals. An academic department is a collection of black boxes within black boxes. You don't the politics and personal rivalries or even if the person mentioned has let it be known that she's going to leave for greener pastures in a year or two. 

Instead, I recommend using relevant sections of a SOP to demonstrate that you're very familiar with the fields and research interests of the professors with whom you imagine working. So, if a department of history is strong in American foreign relations, describe projects/interests that are in the wheel houses of two or three professors in that field. For example, don't just write about the Cold War, write about the impact of electoral politics or culture or race or gender in such a manner that your interest in working with Professor Atwell and Professor Spencer is both implicit but not written in stone.

My $0.02.

I am applying to Comparative Literature programs, and it is advised that we mention professors. One of my friends, who is applying to Archaeology, is doing so as well. She has also told me to include a few courses, to show how much the school fits my project, and that I bothered doing some research. 

Edited by Yanaka

• 2 weeks later...

I included the professors I'd like to work with. I even mentioned a recent research article of theirs and why we were a good fit... I listed coursework as well...

I do agree with Sigaba a bit - but I would instead advise that you contact the people you would like to work with and specifically ask them if they will be on campus the year you enter and are open to working with students. If you know the focus of your research you can even mention it as well.

It is advised to contact professors to each school you apply too... the fit is probably more important than GPA, just to give you a sense of how important it is for social science programs... so leaving out who you want to work with would be the equivalent of not mentioning your GPA....

People are not going to try and figure out who would match well with your research, you have to lay it all out there for them... remember, people are lazy and aren't going to look into things for your sake, so you have to take the initiative yourself

Each year I see people that are awesome on paper but get into the awesome candidate but rejected due to lack of fit