Teacher's College 2017 Entry

vvl

21 hours ago, ChipmOnk said:

I just heard back from my program director that admissions hasn't sent over the applications yet. They're hoping to get them by the end of this week and reach out for interviews next week. 

Hey. When did you apply? Did you apply by the December 15 or January 15 deadline? 

6 minutes ago, bluesea1981 said:

Hey. When did you apply? Did you apply by the December 15 or January 15 deadline? 

I got everything in by Dec.15th. Have you heard anything back from them yet?

On 1/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, goldenangel1 said:

I love Teachers College. I'm graduating in May 2017. I'm currently a student at TC. Any questions about TC, New York City? Just ask me. :)

Would you say you're happy with Teachers College overall? Is there anything negative that you didn't realize until you were there for a while? 

22 minutes ago, harrar said:

Would you say you're happy with Teachers College overall? Is there anything negative that you didn't realize until you were there for a while? 

I'm very happy overall. I'm very actively involved in school and even work part time on campus. I can't think of any negatives at all. I know that I made the right choice coming here and TC exceeded my expectations. It's such an amazing place with so many opportunities. It's a very friendly and warm environment and the faculty and staff are so kind and supportive. The students here are wonderful. I've made so many great friends here as well. 

1 hour ago, bluesea1981 said:

Was your deadline January 15? I didn't submit my application until January 15.

Jan 15. I was advised by a former professor to get everything in at least a month before the deadline. But that really shouldn't effect your profile, especially since it seems like TC waits for all applications to come in before they start the review process.

1 hour ago, ChipmOnk said:

Jan 15. I was advised by a former professor to get everything in at least a month before the deadline. But that really shouldn't effect your profile, especially since it seems like TC waits for all applications to come in before they start the review process.

Shoot. I submitted mine on January 15 in the evening. Do you think it'll take longer for them to get back to me about scheduling an interview?

Edited by bluesea1981

On 1/24/2017 at 4:55 PM, bluesea1981 said:

Shoot. I submitted mine on January 15 in the evening. Do you think it'll take longer for them to get back to me about scheduling an interview?

I really don't think it will effect the interview. And on top of that, I don't think every program interviews. So, you may get in without hearing anything between now and march. 

P.S., you can find the average GPAs here: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/biobehavioral-sciences/communication-sciences-and-disorders/nav-sections/faqs/faq-application-process/

It's between 3.6-3.8

Edited by ChipmOnk
additional info

48 minutes ago, ChipmOnk said:

I really don't think it will effect the interview. And on top of that, I don't think every program interviews. So, you may get in without hearing anything between now and march. 

P.S., you can find the average GPAs here: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/biobehavioral-sciences/communication-sciences-and-disorders/nav-sections/faqs/faq-application-process/

It's between 3.6-3.8

Hey, chipmOnk. Thanks for your response and for the information. I believe the program I'm applying to interviews. If they do choose to interview me, should I expect it 3-4 weeks after the application has been submitted?

Also, I think those stats are for one department, rather than for the whole institution. 

4 minutes ago, bluesea1981 said:

Hey, chipmOnk. Thanks for your response and for the information. I believe the program I'm applying to interviews. If they do choose to interview me, should I expect it 3-4 weeks after the application has been submitted?

Also, I think those stats are for one department, rather than for the whole institution. 

I don't think the interviews depend on your submission dates this year unless your program is on rolling basis. Other wise, it seems like they are sending out interviews collectively in the next couple of weeks. From everyone I've talked to, it seems like this year, they waited for all applications to be submitted before they started the review process. 

On 1/20/2017 at 5:59 PM, Mithrandir27 said:

Yes you need WES/ECE evaluation done by the admission deadline for TC. And you are right, it's expensive as well. The entire process of sending transcripts and then waiting for an evaluation takes time too. I think you should call the admissions office and see if they can accommodate a late submission for your application.

@Mithrandir27 : Thanks!I've been in touch with the admissions office. They are willing to allow for my ECE evaluated transcripts to reach them. Of course, my application won't be touched until then. :( 

• 2 weeks later...
On January 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM, harrar said:

I'm finishing up too, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.  I'm very happy here, BUT it's not a utopia.

1) If you're a master's candidate, financial aid is tough to come by...in my department (ed tech) and in general.

2) Folks in my dept. think career services could be better.  Who knows, maybe if you're in Curriculum & Teaching, or a more traditional field, it's different.

