Fall 2017 CANADIAN clinical psychology

BeezKnees

On 3/31/2017 at 3:13 PM, Psych.kitty said:

Rejections all around. Third year applying, 11 school apps later (per year). Does anybody have any tips on how they improved their chances for the next round of applications? Such a disheartening process. 

Psych.Kitty sorry to hear that, it is disheartening, and hard going, but you are not alone. I'm sure your determination will pay off one day. I'm sorry I don't have any tips because I have not been accepted anywhere yet.  Can I ask you if you heard back from McGill also?

On 04/03/2017 at 1:48 AM, BD101 said:

Got rejected at University of Ottawa for the MA [Ed] in Counselling Psychology, but accepted to the MEd - Concentration in Counselling Psychology (was automatically considered when I hadn't applied to the MEd). 

I'm sorry :( MEd is still great though! I've applied to the same program, did they notify you through email or uozone?

2 hours ago, coffeelover2317 said:

I'm sorry :( MEd is still great though! I've applied to the same program, did they notify you through email or uozone?

Thanks! I got an email to check my ozone account. 

On 4/5/2017 at 0:27 PM, crober42 said:

Psych.Kitty sorry to hear that, it is disheartening, and hard going, but you are not alone. I'm sure your determination will pay off one day. I'm sorry I don't have any tips because I have not been accepted anywhere yet.  Can I ask you if you heard back from McGill also?

yes I emailed my POI and he told me that he accepted another candidate (who already accepted the offer). I did not receive an official email though. 

I was rejected everywhere this time and so, I'm looking into applying again in December. I was just wondering, would it help improve my chances to complete a postgrad certificate program such as ABA/IBI (Applied behavioural analysis, behavioural science, etc)? 

To the applicants who did not receive any offers from schools I understand your disappointment, frustration, and every other emotion you are are experiencing. This is my third year applying to schools. For the past two years I have been strictly applying to clinical psychology programs as that was always my goal. This year (third attempt), I decided to apply to counselling psychology with CPA-accredited PhD programs, as well as clinical psychology programs. I was shocked when I was invited to interview at New Brunswick for clinical psychology but did not pass the committee's final decision. However, I got accepted into two counselling psychology programs. I always thought that there was no other alternative besides pursing clinical psychology. However, I have learned that a PhD in a CPA-accredited counselling psychology program offers many opportunities and I will ultimately achieve the same goals but using a different path to get there. My advice to those who are considering applying again in the Fall, don't be afraid to consider other possibilities and keep trying because your perseverance will pay off in the end. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Jungandrestless

17 hours ago, PhD_Wannabe01 said:

Has anyone heard from USask? I have a bad feeling, but I just wanna know :P

When I visited last week, I met a clinical student who had been accepted at the masters level. I'm assuming that means that they have sent out their first round of offers (at least) :(

Wondering if anyone has experience in this area or can offer advice: I have an offer from my 2nd choice, and am wait-listed at my first choice (where I have received SSHRC but am not accepted). My first choice has informed me that I should hear back early next week. However, this extends beyond the normal April 15th deadline, which is when I must respond to the other university by. I am assuming it is uncommon for universities to extend their deadline beyond April 15th? Not that I'm the first person it has happened to, but I think it's a bit unfair that I'm being put in this position in the first place - I thought April 15th was supposed to be the end-all date. Should I contact my second choice university and ask them to extend? I don't want to push my luck though, to be honest...

50 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Wondering if anyone has experience in this area or can offer advice: I have an offer from my 2nd choice, and am wait-listed at my first choice (where I have received SSHRC but am not accepted). My first choice has informed me that I should hear back early next week. However, this extends beyond the normal April 15th deadline, which is when I must respond to the other university by. I am assuming it is uncommon for universities to extend their deadline beyond April 15th? Not that I'm the first person it has happened to, but I think it's a bit unfair that I'm being put in this position in the first place - I thought April 15th was supposed to be the end-all date. Should I contact my second choice university and ask them to extend? I don't want to push my luck though, to be honest...

I think the deadline for a lot of schools is actually April 18th, presumably because the 15th is a Saturday. Could this be the case for the school where you're accepted? 

1 hour ago, Noctiv said:

I'm in a very similar situation, and after thorough panicking throughout last week, I am thinking of asking for an extension as well... Though hsnl has a good point here, I think the deadline might be the 18th as well due to the 15th falling on the week-end. But then again I don't know if this will help us.

Thanks to you both for your replies. It is a frustrating position indeed. Unfortunately, it does say on the letter that April 15th is the requirement. I panicked as well and just asked for an extension, but I don't have my hopes up. I might recommend that you do the same Neposydko, but I honestly don't know :/

Grrr... I don't understand why it's designed this way. Surely it would make more sense for them to have staggered deadlines such that people who did not receive first offers ALWAYS have until a later date?

Edited by Noctiv

5 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Thanks to you both for your replies. It is a frustrating position indeed. Unfortunately, it does say on the letter that April 15th is the requirement. I panicked as well and just asked for an extension, but I don't have my hopes up. I might recommend that you do the same Neposydko, but I honestly don't know :/

Grrr... I don't understand why it's designed this way. Surely it would make more sense for them to have staggered deadlines such that people who did not receive first offers ALWAYS have until a later date?

I know right! I'm really apprehensive of asking for the extension as that explicitly sends the message to the second choice school that they are second choice =P But then again, those kinds of things are to be expected I guess and the schools must be used to it. My guess is that the logistics of giving everyone a "second" deadline are difficult to manage, but indeed you'd hope there would be a better system in place for people like us :( 

2 minutes ago, Neposydko said:

I know right! I'm really apprehensive of asking for the extension as that explicitly sends the message to the second choice school that they are second choice =P But then again, those kinds of things are to be expected I guess and the schools must be used to it. My guess is that the logistics of giving everyone a "second" deadline are difficult to manage, but indeed you'd hope there would be a better system in place for people like us :( 

Yes, I know what you mean about the explicit message :/ Fingers super crossed that all of this just gets sorted out for us in the next day or two so that we can actually have a non-stressful long weekend!

3 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

Yes, I know what you mean about the explicit message :/ Fingers super crossed that all of this just gets sorted out for us in the next day or two so that we can actually have a non-stressful long weekend!

YES! :)  Fingers crossed!!!

Edited by Neposydko

47 minutes ago, Noctiv said:

That sucks :( I think you're definitely justified in asking when so many other programs have a later deadline... the common deadline for accredited programs was created to avoid this problem! And I don't know how they expect waitlisted people to make their decisions on such short notice. 

Best of luck :) Fingers crossed that it works out for you but if not, at least you have an acceptance in hand! 

Edited by hsnl

24 minutes ago, hsnl said:

That sucks :( I think you're definitely justified in asking when so many other programs have a later deadline... the common deadline for accredited programs was created to avoid this problem! And I don't know how they expect waitlisted people to make their decisions on such short notice. 

Best of luck :) Fingers crossed that it works out for you but if not, at least you have an acceptance in hand! 

Thanks, friend! Yes, fully agreed regarding the accredited program deadline. And yes, I think the whole system is in a bit of a need for some reworking (as do many things relating to academia/research) ;)

17 minutes ago, PhDPLZ said:

Has anyone heard from waitlists anywhere? Just wondering if getting off the waitlist really happens....

Yes - I have an offer from a waitlist right now, and possibly a second. It can happen!

18 hours ago, superfruitpsych said:

Would also like to say that the waitlist is possible. I was on two and have accepted one. Don't give up guys!

Congrats :) it's so great to see people getting in off wait lists!