2010 Acceptance

papertiger31

westox,

i heard from florida state a few days ago by email, good luck. still no news from ohio state? I am waiting on them as well.

Hi larry83, thanks for your information. Do you apply for FSU as a Ms or Phd? Did they mention the funding or not?

Ohio State is supposed to have result for me this week when I asked them last week, but still no news. Florida state asked me to wait for my Ph.d result until next week.

westox,

I applied to FSU for PhD. I already have a M.S. Yes, they mentioned funding in the email. I just got notice a few days ago so I wouldn't worry yet. Maybe wait until the end of next week and send them an email? They are very nice there so I wouldn't hesitate to email or call if you don't hear anything for another week.

I don't understand how this all works as you and I are still waiting to hear from ohio state while others seem to have heard back from them weeks ago. I am starting to think that I will not get good news from them when I do get results.

yeah, I got my acceptance from Penn State 1-2 weeks ago. The letter said they were offering acceptance+funding to only about a dozen people...

Are you going for a Masters or PhD? I am still waiting to hear from Penn State and UNC-Chapel Hill for the M.A.

I'm guessing that means bad news for me. Did you hear via mail or email??

I'm also waiting for UNC-CH MA. Have you heard anything from them about when or how we here back? Or about MA funding? When did you submit your application?

I'm guessing that means bad news for me. Did you hear via mail or email??

email

just a heads up, there is a results search button at the top of this page, if you hadn't noticed it or if you're new. Typing in penn state and geography, for example, will show all the data that people have entered for said college and program, including when and how they were notified, for what program, etc.

I'm also waiting for UNC-CH MA. Have you heard anything from them about when or how we here back? Or about MA funding? When did you submit your application?

I applied for both Penn State and UNC-CH in December to be considered for funding...and haven't heard anything yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I got accepted at the University of Tennessee today. I really didn't think I would get in. Also, I wish did not wait til early Feb. to apply. I am probably gonna miss out on funding. :(

On a side note, I happy to add the diversity of this program. As far as I know, I'll be the only African American in the Grad program (Currently, I am one of the three African Americans out of about 40 seniors in Geography at UT).

Anyone still waiting to hear back from schools?

Anyone make any decisions already?

Anyone made any visits to programs?

I'm still waiting to hear from three schools, I wish they would decide soon so I can make an informed decision. April 15th is not that far away.

Still waiting on Ohio State, status says my app is still under review. I'm guessing that I have been put on a waitlist.

Ohio State is holding a visit weekend for some of the accepted prospective students this weekend. If you haven't heard anything from them yet, you may hear after this weekend when some students make their final decisions.

Some I tough decision between Tennessee and Alabama.

Tennessee: As of now, I have no funding, it cost me about $25K in loans (I am currently debt free), I am familiar with the program, most of my friends are staying in Knoxville, they have a doctoral program, and the better program out of the 2 schools.

Alabama: Full tuition plus a TAship, opportunity to meet new people and learn new ideas, small program, my parents want me to go here, and they only have master's program.

This is what I get for not applying early and for being cheap by only applying to two schools. Life sucks!

Ohio State is holding a visit weekend for some of the accepted prospective students this weekend. If you haven't heard anything from them yet, you may hear after this weekend when some students make their final decisions.

thanks for the update, i guess i'll have to wait another week at least.

Tennessee: As of now, I have no funding, it cost me about $25K in loans (I am currently debt free), I am familiar with the program, most of my friends are staying in Knoxville, they have a doctoral program, and the better program out of the 2 schools.

Alabama: Full tuition plus a TAship, opportunity to meet new people and learn new ideas, small program, my parents want me to go here, and they only have master's program.

This is what I get for not applying early and for being cheap by only applying to two schools. Life sucks!

Just curious, why do you care if they have a phd program?

If you did your undergrad at UT, I would go to Alabama if I were you. It seems like a fine program and the fact that you will have no debt is a big plus. Tuscaloosa is not a bad town.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Avinson,

I don't know if you've already made your decision, but I have a few thoughts if you still have use for them. It's hard to comment on this situation without knowing more about your interests and such...and I am not super familiar with those two programs generally. Nevertheless, I would say that the funding ought to really tip the scales for you in almost every case. First of all, $25k (or $50k if you meant per year) is always going to seem like less money when you sign the paper than when you are making the payments for years. Second, you never know what life will bring...you could have a family emergency, or a serious illness, or even just a change of heart about what you're doing, all of which might derail your studies and then you're stuck with the loans and without a degree. Third, if you ultimately decide that you want to get a PhD, it will be easier to get funding if you already have funding. I know this seems silly, but it's really true. Admissions committees will see that you were awarded funding on your CV and put you in the more deserving pile for $ of all the applicants.

It is possible that Tennessee has a little bit better reputation for Geography, but if you go to Alabama and there is someone there that you feel you can work with and that gives a crap about your future success, nothing about Alabama is going to keep you out of future opportunities as long as you work hard while you're there, get good grades, write a good thesis, and get good rec letters. So, I would say that unless the advisor of your dreams is at Tennessee, and that person has personally committed to your future success, AND there is no one at Alabama that does anything related to what you want to study...I really got to go with "take the $."

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by 92nats

Hello Avinson,

I don't know if you've already made your decision, but I have a few thoughts if you still have use for them. It's hard to comment on this situation without knowing more about your interests and such...and I am not super familiar with those two programs generally. Nevertheless, I would say that the funding ought to really tip the scales for you in almost every case. First of all, $25k (or $50k if you meant per year) is always going to seem like less money when you sign the paper than when you are making the payments for years. Second, you never know what life will bring...you could have a family emergency, or a serious illness, or even just a change of heart about what you're doing, all of which might derail your studies and then you're stuck with the loans and without a degree. Third, if you ultimately decide that you want to get a PhD, it will be easier to get funding if you already have funding. I know this seems silly, but it's really true. Admissions committees will see that you were awarded funding on your CV and put you in the more deserving pile for $ of all the applicants.

It is possible that Tennessee has a little bit better reputation for Geography, but if you go to Alabama and there is someone there that you feel you can work with and that gives a crap about your future success, nothing about Alabama is going to keep you out of future opportunities as long as you work hard while you're there, get good grades, write a good thesis, and get good rec letters. So, I would say that unless the advisor of your dreams is at Tennessee, and that person has personally committed to your future success, AND there is no one at Alabama that does anything related to what you want to study...I really got to go with "take the $."

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks for advice, Nat.

I did the rational thing and accepted Alabama's offer (full tuition and a GRAship worth $10,900) a few days ago. But this morning I received a similar offer from Tennessee (full tuition and a GTAship worth 10,000). Right now, I am regretting not holding out for a few more days but I'll get over it. Also, since my dad is originally and enlisted in the Army before 1975, I qualify for the Alabama GI Dependents Scholarship program, so I could go there for free regardless.

Thanks for advice, Nat.

I did the rational thing and accepted Alabama's offer (full tuition and a GRAship worth $10,900) a few days ago. But this morning I received a similar offer from Tennessee (full tuition and a GTAship worth 10,000). Right now, I am regretting not holding out for a few more days but I'll get over it. Also, since my dad is originally and enlisted in the Army before 1975, I qualify for the Alabama GI Dependents Scholarship program, so I could go there for free regardless.

Avinson2, with written permission from Alabama, you can decline your offer and accept Tennessee's. Actually, since it's before April 15, I'm not even sure you need permission. If you want to go to Tennessee, act now and take advantage of the offer.

• 7 years later...