Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

17 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

My POI called last week and insinuated I may get an offer but they were waiting to hear about funding. The next day I found out funding was lower than anticipated so now I'm at the edge of my seat. Seems like POIs are reaching out independently so you may want to call or email! I hope were both in next year's cohort!

Thanks for the advice, and congrats on the potential acceptance! Would you mind pm-ing me your POI's initials? No pressure if you're not comfortable doing that.

Hello fellow applicants! I am reaching out to the folks who were accepted and waitlisted for the clinical psychology program at Auburn University for Fall 2017. Could any of you please send me a message as to who your POI is? Not sure how my heart is still beating - surely thought I would've died already! Thanks so much!! Good luck everyone!

20 hours ago, acceptme said:

I generally am leaning toward what everyone else is saying... but I think it depends on where you are professionally/personally.  If you applied straight from undergrad and got into 2 programs that aren't great research fits I would consider taking the RA job.  I did 2 years after undergrad and accepted an offer this cycle and had an amazing experience during my time as an RA.  I learned so much about my personal research interests and grew a lot academically.  You are going to be at your program for 5-7 years and if you aren't sold on the research fit you may want to consider waiting.  But then again, if you have already taken several years off you may want to just get going on your degree.  I don't think it would be ludicrous to turn down the offers, you need to consider what is important to you.  I definitely don't think you should commit to a Ph.D program just for the sake of going now... but if the research fit is good enough that's a different story.  Sorry I'm rambling, but it's definitely a complex situation! 

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice! You've all brought up some really great points for me to consider.

I am in a somewhat unique situation in that I did apply straight out of undergrad, and also the program that I really think would be a better fit out of the two offers is actually here at my current undergrad institution. So I'm a bit wary about spending a total of 9 continuous years in the same place learning from the same people, and while I think that this program would be a good fit and a good way to advance my career, I also think that I could really grow personally and professionally from spending some time at another institution. My other worry, though, is that if I decline my current offer here, that'll close the door to any possibility of going to grad school here in the future. It really is a complex situation, although I suppose I'm fortunate that I have a few good options to decide between!

3 hours ago, NeisserThanILook said:

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice! You've all brought up some really great points for me to consider.

I am in a somewhat unique situation in that I did apply straight out of undergrad, and also the program that I really think would be a better fit out of the two offers is actually here at my current undergrad institution. So I'm a bit wary about spending a total of 9 continuous years in the same place learning from the same people, and while I think that this program would be a good fit and a good way to advance my career, I also think that I could really grow personally and professionally from spending some time at another institution. My other worry, though, is that if I decline my current offer here, that'll close the door to any possibility of going to grad school here in the future. It really is a complex situation, although I suppose I'm fortunate that I have a few good options to decide between!

Some people consider it taboo to do both your undergrad and grad work at the same school.  Definitely limits your professional network.  I am biased based on my experience, but taking time off between undergrad and grad was awesome.  I loved my job, expanded my professional network, developed my own research ideas, got a some papers out, and made money.  I'd recommend you discussing your concerns with the faculty member at your university.  Also if you got into 2 programs right out of undergrad, I doubt you will have trouble getting into a program after working as an RA and building your CV even more (nothing's for sure of course, but you must have done something right to get in this cycle and I can't imagine that would change).  But all said, you have until April 15 to decide so take your time to reflect on what is best for you :) This is a good problem to have!

Hello,

I've been staying mostly away from the forums for a while ( was too anxiety provoking for me), but I'm wondering if anyone heard back from Kent State University ....if anyone one feels comfortable PM-ing me (and I understand if anyone doesn't), it would be most appreciated.  This is one of the schools I like most, and they finished interviews on February 17-18.  I think a few people I saw have already got emails from their POI (last Wednesday or Thursday), so I'm not sure if I should give up hope completely yet, or if PI's email students at different times, or if I will be contacted back being wait-listed or not. Do schools contact you about your status either way (accepted, wait listed, rejected, etc)? How long is acceptable to inquire about your status with the admission departments if you don't hear back? 

There is another school that I contacted for an update that put out their decisions much earlier (over a month), and didn't contacted me back after I emailed the director of the program to inquire on my status - although I know the schools are busy, and maybe they didn't see/have time to reply, especially if I'm not being considered. I know that I probably didn't get in to that school, but it would be great to be notified for peace of mind when I'm making my admission decisions. 

On 2/23/2017 at 3:44 PM, emotive_bee said:

To the poster that got accepted into MSU, congrats! Could you PM me which lab you got into, there are two PIs with the same initials. Thanks! 

Would you mind PMing me with the same please? Thank You! And also CONGRATS!!!

Hi. I am looking for a little advice. I have got accepted to two great programs. University of Michigan (A A) and Penn State. Both PI's are great. Lab fit is perfect. Not sure which one to accept. I know both are equally great but is the general reputation of one school slightly higher than the others in the professional world? I know it's not the best way to pick a school but I've worked my way to this level and have huge financial responsibilities to consider so I want the school that is more highly valued (even though both are actually brilliant). Thanks in advance. 

