What qualifies as a 'highly competitive' GRE quant score for Economics?

APPA72

Hi there,

I'm applying for an Economics Phd at a range of top US schools; I'm wondering if there is any point in applying to MIT with the GRE scores below: 

V: 166, Q: 163 A: 5

On a side point; all the Economics programs seem to only mention a focus on the quants score rather than verbal or analytical writing. Little odd for a social science, no?

I have a buddy who was considering apply for Econ programs, but decided to do an extra semester so he could take a few more math classes and get a math major. Not sure of the emphasis on the GRE, but my understanding is that Econ programs like to see math aptitude, even if at the end of the day you won't be needing to know about abstract algebra. 

Thanks Robbentheking. Yeah I realise maths is a large component, I just thought it was interesting they appear not to even look at Verbal/Analytical scores. I'm 85th pc anyway in quants, so not terrible; just wondering if it's 'competitive enough' for the top US unis. Also, I'm from the UK so it's even more impenetrable; it's all new to me!

That does seem odd to me too.

I think the verbal score could actually be useful information even for math programs if it were structured differently. Reading comprehension is an important skill and some of questions are basically logic tests that I'd want all my math/econ/cs grad students to be able to get 95% of the time in a vacuum. The problem is, right now, it's possible to have outstanding reading comprehension/logic skills but get like a 160 just because you didn't take the time to cram 500 words into your short term memory, or conversely, to get like 165 with inferior verbal skills and good short term memory.

As for your score, I'm just guessing here, but as you say, 85th percentile doesn't seem disastrous at all. Honestly though, I would expect it to be one of the lowest scores an accepted student at a place like MIT would get. I'll text my buddy who I referred to earlier.

What does your math history look like? That would definitely help contextualize your score. 

So all distinctions (that is As) in quant-heavy/maths classes; and distinction overall. Issue I think they'll have is that I've done a graduate conversion course (so a condensed Economics course) whilst working full time. Counteracting that, I do have 7 years of experience in Finance; and worked full time whilst working for the Economics grad diploma. So bit of an unusual application - it's just whether they appreciate the diversity, or not.

Edited by APPA72

But like how far did you go with math? Like the classic calculus sequence and linear algebra? Or did you take some proof based courses too?

My buddy said the lowest he'd be comfortable submitting to a top 3 school on a PhD app would be 167/168 quant. He is pretty driven though. And if you still have your finance job, you don't really have much to lose. 

Multivariate calculus, linear algebra, optimisation with equalities / inequalities.. No proof-based stuff as the courses are prescribed; UK university courses don't have the flexibility that you have in the US. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Dammit. Ah well, I'll have a think. Thanks for all your help!