Chance me for a Social Work PhD Admission?

Cantoni2

So, my undergrad GPA is a 2.93 (Psychology & Spanish), however I have reasons for that (Undiagnosed medical condition as well as I had a friend commit suicide the day before finals). I have a section to write about those reasons so I'll take advantage of that.

My grad GPA is a 3.7 and it's in Social Work, specialization Child Youth and Family Services. GRE scores are average at best: 156 Verbal, 153 Quant, and 4.5 Writing. I did both my undergrad and grad at the same school; I want to get a PhD in social work, and I'm applying to that school as well as 3-4 others. I guess I was just wondering some advice that you could give me? I have 4 people who have written me letters of rec (two professors, one supervisor, one research supervisor), and I've gone over my personal statement with the dean of the PhD department at my school (she's a past professor of mine). So yeah, I guess advice/chances please? The schools are UIUC, UIC, U of Chicago, and U of Loyola. 

Also: I do have 2 years of research experience from my undergrad, I do have my social work internship, and I am try trying to find work while I am waiting. I have also had my writing sample looked over my a professor I had, and I know some professors I'd like to work with. So yes, chance me/give me advice please?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't think schools are going to care a ton about your undergrad GPA since your grad one is much better and you have good reasons for your undergad one being lower. If some of your deadlines haven't passed, the only other thing I'd recommend is framing your medical condition as a problem that's been taken care of/overcome so that they're not concerned about dropout risk. (But that'll also be mitigated by the fact that you got through a grad program already so no sweat if you can't alter your app). GREs are mostly used as an imperfect tool of predicting whether or not you'll be able to handle grad level work, but because you've already demonstrated that you can from your grad GPA, I wouldn't worry too much about them being average. Research experience is definitely a plus as that will be the main focus of a PhD program, but the fact that you have a lot of clinical experience too is definitely going to help your case. It seems like you have a lot of great mentors and if they're checking over your SOP and writing sample and approving of them, I think you'll be fine (particularly since some of those profs sit on adcomms at your school). Good luck! 

Try to connect with potential research advisors (professors) at the schools you are interested in attending. In my experience, there is no more important "x factor" than whether there is someone at the school that would be a good fit for your area of interest. Rather than just submitting an application and 'letting the chips fall where they may,' it's much better to have someone at the school (and even better if they're on the admissions committee) advocating on your behalf. Good luck with your search.

Since you have grad GPA, undergrad GPA won't severely damage your chances. However, some schools have 3.0 as their minimum GPA requirement so I would check with the schools that you are applying to. Are you only limited to Illinois? I would advise you to look into other school if that is not the case.