2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

Hi everyone!! Congrats to everyone who got accepted/interviews! 

Undergrad Institution: A CUNY senior college (PUI)
Major(s): Chemical Biology
Minor(s): French
GPA in Major: 3.89
Overall GPA: 3.401 (I messed up in Freshmen year of college...I began as a Finance major and quickly lost my interest)
Position in Class: I have no clue—I wish I knew! 
Type of Student: Domestic/International (I'm a DACA applicant), first gen

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163 (85%)
V: 160 (85%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
S: 730 (60%)

TOEFL Total: N/A

Research Experience: I did four years of research at a cognitive neuro lab in my undergraduate institute because I changed my major from Finance to Psychology in Sophomore year (and then I switched to Chemical Biology in senior year). And I did two years of physical organic research with my organic chem/med chem professor from beginning of fourth to end of fifth year. I quit the former but still keep in contact with the PI (she's one of the three professors who wrote my rec letters). I still work at the latter, training new students, working on new research (few are collabs) and writing my fourth manuscript. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I won this contest called CUNY Nobel Science Challenge in 2015 for Chemistry, which was pretty cool. I received two awards from two separate research symposiums (one was monetary, to my surprise). I also received ACS Undergraduate Travel Grant to pay for my presentation at the ACS Philly, which was very nice since I really needed the money to pay for the conference! 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: When I worked as an undergraduate research assistant at the organic research lab group, I was paid from her grant for undergraduate students, which was super nice since that allowed me to focus on school and research, without having to worry so much about money. Since I am no longer an undergraduate, I can't get paid from the grant... But that's fine though, I absolutely love working with my PI. 

Since graduating (I graduated in Spring '16), I was hired at my undergrad institute as an adjunct instructor to teach non-majors biology and chemistry labs, and Gen Chem II lab. Next semester, I am teaching a non-majors chemistry lab, and Orgo II lab.

Publications: I have three publications that my PI and I cowrote when I was in undergrad: one in JOC (not first author), a book chapter for a book on applied theoretical organic chemistry (2nd author), a literature review on thermally activated tunneling in organic reactions in Tetrahedron (2nd author), and I am currently writing a first-author manuscript for the project that I did in my 5th year (a physical organic/organometallic project that was super cool.)

Presentations: ACS Boston (2015) and ACS Philly (2016), UMBC (2014), few poster sessions and presentations at my undergraduate institute. 

Special Bonus Points: I was nominated for Chair's Scholar Fellowship for UPitts by my former Orgo II professor, so I've been in contact with a professor at UPitts. 

Applying to Where: 
I'm very interested in organo and organometallic catalysis
Princeton University
UC Berkeley 
Columbia
Boston University 
Wisconsin-Madison 
Duke University
CUNY Grad Center 
U Pitts - Chemistry
Boston College
Northeastern College

CMU

And now, I wait...

Edited by sk8er determinant

Gonna be the lowball GPAer here

Undergrad Institution: Trinity University (small lib. Arts school known to be very competitive in chemistry)
Major(s): chemistry 
Minor(s): none 
GPA in Major: 3.006 biochemistry or 2.95 for chem only 
Overall GPA: ~3.3
Position in Class: ....I did not fail out of the major? So I guess I'm pretty solid?
Type of student: domestic white female 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:163
V:161
W: 4

Research Experience: 4 years at home institution: inorganic biochemical. First authorship due mid-late 2017, another authorship early-mid 2017
Did immunology work one summer, BPA and allergic asthma
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

merit scholarship

best research poster at SURP at UTMB

best research presentation of the section at GCURS

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: peer tutor for a first year seminar, peer tutor for genchem, TA'd genchem lab 2ce and advanced chem. Principles lab 1ce. Held several authority positions in Greek life (local sorority)
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
I uh...managed to make it three years of college before I got diagnosed with ADD, anxiety, and depression? Got that on my application now that I'm doing better.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
UIUC, rice, Montana state (Bozeman), university of Montana (Missoula), CUNY, UGA, wake forest, texas a&m, and university of Alabama 

ive been accepted to MSU and UGA so far :)

6 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

@sk8er determinant Who do you want to work for at Boston College in catalysis? 

I'm interested in Zhang and Byers groups. Not catalysis but I'm also interested in Liu group since my first research project dealt with isosteres and his research sounds really cool. 

Undergrad Institution:  University of San Diego (relatively small liberal arts school)
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 2.9
Overall GPA: 3.23
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?) No idea
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) Female first gen Latina

GRE Scores:
Q: 154 (64%)
V: 153 (51%)
W: 4.5 (84%)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)
I've been conducting research for 2 years now involving organic synthesis. Newest project is in collaboration with UCSD. I've given 3 presentations so far with at least 2 more scheduled for the spring.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Alcala Scholar (Merit scholarship at my university)

McNair Scholar

Finalist in a Changemaker Challenge competition at my school

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

I've emailed at least one professor at each school expressing my interest in their research and I've made about 4 meaningful connections where the professor said they would follow my application.

