Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

On 12/4/2016 at 4:45 PM, lalaman said:

What are some of your research interests ? I'm applying almost exclusively to labs that focus on reward learning and motivational abnormalities in people with schizophrenia. 

I'm applying to both counseling and clinical programs. I applied to any labs with a focus on forensic assessments, juvenile delinquency and treatment of mentally disordered persons in correctional facilities  

On 12/7/2016 at 8:13 AM, lalaman said:

I love reading all the different responses !! Okay now I'll ask another question :

Which program that you're applying to is your number 1 and why? For me I think its Berkeley because of my POIs lab, the teaching courses, and the colloquia

I think Texas Tech (counseling) or Missouri Columbia (clinical) are my top. I honestly don't know how I'll choose if I get offers from both. My POI at Tech is my mentors BFF and I've already met with him so I know our personalities click..as for Missouri, I just really love my POI's research projects and lab.

16 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

I think Texas Tech (counseling) or Missouri Columbia (clinical) are my top. I honestly don't know how I'll choose if I get offers from both. My POI at Tech is my mentors BFF and I've already met with him so I know our personalities click..as for Missouri, I just really love my POI's research projects and lab.

I applied to Texas Tech counselling too! Who was your POI?

@stereopticons I applied to quite a few, 14 to be exact. A couple of examples are Florida State, U of Utah, etc.

On 12/8/2016 at 7:23 PM, psychpride9 said:

How old is everyone here/how many years have you been out of undergrad? :) Hope everyone is coping with the waiting game well!

I'm 22, I'm attempting to make it right out of undergrad.

I got an email from my POI at UCSB's combined program asking for additional info last week but haven't heard back. 

Anyone else on the same boat? 

Edited by minkynari

10 minutes ago, beyondnervous said:

I don't want to discourage you, but having worked with 2 DCTs and Graduate chairs, I have been told adcoms usually like to accept students around the 24 y/oish mark min. I hope that's not the case for you of course. Especially if you have at least 1.5-2 years of solid experience, they may overlook your age in comparison to the other competitive candidates?

I think every program handles age differently. I am 23 and I have my MA in psych. I have been told my age will likely not be a factor for some schools, but that it could be a factor in others. I am happy to apply anyway and see what happens! 

45 minutes ago, beyondnervous said:

I don't want to discourage you, but having worked with 2 DCTs and Graduate chairs, I have been told adcoms usually like to accept students around the 24 y/oish mark min. I hope that's not the case for you of course. Especially if you have at least 1.5-2 years of solid experience, they may overlook your age in comparison to the other competitive candidates?

I wonder if the young age can be offset by strength of GPA/GRE/research experience. Especially if a younger applicant (e.g. 22-23) has papers under review, multiple conference presentations, etc. Hopefully their application wouldn't automatically be rejected based on age, though I'd be curious to hear if this is the case at any program.

20 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I applied to Texas Tech counselling too! Who was your POI?

Dr. Morgan! If you're forensic, I'm sure that's who you are applying to right? I'm not sure if you have met with him yet but he is super nice just fyi if you get an interview! He told me he looks at GRE scores pretty intensely and mine don't stand out so I'm not getting my hopes up too much about an interview but after talking with him for the past year, I've got my fingers crossed.

Edited by psychlife4me
misspelling

On 12/8/2016 at 8:23 PM, psychpride9 said:

How old is everyone here/how many years have you been out of undergrad? :) Hope everyone is coping with the waiting game well!

I'll be turning 25 next month! I went an extra year in undergrad for a second degree and took the past two years off for research/clinical experience :)

@stereopticons Best of luck to you too! Perhaps we'll interview at the same place and not even know it.

@beyondnervous That's interesting, I hadn't even thought about my age. I think my GRE, GPA, and research experience is solid, but what is the concern over age? I'm guessing the concern would be maturity, but hopefully that is something a program knows can't be assessed fully without an interview. If a program looks at my application and likes everything they see but my age precludes them from offering me an interview, then I guess I didn't want to go there anyway ;)

20 hours ago, beyondnervous said:

Absolutely! And having a MA degree under your belt should make you a very competitive candidate.

BTW- I also applied for U of Houston- my focus is with their trauma center. I didn't apply to the rest of the schools you applied to, so I'm guessing it's not the same POI(s) lol.

That's great. I love the program's breadth of research areas. My focus is not with their trauma center so we are probably not applying to the same POIs. I wish you the best of luck in your applications!!

6 hours ago, nervous_nellie said:

Does anyone have any tips for a Skype interview with POI and grad students? 

I am freaking out! I don't think I can handle interview invitations. I almost passed out receiving one Skype interview. 

Wear pants. ;)

In all seriousness, do dress professionally as you would for an in-person interview. If you have an office where you can do the interview, I would do that rather than at home. I did a Skype interview for a job at home and my cat wandered on screen. A great thing about Skype interviews, though, is you can have your cv, answers to sample questions, SOP, or whatever document you think will help open on your computer at the same time for easy reference. Otherwise, they are mostly the same as in person interviews. 

8 hours ago, whatsaname said:

I see that several people have already been offered Skype interviews for UCSB and it seems like one in-person interview invite has been extended. Has anyone else heard back about in-person interviews? 

I haven't heard a single thing from UCSB, and I thought I had a strong application.  Are you an applicant, and if so, what are your research interests?  It appears the dates are varying on the Skype interviews, so I'm guessing it's specific to faculty members.  I applied for autism interests.

58 minutes ago, Slothanos15 said:

Hi all, I see that quite a few FSU interviews have gone out now. Would those of you who received interviews PM me your POI's? Thanks in advance! This whole process is nerve-wrecking :unsure:

I'd like to second that request. I recently completed a skype interview with my POI at FSU, and am curious whether those receiving in-person interviews differ as a function of research interests. I suspect there may be different timelines, but my nerves are getting the best of me. 

Edited by theman5141

1 hour ago, Slothanos15 said:

Hi all, I see that quite a few FSU interviews have gone out now. Would those of you who received interviews PM me your POI's? Thanks in advance! This whole process is nerve-wrecking :unsure:

I am really curious about this too. And by curious I mean freaking out...

3 hours ago, theman5141 said:

I'd like to second that request. I recently completed a skype interview with my POI at FSU, and am curious whether those receiving in-person interviews differ as a function of research interests. I suspect there may be different timelines, but my nerves are getting the best of me. 

How did your Skype interview go? Any tips?

On 12/12/2016 at 6:00 PM, Slothanos15 said:

Can those with FSU interviews also please PM me their POI's? I feel that I have a very strong application, but my potential mentor has not replied to any of my interest/introduction emails and I have also heard nothing about interviews. I saw that some are supposed to go out on the week of the 19th though so I'm holding out hope. I do psychophysiology/neurobiology research, so no need to bother if that's not what you applied for. TIA!!!? 

Edited by LaVerne