Studied for 5 months, performed poorly on exam

SundayMatinee

Hello all, 

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle: I am applying for graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology for what will now be my 3rd time. In my prior 2 application seasons, I had a combination of a poor GPA (3.1 overall, 3.5 last 60, & 3.7 major)  as well as poor GRE scores. I decided that since July I would begin studying for the GRE, as it is my last possible option to increase my competitiveness as a candidate. I've gained relevant work experience, had great SOP's and LOR's but if you don't have good GRE scores/GPA, it won't get you past the first round of decisions.

My initial scores on the GRE in 2014 were 136 quantitative and 144 verbal & 3.5 AWA. I studied diligently 5-6x a week for the past few months. My practice exams via Magoosh and Manhattan prep averaged my scores around 144-154 for both sections. However, this past Saturday when I took the exam, I completely bombed the quantitative with a 135. My verbal increased to a 149, but I was disappointed I didn't at least break 150. Needless to say, I felt very disgusted since I studied for so long.

However, I decided not to give up as I still can re-take the exam before most of my program deadlines. I intend to take the test again 3 weeks from now (Dec. 13) and study more of the quantitative while still  practicing verbal here & there. 

My question to you all is: What material would you think is the best quality that compares to ETS? I had the Magoosh 6 month trial but it expired & I'm debating if I should buy the 1 month prep for $80. I currently have at my disposal: the Manhattan prep 5lb book (which was very useful for studying quantitative), the 1-6 Manhattan prep series, The ETS official guide along with math & verbal, Baron's & McGraw Hill's New GRE math and GMAT review. I also have been reviewing the Magoosh free verbal practice cards and the two free power prep software mock exams. Of all this material, which do you think would be the most helpful to improve my score over the next 3 weeks? Also, have you found yourself in this type of predicament & somehow improved?

Sorry for such a long post & thank you for reading!

Edited by SundayMatinee

I suggest emailing the Magoosh support and asking them to extend your membership. I was able to extend mine for free for a month and I had originally bought mine back in 2014 (when I took the GRE and decided not to apply).

I just retook the GRE today and I got higher scores today even though I studied for a lesser amount of time. Last time I studied for 3 months only watching the Magoosh videos, doing the practice exams for each section, and practicing the same problems right after I learned them. This time I studied for a month off and on, and I did a few things differently. I did far more practice exams (including ETS's 2 free exams, Magoosh's custom practice, and 1 of Manhattan GRE's that come with the books). I looked at my areas of weakness, according to the problems I frequently missed (from Magoosh), and practiced on those areas separately and also did mixed practice (with all math or all reading), and watched videos with Magoosh for the ones I missed/guessed. I also went through a few of Manhattan GRE Prep's math books, and studied vocabulary with Magoosh's vocab application. I rewatched a handful of Magoosh's videos, especially for my weakness which was reading comprehension. I realized that it's more important to review concepts and practice them as often as you can. I avoided the math ones this time because I did not enjoy the instructor as much, and decided to use the books I had instead.  

To answer your question, continue using magoosh's  vocab app and ETS's practice exams. Since you already have the official guide I highly recommend doing many practice problems from there, mixed custom practice problems from Magoosh, as well as going through the Manhattan math GRE books. I didn't have time to go through them all, but I did still see a difference in my score. I did not use the 5 lb prep book, but I have heard good things about it. Also, Magoosh has lots of free resources including an ebook with vocab, and a 1 month study guide. Do as many practice problems as you can, and work on getting your time down and understand why you made mistakes. I realized I was rushing through reading the questions on verbal, leading me to get a question wrong that I would have otherwise gotten right.  

I hope that was helpful!

Edited by panda1991

If you are using Magoosh you can ask for an extension for up to 1 month after it expires, but I think it depends when your account expired. I asked for an extension when I still had 1 week left and they gave me 1 month :)

If you are planing on buying the 1 month plan I'd recommend to buy it before the 29th since right now they have a 20% off sale on all their products and they announced that after November 29 they will increase the price of their products.

Good luck!

Edited by coffeecupanalogy