Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

The deadline is almost upon us! How is everyone doing?

I just found out that my supervisor/boss didn't mail off a reference letter that needed to arrive at the school by December 1 and I'm freaking out right now. 

3 hours ago, St0chastic said:

@FacelessMage It might be worth asking if the letter can be submitted via email or uploaded. It's a bit bizarre to me that a school would require you to physically mail a letter in the year 2016.

The school doesn't have an upload system for the reference letters. They literally wanted everything physically mailed to the school, and they won't consider applications where any of the parts arrive after December 1. I'm so frustrated and upset with this whole process. I basically just spent $100 for nothing at this point. 

I am incredibly nervous. Applying to 7 schools. 162 (90) Verbal, 159 (73) Quant, 4.5 (82)Writing on GRE and 760 (93) on psych GRE. 3.68 GPA. 2 years of research, 2 years of inpatient work, and one poster presentation. I am hoping that my stats will be enough to at least get me an interview as I match pretty closely with all the labs. Biting my nails and crossing my fingers !

19 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

The school doesn't have an upload system for the reference letters. They literally wanted everything physically mailed to the school, and they won't consider applications where any of the parts arrive after December 1. I'm so frustrated and upset with this whole process. I basically just spent $100 for nothing at this point. 

Go to his/her office with a prepaid Express/Overnight envelope.  Whyyyyyyy must people make this so difficult?  Best of luck with your applications!

9 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

Go to his/her office with a prepaid Express/Overnight envelope.  Whyyyyyyy must people make this so difficult?  Best of luck with your applications!

I had to do this last year and then rushed to the post office with barely 5 minutes before they closed the doors.  Absolutely ridiculous that 1) every school hasn't done away with snail mail materials and 2) that letter writers procrastinate this much.

2 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

I don't think they do overnight if it's international, sadly. Luckily, the graduate office will except an emailed copy, so I'm relieved. I just need to spam him until it gets done. 

8 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

How is everyone feeling about potentially getting interviews? It's kinda nerve-wrecking to think that so much of this process is dependent on the level of quality of our specific cohort, which is really out of our control.

I am confident some times and not so confident other times. But I am ALWAYS anxious about it so my strategy has just been to dissociate into video games during all possible free time and to refresh my email AT MOST maybe 25 times a day. 

11 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

How is everyone feeling about potentially getting interviews? It's kinda nerve-wrecking to think that so much of this process is dependent on the level of quality of our specific cohort, which is really out of our control.

I didn't get any last year (which was surprising since I had a few the years before). I'm hoping now that I'm working in a clinical position I'll get at least one. 

9 hours ago, lalaman said:

I am confident some times and not so confident other times. But I am ALWAYS anxious about it so my strategy has just been to dissociate into video games during all possible free time and to refresh my email AT MOST maybe 25 times a day. 

Yepppp ^^^^

5 hours ago, lalaman said:

What are some of your research interests ? I'm applying almost exclusively to labs that focus on reward learning and motivational abnormalities in people with schizophrenia. 

I research forensic psychology. I applied to anyone I could find doing risk assessment or psychopathy research, and to any programs that had specialty training in forensics. 

14 hours ago, lalaman said:

What are some of your research interests ? I'm applying almost exclusively to labs that focus on reward learning and motivational abnormalities in people with schizophrenia. 

I've applied to peds psych focused POIs and child clinical programs

Hi all! I applied to Clinical Psychology PhD programs this year, as well as suicide prevention-focused Epidemiology programs. I'm embarrassed to say this is my fifth round of applications, though my first four were in Social Psychology. Best of luck to everyone. I saw someone already got an interview for Florida State--is that person here? I applied there also and would love some more info.

On 12/4/2016 at 5:45 PM, lalaman said:

Eating disorders, acceptance- and mindfulness-based psychotherapies, yoga

9 hours ago, nervous_nellie said:

Good luck to you!! This is my first time applying, but I cant stop thinking about the potential interviews. Some of my schools start notifying in the next 2 weeks or so.

Which schools are those, if you don't mind me asking? I kinda thought most/all programs would wait until early January to review apps and send interview invitations

On 12/4/2016 at 4:45 PM, lalaman said:

Mine are mostly related to depression/anxiety/suicidality during development  in child & adolescent populations, but also the same issues within the (youth) LGBT community