Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

Hello! I thought I would start a thread for women's/feminist/gender studies applicants for fall 2017 to share stories, provide support, etc! 

I am so nervous... I have applied to four phd programs: emory, ucsc, ucla, and stonybrook, and 3 american studies phd programs: yale, harvard, and nyu. I really want to get in somewhere!! This application process has been so stressful, I'd hate to have to do it again. Where are y'all applying? How has the application process been for you?

Edited by kekology4
more specific

Does this topic apply to Comp Lit? :D 

I wish to specialize in feminism and gender studies, and I'm applying to UC Berkeley (<3), UCLA, Duke, NYU, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia. What made you not apply to Berkeley? 

@Yanaka it sure can! :) Berkeley doesn't have a full phd program in gender studies. i was actually interested in their ethnic studies program, but decided it wasn't the foundation i wanted. UCLA gender studies has a full phd program, with a lot of impressive faculty. Maybe a good place for a gender studies specialization. good luck!! 

@The Shade King I'm applying to UCSC feminist studies. It's hard to know much because the program is so young, but they have a lot of great faculty there, like angela davis and donna haraway. i also liked the focus on feminist pedagogy, thats one of the big things i was looking for.

I was looking at rutgers, but actually decided not to apply because someone in the field told me there are some disagreements among the faculty there. "factions" is how it was phrased. Didn't get much more than that, but it was enough to dissuade me. Still seems like a great program though. 

@kekology4 good to know! At this stage of my project I am more interested in the political dimension of literature and in the first surges of feminism in "popular" novels from the 19/20th centuries so not really going to specialize in GS for now. That's probably why UC Berkeley is my dream school! What do you guys think of Duke?

@MickeyRay thats probably a good idea lol. best of luck on your applications!

I come from womens and gender studies, with a focus on transnational feminisms. where are you coming from?

@Yanaka oo very interesting!! i don't know much about duke, but i know its considered a great school. 

Thanks @kekology4! Yes, a professor told me Duke was "the Harvard of the South". I think it's great that they're situated in a "problematic" state and have inclusive and diverse departments and interests. They seem to have a pretty rich and dynamic WGS department! 

@MickeyRay that's very cool! and thank you. My top pick is santa cruz. The program seems perfect for me. Whats your top pick? 

@yanaka yes that is good to hear. I took a quick look at their program and it looks very solid! 

Has anyone submitted applications yet? I've submitted 3, 4 to go ^_^

@MickeyRay right? I cannot wait to see if i get in. and Indiana and santa barbara looked great, it was hard ruling them out

I've been trying not to get my hopes up, but it's hard now that all my apps are finished lol. i just want to know already! 

Congrats on finishing your wgs apps!! and good luck with the rest. breaks are good and needed, i had to take a day or two between submitting each app lol. so much pressure! 

34 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

@kekology4 @Yanaka @The Shade King

Hey guys

Discussion question:

Do you think the results of the election will have any bearing on the application season this year? Why, why not?

Funny you should say that, because I've very briefly mentioned it in my personal statements (not SOP's). I certainly hope so! Hahaha

Well I hope it will give these kinds of studies a boost, given how urgent it is to keep fighting for inclusiveness. But I hadn't thought about less funding...

(Sadly, I didn't. Despite the outrage on social media and the campaigns to protest/march, a large majority of Americans--esp the ones who didn't vote for Orange Man--are apathetic about the political process.)

But back to the topic at hand: I'm not applying to WGS programs specifically, but my top choices all have a WGS graduate certificate. Ideally, I would like to be placed in a WGS (or American Studies) department in 5-6 years.

That's a good point, the regime is likely going to have more substantial effects on programs after its already been in power for a bit. 

Apparently trump's transition team has just asked the state department to report all info on positions, programs, and funding within the state department that are related to women's and gender issues: programs that “promote gender equality, such as ending gender-based violence, promoting women’s participation in economic and political spheres, entrepreneurship, etc.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/josh-rogin/wp/2016/12/22/trump-team-asked-state-department-for-info-on-womens-issues-programs-stoking-fears-of-another-witch-hunt/?utm_term=.f6c2a55052a7

Who knows what they're planning. 

@NoirFemme welcome! 

I'm applying to Emory's program too! They have such amazing faculty for what I want to do. Elizabeth Wilson <3 <3 <3

I visited Rutgers' program, and I personally really really liked it. I'd be curious what was meant by the whole "factions" thing. 

Edited by Wolverine_Champ

@Wolverine_Champ good luck!! according to what theyve said and past results we're going to be finding out really soon.. and unfortunately i don't know much more than that. 

@cristyarline do you know about the results thing here on grad cafe? http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=oregon+gender looks like people have found out in late january/early feb in the past! 

Hi everyone! Just recently discovered this forum - checking the results page is killing me! I just got searched by someone from Santa Barbara last night on Academia.edu... I guess at least I got enough interest to garner a moment on Google? 

I do queer theory and animal studies (current project is on gay rodeos), applying to both WGS and Anthro programs.

Gender programs: UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, Emory, Rutgers

Anthro: Northwestern, NYU, Yale, Columbia, Harvard, Vanderbilt, Rice, U of Chicago, UT Austin (UTA), Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

Thanks @kekology4

To add to earlier discussions, I'm coming from a BA in Gender, Women, and Sexuality studies and a lot of my research has been about sexuality assault, consent, and rape culture on university campuses in the US. However, I am actually applying to Emory's MD/PhD program looking to get my PhD in WGSS, and focus on developing a fundamentally feminist understanding of the science on which medicine is based, as well as its practice. With a focus on trauma, and how to constantly and simultaniously understand it as operating on the physiological, physical, psychological, social, and cultural levels, and how that could inform our practice of medicine, then figure it out by practicing it.

Hahaha, I joked about hoping Trump will at the least mean they'll see how.much people.with education in feminist studies are needed. I don't have high hopes though. America is finally showing its true colors, so that's nice. Clearly a lot of people are struggling to realize this is what the reality is and has been for a while now, and some people have responded by externalizing that anger towards others rather than thinking about how they're implicated in what is happening in the US and how they should take a moment to think about why they're surprised, was their understanding of how.bad the situation truly was in America really so far off that this is surprising? If so, what does that say.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. I hope you guys hear back good news soon!!! I wish you all the best of luck!

Follow up question, how.many of you folks have cats??