Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

I figured I would start this thread off for Canadian clinical psychology applicants for Fall 2017. There was a good thread going last year that I think helped a lot of people out. Might as well get it started before the applications are due!

Good luck to everyone this year! :) 

59 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

I know I am....it sucks trying to work on applications while working full time...

I feel this so much. I've been working 60+ hours per week for the past 2 months, so now I'm scrambling trying to get research proposals and my scholarship applications finished. Three more days until this nightmare is over!

On 11/28/2016 at 10:27 AM, Jessica_PhDwannabe said:

I'm applying to three Canadian schools, but I did not apply for any funding. Is that an insurmountable con in my application?!

This is something that varies from school to school. It most certainly helps, but, of course, applying to funding does not mean you are guaranteed success either. 

2 hours ago, beccsx0x said:

Does anyone know how long it typically takes once the applications are in for the profs to start contacting people for interviews?

Depends on the university. I heard from one school later in December but most early in January.

4 hours ago, beccsx0x said:

Does anyone know how long it typically takes once the applications are in for the profs to start contacting people for interviews?

I know for Dalhousie, the clinical faculty are going to meet in the first week of classes after the holidays and decide who gets cut based on grades, GRE, references, etc. I believe that after the first cut is made, profs get to go through the list and decide who they want to interview/accept. So it probably varies by POI. I also know from an acquaintance's experience that they don't send rejections until April ish. 

Edited by hsrnl

Some programs want to get a head start so at least one school in the Greater Toronto Area starts having their faculty members contact potential applicants late December for an early January meeting. But don't fall into too much of when you receive contact from potential supervisors! It's a slippery slope when you hear others get it, and wonder when you will!

Hey guys, I guess we are all waiting to see if we will get invited to interviews. What are your stats like, if you feel like sharing?

Then we can see who gets invites, etc. Hopefully this helps someone either this year or in future years!

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2016 at 11:36 AM, Cati said:

Hey guys, I guess we are all waiting to see if we will get invited to interviews. What are your stats like, if you feel like sharing?

Then we can see who gets invites, etc. Hopefully this helps someone either this year or in future years!

Sure! I'm above the 80th percentile in verbal and analytical as well as subject gre. For quantitative I'm in the 70th percentile. CGPA is lower (~B) due to a double major in science. Last 20 courses I have a 3.88/4.0. 5 years as a research assistant, 4 Years working in public health with adolescents/at risk youth focusing on substance misuse, safe sex, mental health and nutrition. 2 years working in the health field. And I'm 25. :)

Good luck to everyone!