Extenuating Circumstances

GEO123

Sorry posted this by accident elsewhere. I am applying to some top tier PHD programs in my field, but my GPA isn't where it should be for a masters student(3.65). This is primarily due to to the fact that my adviser, who doesn't believe in A's or grade inflation, has repeatedly given my B+ grades in her courses. She is also writing a letter of support for my applications, so hopefully that is an indication that she doesn't think I am completely incompetent. I have the opportunity  for at least one of the schools to explain low GPA's etc, is there a way to frame this so that it isn't so bad?  I also anticipate increasing my GPA by at least a full point (3.7-3.8) by the time I finish in March when my thesis credits are cleared.

Any ideas on how to frame this?

This might be bad advice, but if your GPA is between 3.7 and 3.8, I wouldn't mention it. If it's a well regarded school in the field, the reputation will likely be known by the adcomms -- bringing attention to it could sound like complatining.

Instead, I think you're being strategic with the letters of recommendation, which is proactive, and you should simply ensure your interests/goals mesh well with your intended audience. In sum, focus on the other areas of the application, and recognize your GPA is probably not what will keep you out. At a certain point, your research, accomplishments, and other "whole applicant" criteria (like the SOP) become more important. It's just a question of where that line in the sand is.

An explanation like "my advisor doesn't believe in A's" isn't going to get you very far. I wouldn't mention it. You are implying that you did A work but didn't get an A grade, but that's just your evaluation of the situation and no one else can know if that's true. Since you're getting a letter from your advisor, hopefully the letter will say that you're a strong candidate and that will take care of it. If you're concerned, you might ask her to explicitly discuss your grades and performance, but it's generally much better coming from her than from you. 

Thanks for all your feedback!

I was more wondering if I should use my advisers support to frame my GPA, it sounds like maybe not addressing it at all is best. I am obviously not going to write about how I deserve an A but got a B, because that would be pretty. My strengths are more in research, internships and LORS. I also won't get my final GPA until a month before decisions, so I don't want to get tossed out early before I have a chance to send it.

MOO, not addressing your GPA at all is the best way to go at this point.

Going forward, I do think that you may want to take a long hard look at how you articulate your thoughts on how professors evaluate your work.

As written, your posts leave you vulnerable to interpretations along the lines of Geo123 is more focused on getting a certain grade than in learning what needs to be learned. IME, professors are more likely to give one what one needs if one greatly de-emphasizes the focus on grades.