University of Toronto vs. McGill for Neuroscience Masters Programs

facelessbeauty

Hi all. I am an American student who currently attends a top 50 liberal arts institution, and is potentially interested in attending graduate school in Canada. In particular I am looking at McGill and University of Toronto. I wanted to know if anyone had more information on which would be better, both in terms of fit and reputation according to the neuroscience research they produce. I will be applying for admission in Fall 2018 (so next round) after taking a gap year to do some kind of post-bac program or working as an RA/RT.

McGill is interesting to me because it actually has a Psychiatry masters program where you can do research that is directly related to that, whereas U of T does not have that. A PI that I worked with for my summer internship also has connections to some researchers there through a collaborator, and they are definitely participating in research that I am profoundly interested in (which is the role of stress circuitry in contributing to psychiatric illness). I feel as if this would be a great option for me since I am on the fence about if I enjoy research enough to consider a PhD, and if I were to go the medical school route I would likely pursue psychiatry.

U of T does have a research group that is also dedicated to understanding stress circuitry, but it's not based at their main campus and I have minimal experience with the other campuses. The program I am most interested in is the pharmacology program, which is more in line with the work that I have been exposed to given my research experience. The physiology program also looks interesting as well since my undergraduate research fits well into this category.

I know I have kept this brief but I would be happy to provide more info if anyone can help.

12 minutes ago, dandelion8 said:

hey there! I'm currently in the master's of psychiatry program at mcgill - not doing stuff related to neuroscience, but I can tell you more about the program in general if you want. what sorts of things do you want to know? :) 

Hi! I wad wondering if you could describe the courses you take, the research that people are doing (more specifically how interdisciplinary or clinical based it is), and just things about the school in general. Do you like the program? How did you know it was right for you, etc? Basically, tell me everything. xD

okay I'll give this my best shot haha. so far I really like the program, and my research is really interdisciplinary, but there's a few key things to know about the curriculum. first, you basically pick the courses you want to take - they can be from any department, as long as they're 500 level or over, and other than that you're doing thesis research all the time (very much like working 9-5). this was great for me because my coursework is very tailored, but the tradeoff is that you really don't meet anyone in the program. I'd say that's the biggest drawback - there is no cohesiveness in the program whatsoever. if I didn't already have friends here I think I'd be super lonely. I knew this program was good for me because I heard you could finish it in a year if you wanted, and could really tailor your coursework to your needs, and I'd say it's done exactly this for me so far. but in terms of other opportunities, like TAships, department talks, RAships, etc., you're very much on your own for that and need to figure it out on your own if it's going to happen. it's a very independent program and if you want to make the most of it you need to be assertive in seeking your own opportunities. 

let me know if you have any more specific questions!

• 3 years later...

Hi! Had no idea that McGill even offered this program. I applied to the Neuro MSc last summer and couldn't make it due to a lack of funding/space in my lab of choice. Like OP, I'm also interested in stress research... In what ways is the program unlike the Neuro program?

• 1 month later...

Hi! Congrats to everyone who got into the Masters in ehealth at McMaster. :) Fortunately, received an offer letter for this program for Fall 2020. Those who later accepted the offer , could you please tell me how was the experience? Does it seem like a good choice to go for this? Also, are employability prospects going to be good in Canada for grads in ehealth?

Edited by Irti