Teacher's College 2017 Entry

vvl

I haven't seen any forums about teacher's college for this upcoming school year.  Where did everyone apply? How are everyone's entries looking? Good luck!

GPA: 3.2

Relevant teaching experience: 6000+ hours as a tutor, camp counsellor, classroom volunteer etc

York, OISE, Brock, Trent and Western

I'm applying to the TESOL program at TC!  

GPA: 3.8 (B.A. German, B.A. Music)

Relevant teaching experience: 2nd year teaching Algebra at a public high school through Americorps; 6 months of ESL classroom volunteer experience

Also applying: MIIS, NYU, Boston University, University of Pennsylvania, Hunter College (CUNY), King's College London

I've already been accepted to MIIS which I'm very excited about, but I'd really love to attend TC!

On 12/19/2016 at 2:59 PM, harrar said:

I'm applying to the TESOL program at TC!  

GPA: 3.8 (B.A. German, B.A. Music)

Relevant teaching experience: 2nd year teaching Algebra at a public high school through Americorps; 6 months of ESL classroom volunteer experience

Also applying: MIIS, NYU, Boston University, University of Pennsylvania, Hunter College (CUNY), King's College London

I've already been accepted to MIIS which I'm very excited about, but I'd really love to attend TC!

That's awesome! I hope you get in! 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what address or email address to send official transcripts to? I've tried emailing admissions with this question and I haven't heard a response for over 24 hours. With the priority deadline on Sunday, I'm a bit frustrated that they aren't responding faster!

You should be able to submit transcript via the application portal. Is it still marked missing in the portal? Also, just in case if you weren't aware, I was told that official transcript isn't needed until admission. So if you've already gotten your unofficial submitted, you should be good to go. 

18 hours ago, ChipmOnk said:

You should be able to submit transcript via the application portal. Is it still marked missing in the portal? Also, just in case if you weren't aware, I was told that official transcript isn't needed until admission. So if you've already gotten your unofficial submitted, you should be good to go. 

The way my undergrad does transcripts, it's actually quicker to get an official transcript than an unofficial transcript. I do have an unofficial transcript, but I made some markings in pen on it thinking I had another copy. Nothing inappropriate, I just circled all the grades for the classes I took within my major and made note of my GPA within my major at the bottom. So I was hoping to just go ahead with the official transcript so it looks a little cleaner. I don't have a way to receive an official transcript myself and then send it along to TC- my university requires that I send it directly to them, which doesn't seem possible through the application portal, and I can't find an address or email I can forward it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've applied for a Masters in International Comparative Education at TC. I've already uploaded my 4-year Engineering course transcripts . After submitting my application, I saw this on the application portal checklist;

X      Awaiting Course-by-Course Evaluation

Do all international students have to submit a WES or ECE evaluated transcript at the application stage?I thought this is something we need to do after getting an admit? It's pretty expensive too - about 250$! Any advice, help, suggestions?

Yes you need WES/ECE evaluation done by the admission deadline for TC. And you are right, it's expensive as well. The entire process of sending transcripts and then waiting for an evaluation takes time too. I think you should call the admissions office and see if they can accommodate a late submission for your application.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, harrar said:

The way my undergrad does transcripts, it's actually quicker to get an official transcript than an unofficial transcript. I do have an unofficial transcript, but I made some markings in pen on it thinking I had another copy. Nothing inappropriate, I just circled all the grades for the classes I took within my major and made note of my GPA within my major at the bottom. So I was hoping to just go ahead with the official transcript so it looks a little cleaner. I don't have a way to receive an official transcript myself and then send it along to TC- my university requires that I send it directly to them, which doesn't seem possible through the application portal, and I can't find an address or email I can forward it to.

You can just print out your unofficial transcript and scan it. That's what I did. They accepted scanned unofficial transcripts too. That takes less time and is free vs requesting for official transcript. They don't require official transcript unless you are admitted. 

9 minutes ago, goldenangel1 said:

I love Teachers College. I'm graduating in May 2017. I'm currently a student at TC. Any questions about TC, New York City? Just ask me. :)

Which program are you in? Did you have to interview when you applied for TC? 

15 minutes ago, ChipmOnk said:

Which program are you in? Did you have to interview when you applied for TC? 

There are no interviews for MA programs. I didn't have to do an interview. Maybe some programs require them? But I know majority don't. 

I am completing a Master's in Health Ed.

Edited by goldenangel1

2 hours ago, goldenangel1 said:

I love Teachers College. I'm graduating in May 2017. I'm currently a student at TC. Any questions about TC, New York City? Just ask me. :)

Hey! I'm mostly worried about funding and rent in the surrounding area. What's that like? Feel free to pm me :) 

I can only offer anecdotal experience, my wife graduated from TC two years ago. I think just about all of our friends received some kind of tuition grant to reduce tuition charges (quite a few full tuition grants), but I know my wife, at least, received nothing by way of stipend. Considering all but two of our friends also worked full-time (the other two lived on loans), I don't imagine there's much in the way of TC covering living expenses. My wife did some substituting while I worked FT and had a RA position with a faculty member that paid a fair bit.

I just heard back from my program director that admissions hasn't sent over the applications yet. They're hoping to get them by the end of this week and reach out for interviews next week. 

1 hour ago, PsychGrad17 said:

Hey! I'm mostly worried about funding and rent in the surrounding area. What's that like? Feel free to pm me :) 

New York City is costly. Be prepared to pay a lot to live in shoe box. lol. Jk. I got lucky and found off campus housing a few blocks from school. I pay 1k for rent a month for a furnished single room that comes with everything and conveniently located near everything and I live 4 blocks from campus so I just walk to school. You can find some good places but the cost of living is expensive, everything is expensive in New York.

Funding depends and vary by program. There are some scholarships that range from 5k to 15k. Financial aid is in the form of loans and work study for most students unless you have outside sources or external scholarship. So there are scholarships available, but it's not much. 

I'm biased, but I love New York City and I love Columbia so much. I met so many amazing people and made so many good friends and got such an amazing experience here!!! It's so worth it, especially because New York City is my dream city. For me, it was a dream come true. I love New York!!! I made the best choice to come here all the way from California. The winter is bearable and I love snow. I'm a Cali girl and I survived all four seasons. Fashion, food, entertainment, etc. New York has everything!! It's so fun here. There's always a million things to see and do and there are always fun things going on at school too. 

:)

Edited by goldenangel1

Thanks so much! :) I'm from the Caribbean so the weather would be a big change for me too. I visited NY twice and I absolutely love it. I have relatives in Long Island but I think that might be too far to commute plus I think I'd prefer to live on my own. Hopefully I can find somewhere reasonable and find a part time job too lol