Fall 2017 Applicants

hypsipyle

On 3/2/2017 at 11:54 AM, suntaliquidmanes said:

I used to work outside year-round, so I've had this for the last couple years: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-mcmurdo-parka-ii-cql4

Definitely Michigan-ready! Congrats on your recent success as well.

Congrats and welcome! Not sure if we met at the weekend (since I think I only met one of the Classics prospectives, and I'm an archaeologist myself) but I'm so glad that we stood out as a program and a community. Looking forward to meeting you (if we haven't met already)! 

Edit: having looked through previous posts of yours, I think you may indeed be the only Classicist I met at the prospectives weekend! Glad you're coming to join us :)

Edited by ciistai

On 3/2/2017 at 11:25 AM, Spiro Spero said:

This must be some kind of sick joke. The day after the Trinity deadline, I get acceptances from Edinburgh and Durham and an interview request from Cambridge. All at once!!! The others are roughly the same as Trinity (and a lot more expensive), so I'm forgoing them, but can't pass up an interview with Cambridge. How's everyone else doing?

Amazing albeit strangely-timed news! I'm surprised Trinity's deadline is so early, given that it's really in the first week of March that the other UK schools start sending out loads of acceptances (I got into Oxford in the first week of March four years ago). 

Definitely don't pass up the interview with Cambridge! Though Durham is a great school too - two of our first year Classicists went there. 

Wishing you luck with the interview whenever it is!

Also, forgive me for SO many posts at once, but if my inbox is any indication, it's Ertegun Scholarship interview season! As I've mentioned elsewhere, I was an Ertegun Scholar from 2013-2015 while I did my MPhil. It feels like ages ago that I interviewed, but if you have an interview and have any questions for me please don't hesitate to reach out to me! (I've got a long night of reading so I will be online for many hours...)

My biggest point of advice for anyone interviewing for this is to BE YOURSELF... if you have more specific concerns do let me know :)

11 minutes ago, ciistai said:

Congrats and welcome! Not sure if we met at the weekend (since I think I only met one of the Classics prospectives, and I'm an archaeologist myself) but I'm so glad that we stood out as a program and a community. Looking forward to meeting you (if we haven't met already)! 

Edit: having looked through previous posts of yours, I think you may indeed be the only Classicist I met at the prospectives weekend! Glad you're coming to join us :)

Thanks, I appreciate it!

24 minutes ago, suntaliquidmanes said:

I'm waiting on UVA as well, though the survey indicates they've sent out some acceptances already...

Sigh. The long waiting is killing me...Good luck!

7 hours ago, nempe_sic_asiduue said:

So got rejected from everywhere :( Even reach programs. Kinda bummed out. I'm done with this Classics crap; There's no jobs anyway I guess.

Same thing happened to me last year. If this is really what you want to do -- there must have been a reason you applied in the first place, right? -- do something relevant to the field for a year and then reapply. I taught Latin for a year and worked on my modern languages, which I think really helped me this time around. Consider applying to more programs and a wider variety of programs as well: I applied to eight last year and thirteen this year.

Ultimately, think hard about whether academic near-poverty for several years is worth the lack of guaranteed work at the end.

I'm new to Grad Cafe, and it looks like I missed all the excitement! I'm relieved, though, that we are approaching the end of this harrowing journey– less than a month before final decisions must be made! With this in mind, please kindly remember to submit final decisions sooner rather than later. I have submitted a couple declinations, and it is tough to write to professors with whom you have developed friendly rapports. However, there are so many wonderfully qualified and deserving waitlisted candidates who are eagerly awaiting news, though, and grad programs do have spots to fill!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 1:55 PM, LibrosArtesqueCano said:

I'm new to Grad Cafe, and it looks like I missed all the excitement! I'm relieved, though, that we are approaching the end of this harrowing journey– less than a month before final decisions must be made! With this in mind, please kindly remember to submit final decisions sooner rather than later. I have submitted a couple declinations, and it is tough to write to professors with whom you have developed friendly rapports. However, there are so many wonderfully qualified and deserving waitlisted candidates who are eagerly awaiting news, though, and grad programs do have spots to fill!

Hello, and welcome! That is wonderful advice. I've also send out my declinations, etc. Have you decided where you want to go?

On 4/6/2017 at 0:48 PM, terraaurea said:

Hello, and welcome! That is wonderful advice. I've also send out my declinations, etc. Have you decided where you want to go?

Thank you! It looks like I'll be going to Michigan(!!), although I am waiting to commit until I hear about waitlists at two schools on the east coast (I am at the top of both). The waiting game is torturous, and I hate that I'm holding up Michigan, as they have wonderful people, a wonderful program, and I am sure wonderful waitlisted applicants. Alas

On 4/11/2017 at 5:27 PM, LibrosArtesqueCano said:

Thank you! It looks like I'll be going to Michigan(!!), although I am waiting to commit until I hear about waitlists at two schools on the east coast (I am at the top of both). The waiting game is torturous, and I hate that I'm holding up Michigan, as they have wonderful people, a wonderful program, and I am sure wonderful waitlisted applicants. Alas

Classics or IPGRH?