Still waiting on one last school. What do I do?

Pweave

I am still waiting on one school's response (according to the RESULTS page, no one has heard anything from UVic in Canada). The secretary said they expect decisions to be made in the next couple of days. I need to let my backup school know by the 15th. What are the ramifications if I accept my backup's offer for admission and renege on it if I get into my first choice?

I am still waiting on one school's response (according to the RESULTS page, no one has heard anything from UVic in Canada). The secretary said they expect decisions to be made in the next couple of days. I need to let my backup school know by the 15th. What are the ramifications if I accept my backup's offer for admission and renege on it if I get into my first choice?

If they get back to you in the next couple of days (like they said they would) then why not just wait until you hear from them? You don't need to give an answer to your back up school for another 9 days.

I'm in a similar situation, except that I'm on a waitlist, so I don't know if I'm even going to hear by the 15th. If I haven't heard anything by the 12th, I'm going to call my backup (which I actually really love) and tell them about the situation. They already know I'm waitlisted at a top-15 school. I wish I could wait until the 15th, but I'm going to be out of town that weekend... urgh.

Tom, it's generally considered to be in bad taste to accept another offer when you've already committed to a school. However, the exception to this rule is if the new school is offering funding, while the first school is not. I'm on two waitlists, one with funding, so I'm hoping that they'll get back to me on Monday.

If they're major U.S. schools, then April 15th is the *acceptance* deadline (i.e. where the student must accept an offer and reject the rest). After that, if you haven't accepted an offer, you best hope someone goes to their waitlist.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use