Applying to Where:

Applying mostly to synthesis groups with some form of chemical biology involvement as well, some with material and polymer chemistry

URochester, UDelaware, UCSD, UC Davis, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, UMichigan, WashU in St. Louis, U Arizona

I was accepted to URochester a little over a week ago! :)

3 hours ago, electrochem said:

I am an international applicant for fall 2017. Got an interview request from MIT Chemistry. Does anyone know what these guys look for during such interviews ? I really appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Congrats! When did you get your acceptance, and have they mentioned visiting weekends?

1 hour ago, Herbert West said:

Congrats! When did you get your acceptance, and have they mentioned visiting weekends?

@Herbert West Its not an acceptance. I just got a mail requesting for a short 15 minute phone interview from the department and they haven't mentioned anything about the visit weekends. I am not quite sure about how they judge a candidate from a 15 min phone conversation, so a bit anxious. Just wondering what these guys are looking for !

5 hours ago, electrochem said:

I am an international applicant for fall 2017. Got an interview request from MIT Chemistry. Does anyone know what these guys look for during such interviews ? I really appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Me too! Dec 30/31, 15 mins. I'm looking for details also.

Edited by saverius

6 hours ago, matsguy said:

Has anyone been accepted to Northwestern without doing the interview questions?

I didn't do the additional video interview questions aside from the one video question within the original application. I applied November 30, received an acceptance phone call from an organic professor on Dec 13, another phone call from the department admissions people on Dec 17, and the official acceptance letter via email on Dec 22.

6 hours ago, electrochem said:

Which subfield did you apply for??? And is TOEFL score sufficient to show your english fluency??

9 minutes ago, saverius said:

I inorganic. I think it might not be about English proficiency but I could be wrong. My toefl score 110. 

If i didn't get interview offer...is it sign of rejection...? Does MIT usually do interview??

47 minutes ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Which subfield did you apply for??? And is TOEFL score sufficient to show your english fluency??

I have applied to materials chemistry/ inorganic materials. I am not sure what is the purpose for such a short interview. My TOEFL is 110 which I guess is on the lower side. But I know for sure that the questions also get a bit technical.

27 minutes ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

If i didn't get interview offer...is it sign of rejection...? Does MIT usually do interview??

I would not worry if I did not get an interview because its still pretty early. I guess it works in waves, 

Hey @sk8er determinant

I'm super interested in Abigail Doyles C-H functionalization research. I attended a talk given by one of her students in San Diego and was excited about the potential expansion of her research. David mcmillan is a second interest, but I am not sure the lab would be a perfect fit for non-chem related reasons. 

At Wisc, I am mainly interested in Jen Schomakers chemistry. She has developed some interesting selective functionalization reactions using silver (even though she hasn't fully elucidated the basis for the selectivity). Shannon stahl is a second interest. 

Im so sad they lost ron raines..I really wanted to meet him. :(

@Dibenzofulvene

Abigail Doyle is also one of the professors I'd like to work with! I'd love to work with MacMillan but I have this trepidation that he'd find my computational background (I have very limited experience with synthesis) to be troubling, given his prominence in the synthesis world. But I'd really love to work with Robert Knowles though—his work on using proton-coupled electron transfer as catalysis is so cool, and one of the main reasons why I chose to apply to Princeton!

Prof. Shomakers is also one of my top choices! Her, Prof. Yoon, and Prof. Stahl (I actually just watched a video seminar by him on youtube today) are the top three professors I'd love to work with at Madison.

It'd be very cool if we do end up being in the same lab haha :) 

7 hours ago, electrochem said:

@Herbert West Its not an acceptance. I just got a mail requesting for a short 15 minute phone interview from the department and they haven't mentioned anything about the visit weekends. I am not quite sure about how they judge a candidate from a 15 min phone conversation, so a bit anxious. Just wondering what these guys are looking for !

Thank you! Good luck! We're rooting for you. 

15 hours ago, sk8er determinant said:

@Dibenzofulvene

Abigail Doyle is also one of the professors I'd like to work with! I'd love to work with MacMillan but I have this trepidation that he'd find my computational background (I have very limited experience with synthesis) to be troubling, given his prominence in the synthesis world. But I'd really love to work with Robert Knowles though—his work on using proton-coupled electron transfer as catalysis is so cool, and one of the main reasons why I chose to apply to Princeton!

Prof. Shomakers is also one of my top choices! Her, Prof. Yoon, and Prof. Stahl (I actually just watched a video seminar by him on youtube today) are the top three professors I'd love to work with at Madison.

It'd be very cool if we do end up being in the same lab haha :) 

I know that some professors actually view computational background as an advantage. A couple years ago, Dr. Zhang was looking to increase his utilization of computation, but I'm not sure what his perspective is now.

I'm interested to see the path that Princeton's Chemistry Department goes in the next couple of years. 
One thing that has stood out about Wisconsin Madison was the honest feedback and help that they provided during the application process. The admissions secretary is very nice and really went out of her way to answer a lot of questions I had back in March. 

I hope we can meet during visiting days!