I graduated with my undergrad in Speech & Hearing Science from University at Buffalo last Fall (a semester early). I applied to schools last Spring & didn't get in to any (only applied to NY schools in the Long Island/NYC area). I know that I should broaden my horizon, especially since I have lower stats (GPA: 3.3 Major GPA: 3.1 GRE: VR-148, QR- 146, Writing- 3.5), but I don't really know what my next step should be other than to obviously retake my GRE. I retook a Acoustics course online with Utah State this fall because I got a C+ (my lowest grade in my major during undergrad) so I thought that would show effort, but what else is there to do?

I have been considering to going into Special Education, specifically because I have worked as a Head Start teacher and a teaching assistant in an elementary school within the past year, if speech doesn't work out. However I don't even know where to begin with finding schools for me or receiving LORs so late in the application season.

If anyone has any suggestions or been through this situation please help me out.

If SLP is what you decide you really want, I believe you can get into a program. I say this because of seeing other applicants on this forum with your stats or lower getting into programs. However, because of your stats I think you will have to do a lot of research and be very flexible with where you attend (e.g., apply to schools in areas with less-competitive programs, like the south or midwest). Connecting with administrators/professors at schools you are interested in would also be smart. If your last 60 credit GPA is higher overall, apply to schools that focus on that.

My concern is your timeline. You certainly could apply to schools this cycle, but I am not sure if it would be fruitful with such limited time to research and contact schools. Hopefully someone else with similar stats who has applied before can give you better advice here. I also have a low cumulative GPA, but this is my first time applying.

If you are on the border between special ed and SLP, I suggest taking this year to job shadow. I hope you have been able to see the positives of working in special ed. through your experiences, because I know a few SPED teachers who absolutely love their jobs. The application process and school is such a commitment and is expensive, so I would suggest you make sure you are going for what you really want!

If you do decide to take a year off, there are certainly ways to build your experiences and show your passion! Shadowing, volunteering, and participating in research (if possible) are options.

Edited by plume

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 9:52 PM, jaylinch said:

I graduated with my undergrad in Speech & Hearing Science from University at Buffalo last Fall (a semester early). I applied to schools last Spring & didn't get in to any (only applied to NY schools in the Long Island/NYC area). I know that I should broaden my horizon, especially since I have lower stats (GPA: 3.3 Major GPA: 3.1 GRE: VR-148, QR- 146, Writing- 3.5), but I don't really know what my next step should be other than to obviously retake my GRE. I retook a Acoustics course online with Utah State this fall because I got a C+ (my lowest grade in my major during undergrad) so I thought that would show effort, but what else is there to do?

I have been considering to going into Special Education, specifically because I have worked as a Head Start teacher and a teaching assistant in an elementary school within the past year, if speech doesn't work out. However I don't even know where to begin with finding schools for me or receiving LORs so late in the application season.

If anyone has any suggestions or been through this situation please help me out.

Try to get relevant experience either shadowing SLPs or getting your SLPA license if your state will allow and work as an SLPA for a bit. Make sure you'll get strong LORs and work on having a strong SOP as well. Look for newer programs, or programs that aren't as competitive using ASHA's EdFind.

On 12/1/2016 at 9:52 PM, jaylinch said:

Stay positive when you're applying! You can do it =D

I know it isn't very fun, but you could raise your GRE score. Take a prep course! I used Magoosh because I read about it from @mcamp's blog. Getting those numbers up just a little will really make your application stronger.

While you do that, I think working as a head start teacher would be so cool! I bet grad schools would love to see that kind of experience

On 12/13/2016 at 10:18 PM, SLPtobe22 said:

Stay positive when you're applying! You can do it =D

I know it isn't very fun, but you could raise your GRE score. Take a prep course! I used Magoosh because I read about it from @mcamp's blog. Getting those numbers up just a little will really make your application stronger.

While you do that, I think working as a head start teacher would be so cool! I bet grad schools would love to see that kind of experience

I switched from working as a Head Start teacher and currently work as a Teaching Assistant from grades K-5 and enjoy it.

I think I am going to start a teaching residency program or enroll in a Special Education program that focus on severe disabilities (i.e. use of ALDs, Autism, ADD etc) while working on improving my GRE scores. Hopefully by doing this I can build stronger relationships in the field and maybe lead to me shadowing an SLP.

On 12/13/2016 at 8:39 PM, amsullivan said:

Try to get relevant experience either shadowing SLPs or getting your SLPA license if your state will allow and work as an SLPA for a bit. Make sure you'll get strong LORs and work on having a strong SOP as well. Look for newer programs, or programs that aren't as competitive using ASHA's EdFind.

I wish NY had an SLPA option. I was considering moving to Texas just to pursue it until I realized I would have to take more classes in order to become one.

I am going to see if I can try to communicate more with the SLPs in the public school I work at. Thanks though.

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely try. Volunteer, retake the GRE, get more diverse experiences in the field/related fields. Work as an SLPA -if that's an option for you.  This will also help you get LORs. However, my personal advice would be to wait until the next cycle. Applying is expensive, stressful, and time consuming. I suggest taking the time to really make yourself stand out as an applicant, rather than rush into it. I did that last time I applied, and it showed. I didn't get accepted anywhere. I spent the last 2 years taking courses, volunteering, getting more experiences as an SLPA. Hopefully it pays off this cycle!