2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

Had a false start in 2015 so I'm playing this game again. Once more unto the breach.

If everyone could put their stats in their profile it'd be helpful for referencing for us and those who come after.

Edited by ChemiKyle

Current undergrad at Cambridge taking the Natural Sciences Tripos. Applied to Stanford and UC Berkeley for Chemistry PhD but not very hopeful considering my situation as an international student and lack of experience ...

2 month internship at the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology. No publications.

GRE: 162 Verbal, 168 Quantitative, 4.0 Analytical Writing

GRE Chemistry: 860

OK Undergrad GPAs (Average result roughly in top 25% of the year)

3 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Right now I'm working on the UChicago application (I've seen a couple people get admits already before the deadline!)

I was just about to post a question, "Do schools admit applicants before the application deadline?" Why would schools admit applicants before deadlines? Especially since they would not have had the opportunity to see all submitted applications. This is discouraging.

2 hours ago, Black Beauty said:

I was just about to post a question, "Do schools admit applicants before the application deadline?" Why would schools admit applicants before deadlines? Especially since they would not have had the opportunity to see all submitted applications. This is discouraging.

I assume that the calibre of the incoming candidates are roughly the same each year, so if there's someone who's clearly exceptional they might as well tell them early to save them the wait.

Hi Everyone!

Current UC Berkeley chemistry undergrad applying to materials and organic Ph.D. programs. 1 publication (6th author lol), and 2 years of research experiences at 2 institutions. 

Applying to: UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, University of Washington, Northwestern, and Columbia

GRE: 158 Verbal, 160 Quantitative, 5.0 Writing

Chemistry GRE: 780

Overall GPA: 3.81

Major GPA: 3.75

Submitted every application except for Columbia so far. Hoping to hear back soon!

1 hour ago, PeryleneKween said:

Hi Everyone!

Current UC Berkeley chemistry undergrad applying to materials and organic Ph.D. programs. 1 publication (6th author lol), and 2 years of research experiences at 2 institutions. 

Applying to: UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, University of Washington, Northwestern, and Columbia

GRE: 158 Verbal, 160 Quantitative, 5.0 Writing

Chemistry GRE: 780

Overall GPA: 3.81

Major GPA: 3.75

Submitted every application except for Columbia so far. Hoping to hear back soon!

Hi, did you finish all "chemistry specific" video interview??

7 hours ago, Manimal ZYK said:

I assume that the calibre of the incoming candidates are roughly the same each year, so if there's someone who's clearly exceptional they might as well tell them early to save them the wait.

Also if this candidate is some top% of the applicant pool they normally get they probably want to try to get them to accept admission before other programs might also admit them. I know I won't be waiting around for long after the first admit to figure out where I am going (there is probably 1 school I will be waiting for an answer before giving mine).

Just got into Johns Hopkins last week, very pleased. Anyone here know anything at all about the program? I applied expressing an interest in organic/polymer.

I heard the stipend is pretty good (more than livable for Baltimore) if anyone can help confirm that, as no specific funding amounts were included in my acceptance email. I found a post from 2012 estimating it at about 30k and I was wondering how much higher it would be nowadays.

Waiting on Georgia Tech, Minnesota, WashU, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, and UWashington. 

I'm an undergrad at HYPS. I have 2 years of research experience and 1 publication ( although only as fourth author), TAd for 1 semester

GPA: 3.8    Major GPA: 3.9

GRE Scores :
Q:  161(79) V: 161 (88) W: 5.0 (93)
Chem GRE: 840 (88)

Applying to:

Scripps
Cornell - BMCB
UCLA - Biosciences (Biochemistry)
UCSF CCB
Cornell Weill/MSK/Rockefeller TPCB
Stanford Biosciences (Biochemistry)
Columbia
Purdue
UCSD

7 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Hi, did you finish all "chemistry specific" video interview??

Hi KR,

No I didn't do the video interview yet because I'm sort of scared/studying for finals now. I might do it this Friday, but it might be too late at that point? Did you do it?

7 hours ago, PeryleneKween said:

Hi KR,

No I didn't do the video interview yet because I'm sort of scared/studying for finals now. I might do it this Friday, but it might be too late at that point? Did you do it?

Well, I'm also same situation and That's what I want to ask T T

Hello. 

I am applying to Ph.D. program in Chemistry - Organic Synthesis.

General GRE - 162 Verbal, 159 Quantitative, 4.0 Analytical Writing

Chemistry GRE - 720. I think this is a terrible score. I should not even report it, but I'm an international applicant, so it would be hard to be considered without taking it. 

TOEFL iBT - 110

Undergrad GPA - 2.7 converting it to the US system. However, I graduated top of my class on a top-rated institution here. Not sure if my application will go through though, as there's probably a numeric cut-off for crappy GPAs like mine. It's just that my university's grading system is very different from that in the US.

Graduate (M.Sc.) GPA - 4.0

Research Experience - 1 yr undergrad research in Molecular Biology, second author and presenter of 1 poster on a national conference. 2.5 years graduate research as M.Sc., 1 publication unrelated to my thesis. 

LOR - One from a professor I was TA for, one from my undergrad advisor, one from my M.Sc. advisor (he showed me the letter after he sent it and I was pretty bummed out about it. Only two paragraphs written in terrible English…)

Hi, 

I finished my undergrad this May.  I am a Korean-American domestic student and I'm applying to Organic Chemistry PhD programs. 

Undergraduate GPA: 3.95; Major GPA: 4.0

GRE: 160 (V), 164 (Q), 5.5 

GRE CHEM: 750 

Research experience: 4 years +

2 papers published (one 2nd author, one 4th author), 2 poster presentations at ACS National Meetings, 2 regional poster presentations, lecture presentation at SCURC and won Outstanding Presentation Award in Organic Chemistry

Edited by ochemist94

Found this on other threads, might be useful to standardize our answers. 

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?)... Overall Reputation in Biology?)
Major(s):
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:
V:
W:
B:

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

School - Department - Research Interest

On 12/11/2016 at 1:00 PM, Dibenzofulvene said:

Did anyone hear from UC Irvine? They contacted my friend about an incomplete app but that's it. I saw last year they sent some acceptances early 

I haven't heard anything yet, but my application status changed from "under review" to "being reviewed". Based on previous years, I think this means I'll find out soon...? 

12 minutes ago, ochemist94 said:

I haven't heard anything yet, but my application status changed from "under review" to "being reviewed". Based on previous years, I think this means I'll find out soon...? 

I agree, based on last year's results (I think metallocene and another poster experienced this). I'm hoping you get an acceptance ochemist!

Mine is still under review

When did you submit your application? I submitted on Dec 1st.

Edited by Dibenzofulvene