Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

1 hour ago, JacobW83 said:

Which schools are those, if you don't mind me asking? I kinda thought most/all programs would wait until early January to review apps and send interview invitations

Several programs have already started extending interview offers!

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=clinical+psychology&t=a&o=

1 hour ago, beyondnervous said:

I am so excessively anxious and obsessive, that I already know when all of the schools I applied to usually start sending out their invites. If some of you are as anxious as I am, please feel free to do so as well... lol. For example, if you type in "Psychology Yale", it will show you when the invites/rejections were sent out for Yale last application rounds. You're welcome.

Haha I started working on a spreadsheet on Friday... :)

Same with the anxiety and obsession.  I'm mostly concerned that UCSB has already been extending Skype interviews, and that was my first choice school.  At least from previous years, I noticed that they don't all come out all at once, so maybe the POI's do it differently and on different days?  It's nerve wracking because when I mapped out all the schools, my first choice schools give results first and my least choice schools are last...which on one hand is good, that if I get in one of my faves, I could theoretically blow off the rest, but it's nerve wracking as the most important ones are first!

6 minutes ago, beyondnervous said:

Don't panic, I am sure it varies by professor, and some professors don't hold Skype interviews at all? I think if many Skype interviews are posted on grad cafe by next week and you haven't received anything, I'd reach out to your POI.

And trust me, I know how you feel, my top choice makes their interview offers by Dec 15-23rd, so I am an emotional wreck already.

Thanks!  My other wishful thinking is that because I'm local-ish, maybe they would skip the Skype interview?  I mean my thinking if I were a POI is that I wouldn't want to cause someone the expense of flying out unless the person had a good shot.  So, I could see how maybe Skype interviews could be used to more specifically target people that are far away, before expenses are incurred?   Whereas, if I had an in person interview, I wouldn't be incurring much expense at all comparatively, so a rejection after would feel less harsh than someone who flew out and then was rejected.  I don't know if that's actually thing, but it's a nice thought.

Good luck to you too! :) 

On 12/4/2016 at 2:45 PM, lalaman said:

What are some of your research interests ? I'm applying almost exclusively to labs that focus on reward learning and motivational abnormalities in people with schizophrenia. 

Autism.

9 hours ago, JacobW83 said:

Which schools are those, if you don't mind me asking? I kinda thought most/all programs would wait until early January to review apps and send interview invitations

Just based on information that I found from last year.. University of Georgia, Eastern Michigan, Oklahoma State 

I'm sure there are others, but those are schools that I am waiting on.

On November 29, 2016 at 8:27 PM, FacelessMage said:

I don't think they do overnight if it's international, sadly. Luckily, the graduate office will except an emailed copy, so I'm relieved. I just need to spam him until it gets done. 

Good luck! I'm guessing thats the SHU application! They notified very early so you should be hearing back in a few weeks (prior to Christmas) about a potential interview! 

On 12/4/2016 at 4:45 PM, lalaman said:

What are some of your research interests ? I'm applying almost exclusively to labs that focus on reward learning and motivational abnormalities in people with schizophrenia. 

My research interest center around substance use, recovery, as well as mental health stigmatization. Pretty much found substance use fits in labs. Prefer to study recovery outcomes but most people focus on individuals in active addiction. 

Edited by Dondante_MMJ
Typo

10 hours ago, daisy_may said:

Good luck! I'm guessing thats the SHU application! They notified very early so you should be hearing back in a few weeks (prior to Christmas) about a potential interview! 

Yep! Sadly it won't be considered because I didn't submit the third party evaluation to prove that my degrees were equal to those found in the US lol. I didn't feel like forking out the $200+ when SHU was the only American school I applied for that actually required it. 

Any self-care strategies you all have found helpful as we await interview/rejection notifications? One of my friends at my school got an interview, and while I am super happy for them, it also slightly elevated my nervousness (I didn't apply to the school they got a notification from, so it doesn't reflect on me, but social comparison is hard to shake.) 

On 12/4/2016 at 3:45 PM, lalaman said:

I'm interested in suicidal behavior. 

29 minutes ago, lalaman said:

I love reading all the different responses !! Okay now I'll ask another question :

Which program that you're applying to is your number 1 and why? For me I think its Berkeley because of my POIs lab, the teaching courses, and the colloquia

The University of Florida is one of my top choices, but I am very happy with all of the programs that I have applied to.

1 hour ago, lalaman said:

I love reading all the different responses !! Okay now I'll ask another question :

Which program that you're applying to is your number 1 and why? For me I think its Berkeley because of my POIs lab, the teaching courses, and the colloquia

I am split between Montana and UNC Wilmington. At Montana there are a few POI's that I like, one studies stigmatization of mental health and the other examines substance use in the native american population. Then at UNCW, it is a new program and they have a substance use with co-occurring mental health disorders track as well as a POI that examines motivation in offenders sentenced to drug and therapeutic courts. 

On 12/4/2016 at 5:45 PM, lalaman said:

I'm interested in suicidal thoughts and behaviors. I was pretty calm throughout the whole application process, but now that everything is in and I'm just waiting, I'm super nervous. Wishing everyone luck!! 

32 minutes ago, psychpride9 said:

How old is everyone here/how many years have you been out of undergrad? :) Hope everyone is coping with the waiting game well!

I'm 26, and I've been out of undergrad for almost 5 years at this point. I hope I won't be too old by the time I finish my PhD!

1 hour ago, psychpride9 said:

How old is everyone here/how many years have you been out of undergrad? :) Hope everyone is coping with the waiting game well!

25 and I'll be out of college 3 years if I start in the fall. I think it's a great time to start grad school. You've had time to mature and solidify what you'd like to do for your career. I was able to get some really amazing experience in the field for the past 2.5 years, things that only strengthened my application. 

6 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

28 ? I've been out of undergrad 6 years, got my masters 4 years ago. I'm having a lot of "why does everyone have their life together except me!" Thoughts lately. 

9 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

I'm 24 (but 25 in April) and out of undergrad about 3 years! Been working at a behavioral health hospital for 2 years since grad and really ready to return to research. 

17 hours ago, psychpride9 said:

I am 28 years old. I graduate with my undergrad degree in a week. Spent 3 years in college for business at 18, didn't enjoy it, worked construction or a few years and decided to go back for a psych degrees. Worked the past two years at a substance recovery center and a recovery living home while volunteering at treatment centers and going to school. I would think most people applying for clinical are older than 22, adds some maturity.

I'm 30.  I will finish a PhD in History this June, and then, I applied for PhD in Clinical Psychology for this fall.  My current dissertation is on history of autism, and I worked with autistic adults "on the side" for 5 out of the 8 years of my History PhD, but in short, realized I had more clinical interests that pure academic history.  I don't think age matters so much, unless it's different for psychology than history; in my history program we have graduate students from early 20s to late 50s.  

I am still totally freaking out about how many people have heard back from UCSB already....  

48 minutes ago, whatsaname said:

UCSB has an earlier deadline than most (11/15) so while it is quite early, it isn't like they were a 12/1 deadline like most

I know.  I applied there, and I haven't heard anything...