Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

On 12/12/2016 at 6:00 PM, Slothanos15 said:

Hi all, I see that quite a few FSU interviews have gone out now. Would those of you who received interviews PM me your POI's? Thanks in advance! This whole process is nerve-wrecking :unsure:

To those who have received interview from FSU - could you also PM me your POIs? Thank you in advance as well! 

Edited by dsqw11

25 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

So this is my first in-person interview (I've only ever done phone interviews before). What do people usually wear when interviewing and to the socials before/after? Would I need to wear a suit? 

Wear a suit for the interview. I've typically worn dress pants and a blazer, and flats because there's often a lot of walking. For the socials, if you have time to change, you can wear something still professional but not necessarily a suit, like a sweater and dress pants. If you don't have time to change, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck!

I agree with stereopticons, I wore a suit for the actual interview on my first round of apps and I'd say like 80% of the other male applicants did too. It's better to err on the side of overly-formal with this opportunity, rather than risk dressing too casually. 

For the dinners/socials it kinda depends on the context. The one I went to was super casual at a grad-student's house (no PoIs there) and everyone was dressed in typical "going to a friend's dinner party" semi-formal stuff. I'd definitely email the grad students or coordinators as the interview date approaches to check about typical expectations for those events, because some may be in more formal contexts than others -- but you also might feel uncomfortable arriving in a suit&tie when everyone else is in jeans and polos. 

11 minutes ago, byn said:

I am SO. EXCITED. FOR. YOU!!!!! Haha. But yes, suit would be appropriate, I'd say blazer/closed toe pumps/flats a must, and layered. I'd add on a scarf (I just think scarves accentuate outfits?) but layered is always a great look.

And if you are considering shopping for outfits, Ann Taylor has excellent business clothes for interviews. Or at least looking at their website online to get an idea of the styles you could go for! Congratulations again, I hope you rock it!

Thank you! I'll have to check out Ann Taylor sometime in the next month or so. Express is also having a big sale this week so I may pick up something from there. I'll have to ask the grad student that will be getting in touch with me. 

Second interview at Southern Mississippi!!

So another question....how should I go about accommodating all these interviews while working a full time job? I'll be starting a new job in January, and now I'm very stressed.

Edited by FacelessMage

7 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Second interview at Southern Mississippi!!

So another question....how should I go about accommodating all these interviews while working a full time job? I'll be starting a new job in January, and now I'm very stressed.

Ouch, starting a new full time job in peak interview season and then theoretically leaving about 6 months later to start school? That'll be tough. 

I'm using vacation days for my interviews and I'm still worried about having enough time to take off, since interview events can often take 2-3 days of your time including travel. You likely won't have any vacation or sick time, so I'd strongly encourage you discussing it with your new boss in advance. Maybe you can work out a way to make up the hours by working longer days beforehand or working weekends; maybe they'll have some type of Leave you can use... hopefully they'll work with you! 

8 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

Ouch, starting a new full time job in peak interview season and then theoretically leaving about 6 months later to start school? That'll be tough. 

I'm using vacation days for my interviews and I'm still worried about having enough time to take off, since interview events can often take 2-3 days of your time including travel. You likely won't have any vacation or sick time, so I'd strongly encourage you discussing it with your new boss in advance. Maybe you can work out a way to make up the hours by working longer days beforehand or working weekends; maybe they'll have some type of Leave you can use... hopefully they'll work with you! 

I work for the government so generally it's a bit easier to do so. If this were my current job, I'd have no problem as my boss is one of my letter writers and I have flexible hours. However, this one is only a temporary contract, while the newer job is a bit more permanent (I didn't have high hopes for this application cycle when I accepted it obviously) and it would be my fallback option if I were rejected after interviews.

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

I work for the government so generally it's a bit easier to do so. If this were my current job, I'd have no problem as my boss is one of my letter writers and I have flexible hours. However, this one is only a temporary contract, while the newer job is a bit more permanent (I didn't have high hopes for this application cycle when I accepted it obviously) and it would be my fallback option if I were rejected after interviews.

Government jobs accrue leave pretty generously and you can always take LWOP (leave without pay) if you don't have enough paid time. I'm planning on using my annual leave (vacation) for interviews. But I also work in a research center in a large government agency, so everyone expects that this is going to happen. 

19 minutes ago, nervous_nellie said:

Oklahoma State University

Clinical Psychology

Email for interview weekend from DCT. Interview weekend is feb 10-12. Mention of POI on email to know who you will be interviewing with. 

Hey congrats!! I'm from Oklahoma so if you have any questions about Stillwater or Oklahoma in general, PM me :)

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the game I suppose. I have applied to the University of Memphis Clinical Psychology Program. I want to research PTSD, trauma comorbidities, mindfulness, and behavioral economics. Currently working on a study regarding how trained service dogs affect the level of symptoms in vets with PTSD.

SO.. HI! 

1 minute ago, MemphisMeli said:

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the game I suppose. I have applied to the University of Memphis Clinical Psychology Program. I want to research PTSD, trauma comorbidities, mindfulness, and behavioral economics. Currently working on a study regarding how trained service dogs affect the level of symptoms in vets with PTSD.

SO.. HI! 

Did you hear anything from Memphis? 

5 minutes ago, MemphisMeli said:

Not yet. Applications were due the 5th, I'm guessing it won't be until after the holidays before they are back and going through the applications. 

I saw someone received a phone call about a phone interview.. something like that. Doesn't seem like we have similar interests, but good luck with the application process!