Help Grade my Issue Task Essay?

sdfiguer

Hello everyone! I am currently studying for the GRE through Magoosh and I just wrote my third timed issue essay. Any critiques/score estimates would be well appreciated! I will try my best to critique any essays that you are working one in order to return the favor. Thanks.

The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances in which adopting the recommendation would or would not be advantageous and explain how these examples shape your position.

The best way to teach is often disputed by educational professionals; however, it is widely

acknowledged that students of all ages and demographic backgrounds have diverse learning styles. A teaching style which revolves around a specific type of action-based feedback, such as the suggested positive praise/no praise technique, may not work for every student.

First and foremost, the aforementioned teaching technique is limited in the sense that it ignores diverse learning styles. While one student may benefit from being ignored, another may not. A student that engages in disruptive behavior, for example, may be perceived by a teacher as one that purposely wishes to be mischievous. Even so, this student may simply not understand that their actions are negatively affecting their classmates. If such behavior is ignored, the student may continue their behavior without any knowledge about their negative impacts. In such a situation, it is necessary for the teacher to be explicit about their beliefs on the student’s behavior, otherwise the student may continue their academic career naïve about their behavior.

The described teaching style is also quite detrimental to teachers by limiting their range of action when it comes to dealing with different behaviors. While it may be appropriate to ignore negative behavior which are a mere nuisance, it is wholly inappropriate to ignore negative actions that completely disrupt the class—such as a student that screams at the top of their lungs or engages in violent behavior. This also urges the question: what age group does this teaching style apply to? Toddlers, for example, must be scolded when they exclaim in vulgar language for the first time. University students, on the other hand, should be aware that such behavior is inappropriate; therefore, a lack of feedback should prove that their actions were perceived negatively by their instructor. For younger students, it is absolutely necessary to provide negative and positive feedback for their actions; our youth should understand that honest feedback is beneficial to forming strong relationships. Simply ignoring the bad and focusing on the good may forge false relationships with weak foundations of trust and honesty.

Overall, the recommended teaching style is not advantageous for a number of reasons. Primarily, it does not account for different teaching styles across different age groups. While this teaching style may be beneficial in some situations, the majority of classrooms would not benefit from such a limited scope on education. The best teaching styles should have broader outlines which do not limit a teacher’s range of action when it comes to positive or negative behavior. A good teacher must carefully consider the magnitude of the action before deciding on their form of feedback, if they decide to give feedback at all. Of course, the type of feedback also must depend on the type of student and educational institution.