@CP fun In general umich is ranked top 5 while upenn is ranked top 10. Having said that, there might not be a great difference between top 5 and top 10 in the longer run and what might really matter in this case is the reputation of your PI and the labs he/she collaborates with (for post doc positions and possible faculty appointments). 

Would you mind telling me when you received your offer from umich? PM would be great! 

14 minutes ago, CP fun said:

Hi. I am looking for a little advice. I have got accepted to two great programs. University of Michigan (A A) and Penn State. Both PI's are great. Lab fit is perfect. Not sure which one to accept. I know both are equally great but is the general reputation of one school slightly higher than the others in the professional world? I know it's not the best way to pick a school but I've worked my way to this level and have huge financial responsibilities to consider so I want the school that is more highly valued (even though both are actually brilliant). Thanks in advance. 

As the above poster said, both programs are somewhat equally reputable. It comes down to fit. If you feel both programs are an equal fit, consider which area you would rather live in, cost of living vs your stipend (would you need loans), etc. 

another thing to look at is each school's licensure rates and attrition rates.

High licensure=quality education 

low attrition=generally happy students

congrats and hope that helps! 

5 hours ago, summavanlaude said:

@CP fun In general umich is ranked top 5 while upenn is ranked top 10. Having said that, there might not be a great difference between top 5 and top 10 in the longer run and what might really matter in this case is the reputation of your PI and the labs he/she collaborates with (for post doc positions and possible faculty appointments). 

Would you mind telling me when you received your offer from umich? PM would be great! 

Thanks for this. I just got a mail from umich offering admission.

16 hours ago, juhidee119 said:

As the above poster said, both programs are somewhat equally reputable. It comes down to fit. If you feel both programs are an equal fit, consider which area you would rather live in, cost of living vs your stipend (would you need loans), etc. 

another thing to look at is each school's licensure rates and attrition rates.

High licensure=quality education 

low attrition=generally happy students

congrats and hope that helps! 

Thanks 119. The fit of both is perfect. And given my financial situation, I want the one that will carry the greatest name value. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, psychapplicant50 said:

Hello,

I've been staying mostly away from the forums for a while ( was too anxiety provoking for me), but I'm wondering if anyone heard back from Kent State University ....if anyone one feels comfortable PM-ing me (and I understand if anyone doesn't), it would be most appreciated.

Same for me! If anyone has heard anything from Kent State post-interview and would be willing to PM me, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

17 hours ago, CP fun said:

Hey everyone, I am in a similar situation and looking for thoughts, opinions, or advice. I have two acceptances from Vanderbilt and Harvard with equally great PI and lab fit -- I also have friends and family in Nashville and Boston, so the transition would be easy. Both are excellent programs with great reputations generally, but I'm wondering about reputation specifically within the clinical psychology field. Is one (even slightly) better than the other? 

22 minutes ago, CPapplicant said:

Hey everyone, I am in a similar situation and looking for thoughts, opinions, or advice. I have two acceptances from Vanderbilt and Harvard with equally great PI and lab fit -- I also have friends and family in Nashville and Boston, so the transition would be easy. Both are excellent programs with great reputations generally, but I'm wondering about reputation specifically within the clinical psychology field. Is one (even slightly) better than the other? 

I would say Harvard's name implicitly carries more weight. Doesn't mean the school is any better, but people tend to be automatically impressed when they hear Harvard. 

Side note, if you're comfortable, can you PM me your POI at Harvard? I'm assuming rejection at this point but it'd be nice to know for sure. 

30 minutes ago, CPapplicant said:

Agreed with stereopticons, Harvard implicitly carries more weight with its name. If both are equal, I'd go for Harvard. 

1 hour ago, CPapplicant said:

Do you think you would get along with one professor better than the other? You're ultimately incredibly dependent on your POI so liking your mentor on a personal level (and vice versa) is a huge benefit. If you're not sure about their mentorship track record I'd suggest contacting past grad students that are no longer working in the lab. I have heard some rumors that Harvard is exploiting their students a lot, but keep in mind that that's just hearsay and might not be true at all. I'm sure someone who's been there can give better insight/advice! Congrats anyway, you have an incredible future ahead I'm sure :)

Plugging for any more news on UNCG or UMass Boston?

Actually I really want to have a pity party/vent about how much I hate this process and how much it wears on my self esteem but don't want to derail this thread or make a new thread just for that (and all of my close friends are non-psych. Would it be creepy to have an NYC clinical psych meetup at a starbucks or something? XD). I did process some of it with my supervisor but its hard to take his words to heart when I think he overestimates my abilities :/ I know this too shall pass but good grief does it mess with my brain in the worst ways. Anyway, this forum has been a great help though, so thanks everyone for their insights and the closure I do get from people posting updates.