GPA and chemistry grad school - importance?

pgtips15

Question

What is the importance of GPA in chemistry grad school admissions? I'm interested in the chemical biology subfield. I'm a current undergrad at a top 10 school for chemistry in the Midwest. By graduation, I will have had about two years of research experience, and my GPA will likely be ~3.5, with the latter years being higher due to medical circumstances in the first two years. I have taken advanced coursework in organic chemistry and biochemistry. I'm curious as to how much the GPA potentially matters, and what caliber program I realistically should be targeting.

3 answers to this question

You should be perfectly fine.

A 3.5 GPA isn't that bad to begin with, though it is cutting it close for some grad schools that want 3.5 as the minimum. The upward trend and extenuating medical circumstances though should be more than enough to get any school to overlook a less than optimal GPA, just make sure to explain in your essays. If you have good GRE scores to prove the upward trend, I think you might even be better off than a consistent but slightly higher GPA. The grad schools I've applied to all have an "overcoming adversity" component they want you to address, you have something to talk about for this. Go ahead and apply wherever you want, 3.5 is fine for most grad schools and your publications, research experience, and letters of recommendation will be more important for the more competitive programs.

What matters a hell of a lot more than your GPA is your application as a whole.

I have a 3.006 major GPA and a 3.3 overall, and I have already been accepted to multiple institutions (with the highest ranked being UGA at #56). My GPA isn't great in the slightest- but what matters is my overall application was well rounded. I have TA and tutor experience, held a couple positions in clubs, and have done lots of research. 

I don't think you should worry about 'caliber' of program. The best advice I was ever given was "don't apply to a place because of the numbers- apply because you like the work they do there." You'll spend hours pouring over research papers, but when you write your statement of purpose you'll have professors and reasons and it will make you a much stronger applicant.

I also reccomend contacting professors whose work interests you- it can't do anything but help. At best, they'll contact you and you will create rapport. At worst, they'll just delete your email and never learn your name.

Research and recommendations definitely make it possible to get in even if you don't exactly have a 4.0. I have a 3.4 and have already been accepted to a top 50 program. I will have a little over a year of research once I'm done with undergrad and one publication. Didn't think I'd be here after a C+ in Organic I :lol:.