Is my GRE score too low?

Akshita Garg

Hi all,

I gave my GRE in June and my score is 310 ( verbal : 148 and quanthe : 162) . however my percentile is verbal : 38% and quant : 82%. I already got rejects from MSU and UT Austin. Initially I thought they will look at the whole profile wherein I have 3 yrs work experience and MBA and B.Tech. degree in IT. please advise on the same.

@Akshita Garg I believe that many schools have some type of 'cut off' for GRE scores before even beginning to look at applications. Did you check to see if MSU and UT Austin listed average or median GRE scores for their graduate school or the program you're applying to?

Others on this forum have also mentioned that schools may overlook a low GRE score (not sure how low) if you have an excellent GPA.

If you have other applications to submit, is it possible to re-take the GREs to obtain a higher verbal score?

I apology for not being able to give more productive advice and am sorry that your application cycle has started off in a negative way.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:40 AM, Akshita Garg said:

Hi all,

I gave my GRE in June and my score is 310 ( verbal : 148 and quanthe : 162) . however my percentile is verbal : 38% and quant : 82%. I already got rejects from MSU and UT Austin. Initially I thought they will look at the whole profile wherein I have 3 yrs work experience and MBA and B.Tech. degree in IT. please advise on the same.

It would benefit you to try and retake the GRE to raise your verbal score a few points.

On 06/12/2016 at 10:10 PM, Akshita Garg said:

Hi all,

Please give more details on your profile like GPA in previous studies, research accomplishments. GRE score is a general criteria, but it never shadows your academic strengths! BTW 310 IS NOT low, it's in average range of scores.

I'm not sure if you are masters or doctoral level, but if you are trying to gain admissions into the doctoral level, the absolute best thing you can do is to publish a research article as a first author. There is absolutely nothing you can do more of to better your chances of admission than a 1st author publication in a highly regarded journal. 

It may sound like an absurd request, but publishing is the job description so if you want to prove you can do the job itself get something published... or publish an abstract/attend conferences/apply for and obtain research fellowships - anything that gives a strong indication you can produce research

Doing the above for the masters level can't hurt as well, since masters students seek to publish their work as well....