2010 Acceptance

papertiger31

I might as well get it started for this year! There doesn't seem to be a ton of traffic on this site for would-be geography grad students, but perhaps they are just hiding and not posting. :) Anyway, I haven't heard anything back yet from my programs yet. Wondering if anyone else has any response from geography departments?

Hi,

My first post here, but figured I'd chime in to help pass the time. I haven't heard back from anywhere yet, though most of my applications are due the 15th (tomorrow!). What are you interested in researching?

As for geography, I only applied to Syracuse - most of my other applications are in public policy, some with a focus on population studies. Haven't heard anything yet! My interests are mostly in human/cultural geography with a focus on feminist methodologies. What about you guys?

I am interested in political ecology, nature society-theory, the American West, conservation, and the role race and idigeneity play in evironmental conflict in the American West. Most of my research has so far has dealt with Native American land rights claims and livelihoods issues and how these are impacted by potential hard rock mining sites. Also interested in the political dynamics of forest access and the political economy of forest loss and recovery.

keylimekai: have you heard that your application is complete yet from Penn State?

• 2 weeks later...

First admit! Wooooohoo! From Bonnie Williams, DGS at Minnesota: "Just a quick note to let you know that we have recommended you for admission and have nominated you for a Graduate School Fellowship. A letter is in the mail to you today with details--thought you'd like some good news going into the weekend!"

First admit! Wooooohoo! From Bonnie Williams, DGS at Minnesota: "Just a quick note to let you know that we have recommended you for admission and have nominated you for a Graduate School Fellowship. A letter is in the mail to you today with details--thought you'd like some good news going into the weekend!"

Awesome! Congrats, papertiger, on opening up the 2010 season with a bang! I'm glad someone gets to have good news before the weekend. Me, I'll keep frantically checking email, even on Sunday morning.

Congrats everyone!

Has anyone heard anything back from any of the schools I've applied to or will apply to? (Decision, we have received your application, it's being reviewed now, the decisions will be made around, ...)

I know I applied near the deadlines for most of them, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING.

I think Rutgers and UMBC sent me an automatic confirmation that the application was submitted, but that's it.

unsure.gif

Congrats everyone!

Has anyone heard anything back from any of the schools I've applied to or will apply to? (Decision, we have received your application, it's being reviewed now, the decisions will be made around, ...)

I know I applied near the deadlines for most of them, but I have yet to hear ANYTHING.

I think Rutgers and UMBC sent me an automatic confirmation that the application was submitted, but that's it.

unsure.gif

All I can comment on is Rutgers - no word from them yet, but it seems like it was the second or third week of Feb when notification came out last year, based on the Results Search. Also, a ton of Rutgers programs are notifying this week, so I'm guessing we'll hear from them fairly soon. Maybe my first response will be a yes and I can switch from scotch to champagne!

ah, the geography results search seems so slow! too bad there aren't more of us here to contribute. In any case, at least I can apparently hope to hear back from berkeley this week.......

I bet the OSU came from mb1212. Judging from her or his interests, I wouldn't be surprised if he/she applied to work with Joel Wainwright at OSU.

Edited by keylimekai

Congrats to the two with Minnesota acceptances! The OSU acceptance was me. No word about funding, though. I found out by checking my status online, and still haven't gotten official notice. The website says it is in the mail. I agree news is coming too slow. Though I feel much better knowing I can go 0 for my next 5.

Keylimekai, how do you know Berkeley decisions are coming this week?

I'm waiting on Wyoming geography. As an undergrad at Ohio State's geography program, I can vouch that Dr. Wainwright is the shit! Having taken a couple courses with him, he is legit, and if you have him as your advisor, you will go far. Great guy!

Westox, Boston told me they will tell us in the 1st or 2nd week of March. goodluck!

Oh, have you visited with Boston?

Oh, thanks for your information. I didn't visit with Boston cause they don't send me any email regarding this since I submit my application. The last email I got from them is your package is complete and ready for review. Also, they don't have the online status checking system as well.

I found out about Ohio State through the website by checking my status. Is that the OSU you mean? Or is it Oregon State (or one of many others that probably have that acronym)? The website says a letter is in the mail, but I live in the Mid-Atlantic and have been buried by snow for over a week. I haven't received mail since last Thursday, and considering my road still has not been plowed from the first storm, I don't expect to see mail anytime soon. Its driving me crazy. I really want to call to find out what the letter says, but I am trying not to be obnoxious.tongue.gif