Recommender is really late?

I had two applications due on December 1st. One of my recommenders submitted one of her letters and didn't submit for the other one. I figured that she would get it done in a few days and I didn't really worry about it, because the program said that was fine. So, I just sent her a reminder through the application itself. Well, the program messaged me and said they needed it by the 15th or they wouldn't accept my application. I emailed her to tell her this on the 9th. She still hasn't responded or uploaded her letter and I have two more applications do that day, so I'm really apprehensive that it won't get done. What should I do?

Is it possible to call her? 

For the apps due on the 15th, being a bit later than the 15th should be fine, but then the one that says the 15th is the latest, I would take that at face value and let her know that's the most urgent one - if she's in the office and you can physically drop bye, that would work too, I think - I feel like she spaced out thinking that she sent in one and she was done. One of the professors in my department actually blanked on this one student's application cycle completely and sent ZERO letters out - needless to say he didn't get in anywhere.. so... assuming the worst may be necessary.... 

And a thrilling conclusion! My recommender did not get back to me. I emailed her, I left a voicemail. I re-sent the request through the application at least four times. Finally, I called the program and asked for an extension. They said there was wiggle room, but they couldn't give me an official extension. So, they told me to see if I could get another recommender. Daunting, right? Well, luckily I have a lot of great people in my corner and my thesis advisor is going to write me a recommendation before tomorrow's deadline.

Yay! I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a way around the problem. 

I was talking to a friend of mine who applied last year to English programs - we have a LoR writer in common and she was telling me that departments really do give you that wiggle room. The professor we have in common is notorious for being late (he even forgot one student completely one year and submitted ZERO letters) and she was telling me not to worry, it wouldn't impact my application. She even said that one school emailed her saying they hadn't gotten the letter and once she got it in, she almost immediately got her acceptance from that school. That being said, if your letter writer is that unresponsive, then I think you did the right thing in switching her out - late is okay, but if there's no certainty she'll write the letter at all, that's a different issue! 

Good luck!