Women's/Feminist/Gender Studies Fall 2017

kekology4

12 minutes ago, appleandpear said:

So it looks like the offers have gone out. She said that if the offer is not accepted, then they'll contact the next person on the list but that she doesn't have access to that waitlist. They have two weeks to respond. 

:( 

Ouch. Guess that's it then... 

Guys, is it a bad sign that I still haven't heard from any of the UCs ( SC, SB, LA)!

I hear they have sent out the acceptances already, some people received calls. I see nothing on my grad eapp or my mail..

Zilch! Does that mean I have been rejected or waitlisted?

30 minutes ago, tanayamohanty4 said:

Guys, is it a bad sign that I still haven't heard from any of the UCs ( SC, SB, LA)!

I hear they have sent out the acceptances already, some people received calls. I see nothing on my grad eapp or my mail..

I can only speak for UCSC (although I also applied to UCSB and haven't heard anything either). UCSC is having visiting day for accepted students next week, so I'm assuming if you haven't heard anything, it's not good news. I don't know how they deal with their wait list though... every school is a bit different. This whole process is the worst!

48 minutes ago, tanayamohanty4 said:

15 minutes ago, kguptaa said:

I can only speak for UCSC (although I also applied to UCSB and haven't heard anything either). UCSC is having visiting day for accepted students next week, so I'm assuming if you haven't heard anything, it's not good news. I don't know how they deal with their wait list though... every school is a bit different. This whole process is the worst!

UCSB also had their admit weekend recently and those of us on the waitlist have been notified. I didn't apply to UCLA for gender, but it is my home institution and department. From what I understand, they sent out offers early last month. I'm unsure about waitlists though.

Guys, I applied to the Lit department and I got a phone call on the 27th of Feb from Professor Camilo Gomez-Rivas who told me that I'd been recommended. So I asked, does that mean that I've been accepted, and he said, yeah, well, we're supposed to say recommended. I'm assuming, since I heard a bit late, that I may have been on the wait list but that they don't really notify about that. But the problem is now it's been almost a week and I haven't received an official acceptance letter or information about funding. I did receive a mail about the orientation though. Should I contact the Dean? Super anxious here. Wondering if it may have had something to do with mentioning on the phone that I'm also waiting to hear from other places! But then I was asked!!

@radicule I wouldn't worry! Official letters can come weeks and weeks after the unofficial acceptance, from what i've seen. i received an unofficial acceptance february 1, and still have not received the official letter! 

On my end, I just learned the other day that I received a fellowship stony brook nominated me for. I'm so thrilled. In addition to boosting my stipend, it alleviates my teaching responsibilities for the fifth year, and gives me a generous stipend for that year. It's my only acceptance so far - shows you just need one! 

@kekology4 thanks a lot! I actually managed to get a response from the professor that I had contacted before the apps, who assured me that the official letters will be sent out very soon. Congratulations on your acceptance at Stony Brook!

I had contacted a professor, too who immediately replied that she'd love to take me as a fellow for PhD but now I haven't heard anything from her. That was way before the apps and now I'm checking my mail day and night for one simple letter of acceptance. It breaks my heart. 

UCs still keeping me waiting and nobody ever received the call at the grad div office.

?

I got waitlisted at Kansas University. They only accepted 2 students. The dean called me today and told me she was looking for funding for me and she'd let me know ASAP. She reassured me that I had a really strong application, but that everyone is strapped for funding.

6 hours ago, jasminecity said:

I just declined my offer at McMaster. Hoping a spot will open up for you! Cheer up <3 

thanks for the heads up! :) so have you decided where to go then? 

Did anyone else get a really weird ambiguous email from u of Maryland reassuring them that "your app is still being considered" and "app review is on going" and they're starting to send out decisions starting March 10th until April 14th.... they'll be in contact soon?? 

So just to keep us on our toes then? Haha 

@MickeyRay maybe to keep people interested and not lose applicants who may otherwise think they've been rejected

for people who want to know about stony brook, I just got my formal fellowship offer in the mail today. i haven't gotten the general formal letter of offer yet, as I assume I will get something else.

Edited by kekology4

1 hour ago, PetiteFilleNoire said:

@MickeyRay UMD Women's Studies had their admitted students/visiting weekend earlier this week (I was there at the same time for American Studies). I suspect that they are likely referring to a wait list. 

Thank you for this insight! Yeah I wonder if all applicants received this email or if it was just a select few on the waitlist? Do you have an estimate of how many individuals were there for the Women's Studies department?

Does any1 have any insight into what a research assistantship would be like in a women's and gender studies department? I don't know much about RA positions in general. 

10 hours ago, kekology4 said:

Does any1 have any insight into what a research assistantship would be like in a women's and gender studies department? I don't know much about RA positions in general. 

Thats a good question for the department! I think it really varies not only on the school but also on with whomever you would be working and their discipline. At U of Cinci one prof said they expect the grad student to do research for about 20 hours/week, and that it would be going through a bunch of different articles on their topic and pulling ones that are relevant to the paper that they are writing. She is sociology though. 

11 hours ago, kekology4 said:

Are you an RA for the department or for an individual professor? Of course this varies depending on where you are, but some "typical" duties I've seen for RA positions for the department include (somewhat higher level) administrative/research work that can't be delegated to an undergrad: editing a department newsletter or writing relevant articles/blurbs; keeping the website updated with faculty/student news; compiling department reports on undergrad/grad teaching for the graduate division; working on internal grant applications (e.g. to renovate TA office); and planning department events (e.g. securing speakers for a weekly colloquia).

For professors, the work tends to be more focused on their individual research: compiling appropriate literature for a current project/writing annotated bibliographies; transcribing or coding interview data; copyediting book chapters; putting together a bibliography/index; working on getting permissions for images; checking citations/formatting, etc. 

Though I'm sure your department could probably give you more specifics, this is a general idea of what RAships have looked like (in my experience)! Hope this helps :)

Thank you both! That was very helpful @hj2012

I've been offered a stipend that requires I work as a TA, RA, or graduate assistant. I don't know if it would be for the department or an individual professor. I have some meetings coming up with professors for whom I'd be interested in working as an RA, and they said they'll tell us about "research opportunities" at admit day, so we'll see!

Hi everyone! Congrats to all those who have received acceptances! I was just curious if anyone has heard anything back from UCLA? I'm wondering whether its just over now for those who haven't heard anything by this point.