Have you guys told your POI you have applied (now when your app is in)?

day_manderly

So I spoke, personally, to a few potential advisors - early in this app season, and then I have applied to their schools. Should I drop them an e-mail saying that I have indeed applied, like I was planning to? Is it a good idea (reminding of myself, making sure they pay attention to my app), or a bad one (bothering them too much, drawing unnecessary attention to myself)?  I am wondering whether there is the proper etiquette. What do you think?

I actually have no idea, but I did this as well. I emailed them a couple months ago expressing interest in their work and asking if they were accepting students. Typically the response was, "Thanks for your interest, yes I'm accepting. I'll keep an eye out for your application, let me know if you have any questions." 

So, although I don't expect it to improve my chances by any means, I felt like it'd be nice to write back and say that I did indeed decide to apply and to thank them for their initial response.

8 minutes ago, JacobW83 said:

I actually have no idea, but I did this as well. I emailed them a couple months ago expressing interest in their work and asking if they were accepting students. Typically the response was, "Thanks for your interest, yes I'm accepting. I'll keep an eye out for your application, let me know if you have any questions." 

So, although I don't expect it to improve my chances by any means, I felt like it'd be nice to write back and say that I did indeed decide to apply and to thank them for their initial response.

Yes, that's sort of what I feel too, actually. I think I have an idea about the etiquette - I suppose the correct way would be to write, but write a really short note.