3) Choose your classes wisely.  Speak to older students in your program for guidance.  Not all of the classes are great.  A second year student saved me when I was a newbie.  She told me to switch programming classes IMMEDIATELY.  The one I had signed up for was awful, like 100% horrendous.  I owe her my life because the one she recommended was great.

WITH THAT SAID...there are some great opportunities.  Stick your neck out to take advantage of them.  Get to know your profs and classmates.  They're great resources and very receptive.  My old TA recommended me for a summer job w/ our program head.  I heard about my spring 2016 internship from two people: a fellow classmate (who is now a friend) and my advisor.  One of my profs introduced me to someone who is doing exactly what I'd love to do post-graduation--who knows that person may become a mentor.  Our department chair has been my independent study advisor for multiple semesters.  It really helps to be full-time here.  There are a lot of opportunities you miss out on when you're only here a few evenings a week.  Again, talk to folks before choosing classes and register early.  If it says you can register Feb 10 @ 9am, get online at 8am.  The website tends to open up early, and kids in-the-know eat up all the best classes by 8:45 or 9am on-the-dot.  Please take advantage of independent studies, courses outside of your department and outside of TC.  Attend activities that are of interest on the main campus.  There are great speakers, seminars, organizations etc.

This place is generally what you make of it.  Very few are 100% enthused about TC.  For many, it is just OK.  Let's be real; it's a huge school with a huge part-time population.  It's not hard to believe that some find it impersonal.  But, if you go in with your eyes wide open and get to know people (profs, classmates, secretaries etc.) who can show you the ropes, you can have a great experience.  It probably helps to be in a smaller department, too.   

On 2017/1/24 at 1:39 AM, goldenangel1 said:

I love Teachers College. I'm graduating in May 2017. I'm currently a student at TC. Any questions about TC, New York City? Just ask me. :)

Hello! I'm an applicant of Instructional technology and media MA at teachers college. The webpage shows this program doesn't require GRE. So I didn't submit GRE. I want to know will it affect my application?

my gpa is 3.57/4.0,I have 1 year teaching experience in a middle school, 1 year in Education bureau. I also have the journalist experience at Canadian broadcasting corporation for one week, summer school at ubc and so on..... my IELTS score just reached the line. I want to know the possibility of my admission. 

I'm looking forward your response 

On February 11, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Yumiko Ann said:

Hello! I'm an applicant of Instructional technology and media MA at teachers college. The webpage shows this program doesn't require GRE. So I didn't submit GRE. I want to know will it affect my application?

my gpa is 3.57/4.0,I have 1 year teaching experience in a middle school, 1 year in Education bureau. I also have the journalist experience at Canadian broadcasting corporation for one week, summer school at ubc and so on..... my IELTS score just reached the line. I want to know the possibility of my admission. 

It probably won't.  I know a few people who didn't submit GREs. 

29 minutes ago, Yumiko Ann said:

Thanks for your kind response. Do you know how many people applied Instructional technology and media 17fall? 

I'm just a student here; I have no idea.  I can tell you that there were about 65 people who enrolled my year.  If you're so inclined, I guess you could ask the admissions office about the average number of applicants most years.  

On 2/11/2017 at 11:37 AM, Yumiko Ann said:

Hi there,

No, if the program doesn't require you to take the GRE or submit the GRE scores that means that they don't care or want your GRE scores. If it's not required, you do not have to submit it. Some programs do not require GRE because they do not rely on test scores to determined if you are a good fit for the program. They look at everything, your grades, essay, resume and your letter of recommendations. It varies from program to program in terms of competitiveness, but you have a very good chance because you have a good profile. Your GPA is good too. So don't worry. Try to relax and breathe. Again, they look at everything. So if you have a strong statement of purpose and strong letters of recommendation, it can override everything.

Edited by goldenangel1

On 2017/2/16 at 8:53 AM, goldenangel1 said:

Hi there,

No, if the program doesn't require you to take the GRE or submit the GRE scores that means that they don't care or want your GRE scores. If it's not required, you do not have to submit it. Some programs do not require GRE because they do not rely on test scores to determined if you are a good fit for the program. They look at everything, your grades, essay, resume and your letter of recommendations. It varies from program to program in terms of competitiveness, but you have a very good chance because you have a good profile. Your GPA is good too. So don't worry. Try to relax and breathe. Again, they look at everything. So if you have a strong statement of purpose and strong letters of recommendation, it can override everything.

Thank you so much for providing this information. Plus, may I ask your contact information? Like facebook or Snapchat? Cuz I may have more questions to ask later......

I really appreciate your response