How to officially log observation/shadowing hours for grad school applications?

Greetings!

I am an out of field applicant in my sophomore year of undergrad. I recently began shadowing two speech pathologists at the local hospital near my university. The hospital takes record of the hours I observe the SLP's, but I have no official record myself. Is there a template or form I don't know about that I can use? I hate the idea of just putting "___ hours of observation" on my future grad school applications without any proof. If anyone has a template, or a suggestion, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also, I apologize if someone has asked this before, I couldn't find anything myself.

Thank you in advance to anyone who provides some insight!

Great question!

Every school will have a different format. The one thing they should all have in common is: name, signature, and ASHA license # of the supervising SLP (who obviously has to have CCC to have a license #). 

I'd create simple form documenting the basics (Date, time, length of observation, location (I.e. name of clinic/hospital/school, etc). Also, a space to note the population you're observing, treatment approach, and disorder are good. I'd also definitely include a space for you to write reflections and questions. And don't forget that name, signature, and ASHA license # (they're important). 

None of the 6 schools I applied to asked for "proof" of observation hours I mentioned in my SOP/Resume (though other schools might!). I did have to provide it once I got in. Unfortunately, on my personal records I had everything but signature/license# of supervisor... but thankfully I got back in touch with her and she drafted a letter confirming the hours and providing her info. 

Also, check out this thread for related info: 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:06 AM, mcamp said:

Great question!

Every school will have a different format. The one thing they should all have in common is: name, signature, and ASHA license # of the supervising SLP (who obviously has to have CCC to have a license #). 

I'd create simple form documenting the basics (Date, time, length of observation, location (I.e. name of clinic/hospital/school, etc). Also, a space to note the population you're observing, treatment approach, and disorder are good. I'd also definitely include a space for you to write reflections and questions. And don't forget that name, signature, and ASHA license # (they're important). 

None of the 6 schools I applied to asked for "proof" of observation hours I mentioned in my SOP/Resume (though other schools might!). I did have to provide it once I got in. Unfortunately, on my personal records I had everything but signature/license# of supervisor... but thankfully I got back in touch with her and she drafted a letter confirming the hours and providing her info. 

Also, check out this thread for related info: 

Embarrassingly enough, that was actually my thread! I completely forgot that someone (you) had already replied to me and given me this information because I have been so busy. Your advice, and the others who posted replies on that topic, helped me land this great SLP hospital shadowing gig! Thank you again for your kind words :)

You may want to enroll in a formal observation/clinical methods class. I know at least one school I looked at required a minimum of 25 in-person observation hours (can't be recorded videos like SimuCase) and only through a formal course. I can't remember off the top of my head which school had that requirement (it didn't end up on my list) but if your school doesn't offer one, Utah State online does (it's the 2 credit COMD 5900).

Mcamp,

I used a template from a friend going into OT and modified it with most of the information you gave me on this topic. The shadowing program I was in was for only one semester, so I will not continue observing them in the spring. I already had the SLP I had been shadowing fill out the form for me.

Do you think this form will work this time around, and for future shadowing opportunities I can use the form in the link you posted above, or should I attempt to revisit the SLP and have her fill out the new form instead? My main concern is that it looks like the posted form specifically documents each individual observation session, as in 2 hours on Thursday, Oct. 14th, whereas mine just lists a total # of hours completed over the course of my observation period.

jjj.PNG

On 12/11/2016 at 6:50 AM, bettafish293 said:

Mcamp,

I used a template from a friend going into OT and modified it with most of the information you gave me on this topic. The shadowing program I was in was for only one semester, so I will not continue observing them in the spring. I already had the SLP I had been shadowing fill out the form for me.

Do you think this form will work this time around, and for future shadowing opportunities I can use the form in the link you posted above, or should I attempt to revisit the SLP and have her fill out the new form instead? My main concern is that it looks like the posted form specifically documents each individual observation session, as in 2 hours on Thursday, Oct. 14th, whereas mine just lists a total # of hours completed over the course of my observation period.

I'm guessing you're fine. What's my guess based on?

My clinic / department uses the form that documents each session. But, I only had a single letter from an SLP saying I observed 12 hours and listed a few of the things I saw - so it was not session by session. My clinic director was okay with accepting that letter for those 12 hours. For the remaining hours, I'm using the detailed form. 

Does that make sense? 

I don't think either one affects admissions at all. Once you get in, the program will tell you what they want, and I'm sure the person you observed would be more than happy to go back and "re-do" any forms as necessary - SLP's tend to be kind and helpful people. 

Bottom line - don't stress.