2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

50 minutes ago, FlipWizard said:

I think it's fairly common. It might depend on the program but the thinking is that you'll already have taken a lot of the grad level courses in your topic as an undergraduate, and probably have worked with a handful of the faculty there too. They want you to spread your wings and be exposed to more viewpoints and environments. Physics at UChicago, for example, is basically a hard no for their undergrads, based on what my friend told me at the time he was applying to places.

It's fairly common from what I've heard. A lot of schools want to limit "academic incest".

9 minutes ago, Neuro15 said:

It's fairly common from what I've heard. A lot of schools want to limit "academic incest".

Hopefully a 1 year master's program isn't considered too incestuous for a PhD program from the same institution!

33 minutes ago, pupperoni said:

@pitt_neuroundergrad i just got a call from uchicago neuroscience for an interview invite, hope you get yours soon too!

omg I don't know how I'm going to study for my finals now haha congrats!! My odds are slim to none because my numbers aren't very strong:(

Thanks for letting me know though, that's awesome @pupperoni !!super cute username lol

Hey all, current 1st year in the Integrative Neuro program (Psych Dept) at UChicago. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program. Best of luck!!

Edited by Gvh

5 hours ago, seven27 said:

Thanks for creating this thread!

@lucky_panda any reason you didn't apply to U of Minnesota's neuro program?  

To those curious about Northwestern, admissions had a 4 hour meeting yesterday.  I assume interview invites will be sent out by Friday.

Hi, @seven27, I did not apply to U of MN because I don't want to stay at the same place and I want to explore something new. And also, Minnesota is too cold:ph34r:

1 hour ago, pupperoni said:

@pitt_neuroundergrad i just got a call from uchicago neuroscience for an interview invite, hope you get yours soon too!

Congrats!  I just received a call from UChicago as well - from neurobiology.  I'm not sure if the other neuro programs there are done looking at applicants yet.  Also, the call was from a faculty member so some may simply call later.  To anyone waiting, hang in there!  I was told the official invitation emails should go out next week.  

Also, it appears that MIT professors are conducting individual pre-interview interviews in the next couple weeks (before they extend any official invitations) since they received so many applications this round.  

Best of luck to everyone!  I hope you guys finish up finals strong too.  

2 minutes ago, nihchick2017 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Harvard? Their admissions committee met yesterday according to their website, and they usually send out invites the day after....

someone posted at the search page about getting an email just now

5 minutes ago, neurotrino said:

Also, it appears that MIT professors are conducting individual pre-interview interviews in the next couple weeks (before they extend any official invitations) since they received so many applications this round.  

say whattttttt. Is this for real?

4 minutes ago, pemmymiranda said:

say whattttttt. Is this for real?

This was the case for me!  If you don't get contacted rn, don't take it as a bad sign!  If you do, I think it just means someone noticed your app.  They probably just want to chat for a bit so they can feel more solid about you before the adcomm makes official invitations.  It's entirely possible that someone may notice yours and think they don't need any more info before advocating for you.  

1 minute ago, neurotrino said:

This was the case for me!  If you don't get contacted rn, don't take it as a bad sign!  If you do, I think it just means someone noticed your app.  They probably just want to chat for a bit so they can feel more solid about you before the adcomm makes official invitations.  It's entirely possible that someone may notice yours and think they don't need any more info before advocating for you.  

cool! thank you @neutrino best of luck in your pre-interview :D

47 minutes ago, lucky_panda said:

Hi, @seven27, I did not apply to U of MN because I don't want to stay at the same place and I want to explore something new. And also, Minnesota is too cold:ph34r:

Fair enough! :) 

Hope we hear from Northwestern & NYU soon.

46 minutes ago, seven27 said:

Fair enough! :) 

Hope we hear from Northwestern & NYU soon.

Actually, I applied to the NYU neural science Shanghai track. Students in this PhD program will spend 1.5 years in New York and 3.5 years in Shanghai (in China) and they will receive an NYU PhD. I hope this could increase my chance because I guess most American students won't apply to this program. And also, I can spend more time with my family. 

11 minutes ago, neuroslice said:

So it looks like Harvard has been sent based on the results page? Do they send all their interview invites at once?

For the past few years, Harvard's PiN sends out all invites at once.

If it is any consolation, I heard that it was extremely difficult to narrow it down this year, and there were a record number of applications.