2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

Folks with no interviews: I feel your pain.

I applied to: 

Harvard (no interview - crushed over it. one lab there was an /amazing/ fit, and the professor knows my PI.) 

UPenn (likely finished sending invites, and NGG is great)

Princeton 

MIT 

NYU 

Columbia

Boston University

Yale 

UC Berkeley 

Edited by Drifloon

If the person who submitted the Duke Neuroscience interview invite is lurking this thread, could they let us know if they applied to the psychology & neuroscience program or the neurobiology program (edit: or the cog neuro program)?  Thanks!

Edited by seven27

31 minutes ago, seven27 said:

If the person who submitted the Duke Neuroscience interview invite is lurking this thread, could they let us know if they applied to the psychology & neuroscience program or the neurobiology program (edit: or the cog neuro program)?  Thanks!

I wasn't the one who submitted that, but I got an interview from Duke Neurobiology earlier today.

16 minutes ago, omega007 said:

Does anyone know when the University of Michigan Neuroscience Graduate Program (NGP) invites go out (or have gone out already)?

I got a call from the director of the program on the 12th and a formal invite email on the 13th

4 minutes ago, pupperoni said:

I got a call from the director of the program on the 12th and a formal invite email on the 13th

Oh very nice, congrats! I guess they won't send anymore invites? Was my top choice school, oh well :( 

Hey everyone, introducing myself here! It's nice to see so many neuroscience enthusiasts. I applied to:

UCSD (Neuro and Biomedical Sciences), UCSF, UCLA, UC Davis, Duke, UPenn, Boston University, Tufts, Brown, Yale, Weill Cornell, Georgetown. (I know -- it's a lot...)

Didn't hear back from Duke and UPenn, but I got an interview at UC Davis. Fingers crossed for all of us!

I'm not sure if someone already posted this, but Northwestern (NUIN) is offering three recruiting events: January 12-13, January 26-27, and February 9-10. I received my invitation earlier this evening, around 3pm EDT.

Edited by FlipWizard

5 hours ago, omega007 said:

Does anyone know when the University of Michigan Neuroscience Graduate Program (NGP) invites go out (or have gone out already)?

I got mine today at 5pm via email. They called me first at around 2:30pm and I missed it, so they sent me invitation email later afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, neuroslice said:

anybody know if all MIT brain and cognitive sciences invites are out yet? I see a couple of results were posted but nobody has mentioned it on here

The email I received from them on December 5th stated interview invitations will be sent in January, with interviews taking place in early March. I haven't received anything from them since then.

People without interviews!! Thanks for responding to my post! Honestly, I am slowly dying from the inside. I wish best luck to you all and I am pretty sure we are all very qualified to go to a Phd program but just not have the chance yet. I have terrible gpa (and not for any personal reason) and I thought two years of undergrad research( at two different labs) and two years working as RA with first author publication in prep would dig me out of the hole. I was hoping by this time I would have at least one interview. I guess I was wrong. (Also made the mistake of applying only to high end schools) I am not sure where I am going with this but just want to put out my frustration somewhere so I can stay sane.

Those of you with interviews already, congrats!! I hope you get into your dream school!

Edited by cmykrgb

1 hour ago, FlipWizard said:

The email I received from them on December 5th stated interview invitations will be sent in January, with interviews taking place in early March. I haven't received anything from them since then.

Yeah, that's the same email I got as well. I was thrown off by the self reported results on the grad cafe survey page, but I guess I shouldn't make too much of it yet.

21 minutes ago, cmykrgb said:

People without interviews!! Thanks for responding to my post! Honestly, I am slowly dying from the inside. I wish best luck to you all and I am pretty sure we are all very qualified to go to a Phd program but just not have the chance yet. I have terrible gpa (and not for any personal reason) and I thought two years of undergrad research( at two different labs) and two years working as RA with first author publication in prep would dig me out of the hole. I was hoping by this time I would have at least one interview. I guess I was wrong. (Also made the mistake of applying only to high end schools) I am not sure where I am going with this but just want to put out my frustration somewhere so I can stay sane.

Those of you with interviews already, congrats!! I hope you get into your dream school!

Brotha it's still early, don't lose hope yet. Many schools haven't even begun to send out invites. 

It seems from the results page that MIT invites went out around this time during the last several years, but also that they went out over a few days rather than all on a day. Hoping to hear from them, too.

And what he ^ said. This is a tough process. One of my top choices hasn't sent me an invite...gotta move on & hope for the best.

Edited by Cervello

6 minutes ago, Neuro15 said:

Brotha it's still early, don't lose hope yet. Many schools haven't even begun to send out invites. 

Haha I know it's foolish to lose hope now, but looking at the schools I applied to and I really need a heavy dose of luck to have an interview. I apologize if I spread any negativity tho. Like I said it's my way of staying sane. 

Edited by cmykrgb

19 minutes ago, cmykrgb said:

Haha I know it's foolish to lose hope now, but looking at the schools I applied to and I really need a heavy dose of luck to have an interview. I apologize if I spread any negativity tho. Like I said it's my way of staying sane. 

No worries man, I think we all understand lol. What was your final school list?

4 hours ago, cmykrgb said:

No worries.  I feel you.  I hope you get some interview offers soon!  I've gotten 2 interviews and have a prescreen set up for next week, but I'm also bummed at missing interviews for some schools I thought I was a good fit for.  I interview well (and my odd background is easier explained in person), so this was a big disappointment.  After missing some of these targets, I'm concerned for how the rest of this cycle will play out.

I was told by an adcom from a high-ranking program that I had a really competitive app, and that I should expect a lot of interest.  My letters were stellar.  My GRE was OK, not amazing (165V, 158Q, 4.5W).  My undergrad GPA is a 3.9cum/3.7 sci from a good school.  I took every neuroscience course available at my college along with a bunch of self-designed tutorials.  I did a year of independent neuroscience research in college that got published (2nd author behind my PI) in a decent journal.  A family emergency required that I take the first job offered out of school, so I had to work in a non-neuro lab.  At least it was heavy on molecular bio, so I learned a lot!  I could have -- and I guess I should have -- switched labs to a neuro group, but I didn't want to give up a first author paper I was leading.  I stuck around for 5 years to see this complex translational human study published in a good journal, and I had a number of other basic science/translational pubs come out in the meantime. I've got 6 published papers total in solid journals with 5 more in prep or review.  Yes, only 1 paper is neuro, but I've shown I can be a highly productive scientist and that I have the dedication to lead and support multi-year long projects -- even when that research is in a field that is relatively outside of my passion (neuroscience).  

I'm in my late 20s, and I don't want to sit out another year.  Hopefully some of the places I interview at choose to take me.  They're wonderful programs, and I'd be delighted to go there.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful.  I have some good prospects.  I was just encouraged to get my hopes up for even more options. 

Meh, science involves boatloads of rejection -- papers, grant proposals, etc.  You live.  You learn.  You develop a thick skin.

Edited by Raptor_Science_Activate

Does anyone know possible interview dates for MIT BCS, Rochester NGP, or Tufts Neuro? I'm trying to schedule my interviews that I've received invites for already without interfering with potential interviews. I might end up emailing/calling early next week if I can't find any answers online.

2 hours ago, FlipWizard said:

Does anyone know possible interview dates for MIT BCS, Rochester NGP, or Tufts Neuro? I'm trying to schedule my interviews that I've received invites for already without interfering with potential interviews. I might end up emailing/calling early next week if I can't find any answers online.

Tufts Sakler is March 3rd