Include an abstract in writing sample?

DBear

Hi all,

I'm applying for Communication PhD programs and am well within the page limits for my writing sample. Should I add an abstract or cover page?

I haven't seen other people do this, and wasn't planning on it because I thought I'd have a hard time staying within the limit.

Thanks!

Berkeley requires that you add an abstract and keywords. They say nothing about cover pages, so I presume they do not require one. A good abstract is a valuable part of any article, so your ability to write them well would be important. No idea if you need a cover page, probably not - I did not add one. I think you may want to message an admissions advisor about this; it's a legitimate question.

On 2016. 12. 3. at 8:12 PM, Wanumman said:

Berkeley requires that you add an abstract and keywords. They say nothing about cover pages, so I presume they do not require one. A good abstract is a valuable part of any article, so your ability to write them well would be important. No idea if you need a cover page, probably not - I did not add one. I think you may want to message an admissions advisor about this; it's a legitimate question.

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't even think of this earlier, since like you said, any scholarly submission requires an abstract. I think I was afraid of going over the page limit. As for the cover letter, I think it should be okay, I saw a few schools asking for this so I'm thinking that if it's not explicitly required, the abstract should be good enough!