UNC MSW Fall 2017 Thread

moonpine

1 hour ago, moonpine said:

Has anyone heard anything yet? What are you all doing to occupy this waiting time? It seems like a lot of people didn't hear back until mid-March last year. I've been trying to do yoga but between this and the political world right now I have little to no chill. ?

Mid-march will kill me! Haha. Well, I work full time and other than that I do yoga and play with my cats. The hardest part about waiting is I keep wondering where I'll live, where my fiance should be trying to find work, etc. I just want to know so badly.

2 hours ago, Alina38 said:

Mid-march will kill me! Haha. Well, I work full time and other than that I do yoga and play with my cats. The hardest part about waiting is I keep wondering where I'll live, where my fiance should be trying to find work, etc. I just want to know so badly.

I feel you I need to know where I am going to live lol and make sure I get enough funding!

11 hours ago, peachpop said:

I applied to advanced standing but was offered to be waitlisted for the 2 year. Better than being denied! UNC is the highest ranked program I applied to, so even being waitlisted felt pretty good.

Thats awesome! When did you find out? And do you mind sharing your stats?

12 hours ago, uncapplicant2017 said:

Thats awesome! When did you find out? And do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure! What all do you want to know? I have around a 3.3 overall undergrad GPA, 3.75 social work GPA, two years post undergrad experience in healthcare, took additional anatomy and biology courses, great references, and a strong personal connection to Chapel Hill in my statement.  They emailed me Friday evening.

Edited by peachpop

10 hours ago, peachpop said:

Sure! What all do you want to know? I have around a 3.3 overall undergrad GPA, 3.75 social work GPA, two years post undergrad experience in healthcare, took additional anatomy and biology courses, great references, and a strong personal connection to Chapel Hill in my statement.  They emailed me Friday evening.

Wow thats an impressive application! I am suprised you were were waitlisted but I am sure you will get in for the two year program! How was your gre scores? 

On February 17, 2017 at 3:03 PM, moonpine said:

Two friends I know heard back from UNC today. The wait is the worst. 

What areas of social work is everyone interested in? 

Trauma-focused systems, child abuse prevention, and family therapy. Interested to see what everyone else wants to study.

Congrats to those admitted! How exciting ? And for those of us still waiting, stay strong!! I'm trying my best to not think about it 24/7. Not checking the portal 5x a day might be a good start...

13 minutes ago, moonpine said:

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Fingers crossed that you'll get off the wait list for AS!

3.87 undergrad GPA/4.0 social work 

research assistanceship and my field is with NASW this year. I had strong references and statement. I didn't do well on my quantitative portion of the GRE.

I emailed the Assistant Director of Admissions yesterday and he just replied back today. He said offer letters will continue to go out through the month of February (6 more days!). So I don't think we will have to wait until mid march. 

I applied advanced standing. The wait is killing me but I'm also preparing a backup plan by looking into full-time fellowship or internship programs. 

16 hours ago, moonpine said:

Anyone have any idea about number of applicants vs cohort size for UNC? 

I remember they talked about this while I was at the info session. I think they said something like they accept over 25% of applicants, with a cohort size of around 150 for the 2-year program and 400-500 applications.

I remember they gave a sheet with this information, but I have no idea where it is. Hopefully what I'm remembering is accurate.

10 hours ago, wildflower17 said:

I received my acceptance letter from ECU on Tuesday, but I am still waiting to hear from UNC! I hope they notify everyone today, I cannot wait until Mon or Tues LOL :wacko:

Congrats on ECU!!! This UNC wait is terrible. Anyone have any idea what their process is? It seems like a small number of people have heard back about the 2 year program but most people haven't and it's the end of February. 

7 minutes ago, moonpine said:

Congrats on ECU!!! This UNC wait is terrible. Anyone have any idea what their process is? It seems like a small number of people have heard back about the 2 year program but most people haven't and it's the end of February. 

I noticed that too! I am applying for 2 year and still havent heard anything. I wonder if they are sending out a bit later!

I got into UNC Advanced standing this morning! I CANNOT believe it. They really do look at the whole application, guys. I only have a 3.1 GPA and I did embarrassingly awful on the GRE. But I have a 3.9 social work GPA, been a social work research assistant, started a mental health awareness organization on campus (NAMI), studied abroad, served as chair of several diversity and mental health initiatives on campus, had the BSW program director do my LOR, etc. I spent at least 6 months crafting my personal statement and I think that's what got me in. My experiences pulled me through. I didn't have hope, and then this happened. Don't give up! 

34 minutes ago, DDBSW said:

I got into UNC Advanced standing this morning! I CANNOT believe it. They really do look at the whole application, guys. I only have a 3.1 GPA and I did embarrassingly awful on the GRE. But I have a 3.9 social work GPA, been a social work research assistant, started a mental health awareness organization on campus (NAMI), studied abroad, served as chair of several diversity and mental health initiatives on campus, had the BSW program director do my LOR, etc. I spent at least 6 months crafting my personal statement and I think that's what got me in. My experiences pulled me through. I didn't have hope, and then this happened. Don't give up! 

congrats!! thats so exciting! It sounds like you have a lot of good experience and worked really hard!