UCL MsC in Security Studies?

Kevin1990

Yesterday I got an offer of admission from University College London's MsC program in Security Studies.

My top choice is KCL's War studies program but my application there is still outstanding.

Ive also applied to LSE and Sciences Po both of which I were denied admission too. While I have been waitlisted to St. Andrews.

However, I was wondering how UCL's program compares to the above and ones stateside as well?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Edited by Kevin1990

I can't really answer your question, it sounds like you already know UCL is below KCL for security/war studies, and LSE, though UCL is certainly a recognizable university. I'm just here because I also applied for KCL War Studies- when did you apply? I submitted my application November 1st, second reference submitted November 11th, they sent me a message that my transcript was unofficial two weeks ago so I submitted the official one, and a little over a week ago I sent a message to confirm the second transcript was good- but they haven't responded. It's been over 6 weeks at this point, I was really hoping they'd give me a decision before Christmas. 

Same question for LSE, I submitted my app there end of October, I thought they didn't give decisions until January? 

18 minutes ago, raliq said:

I can't really answer your question, it sounds like you already know UCL is below KCL for security/war studies, and LSE, though UCL is certainly a recognizable university. I'm just here because I also applied for KCL War Studies- when did you apply? I submitted my application November 1st, second reference submitted November 11th, they sent me a message that my transcript was unofficial two weeks ago so I submitted the official one, and a little over a week ago I sent a message to confirm the second transcript was good- but they haven't responded. It's been over 6 weeks at this point, I was really hoping they'd give me a decision before Christmas. 

Same question for LSE, I submitted my app there end of October, I thought they didn't give decisions until January? 

I submitted my app's to both LSE and KCL in early November along with my references. Got a negative response from LSE around Thanksgiving but have heard very little from KCL. Ditto same for the 2nd choice from LSE.

While I submitted my UCL, St. Andrews, and Sciences Po apps shortly before Thanksgiving and heard back from all of them yesterday via email.

i don't know what to think of UCL as from reading on both here and on Student Room UCL vs. KCL vs. LSE seems to be a difference in style. Ex. KCL's program is more academic in nature while UCL's appears to be more of an "American" styled one.in terms of substance.

All I know is UCL tends to be regarded as higher reputation wise in general then KCL and the two have a rivalry.

im actually kind of shocked I got into UCL's program as my GPA was a bit lower then what they preferred.

13 minutes ago, Kevin1990 said:

I submitted my app's to both LSE and KCL in early November along with my references. Got a negative response from LSE around Thanksgiving but have heard very little from KCL. Ditto same for the 2nd choice from LSE.

While I submitted my UCL, St. Andrews, and Sciences Po apps shortly before Thanksgiving and heard back from all of them yesterday via email.

i don't know what to think of UCL as from reading on both here and on Student Room UCL vs. KCL vs. LSE seems to be a difference in style. Ex. KCL's program is more academic in nature while UCL's appears to be more of an "American" styled one.in terms of substance.

All I know is UCL tends to be regarded as higher reputation wise in general then KCL and the two have a rivalry.

im actually kind of shocked I got into UCL's program as my GPA was a bit lower then what they preferred.

Yeah, UCL is definitely a more well-known university internationally, while KCL is better for the War Studies department, but the University as a whole isn't so prestigious outside of the UK. 

I was going to apply to KCL, LSE, UCL, St Andrews, and a few schools in the US but one of my references said he would only do 5 schools (his personal belief is that you shouldn't be applying to more than 5...) so I cut out UCL & St. Andrews to include 3 US schools- but now I'm just wishing I had a decision from anywhere haha

UCL as overall university may be higher ranked with more reputation than KCL. But for the department and course, KCL MSc War Studies is the superior choice in terms of academic reputation, available courses, alumni base and relationship with think tanks, gov, military and intelligence agencies. Incidentally, KCL War Studies is more established course (30 yrs plus) attracts better faculty and higher quality of students. Professionals in relevant positions know the difference.

UCL came really late to the Security course as a recent entry and the course does not have the same substance/depth as KCL War Studies or even St Andrews. A UCL student told me that the there are some gaps in themes in UCL syllabus. In the beginning, there were glitches and some turnover to find suitable lecturers. The course did not have the same coherence as KCL.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:02 AM, CakeTea said:

UCL as overall university may be higher ranked with more reputation than KCL. But for the department and course, KCL MSc War Studies is the superior choice in terms of academic reputation, available courses, alumni base and relationship with think tanks, gov, military and intelligence agencies. Incidentally, KCL War Studies is more established course (30 yrs plus) attracts better faculty and higher quality of students. Professionals in relevant positions know the difference.

UCL came really late to the Security course as a recent entry and the course does not have the same substance/depth as KCL War Studies or even St Andrews. A UCL student told me that the there are some gaps in themes in UCL syllabus. In the beginning, there were glitches and some turnover to find suitable lecturers. The course did not have the same coherence as KCL.

Well I just learned today I was rejected by KCL which is a YUGE disappointment for me personally.

While I am still waiting on my 2nd choice program for the LSE.

Should I seriously consider the UCL program or pass on it? I was planning on talking to people in my circle to hear what they have to say as well. I also plan to seek out alumni of the program also.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give everyone an update,

I got some news.

I was admitted to my 2nd choice program @LSE which was the MSC program in the Theory and History of International Relations. Which is a joint undertaking between the history and IR depts there.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I got an admittance from UCL for INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC POLICY, anyone here has insights on the college, program, job prospects. I am an International student, I intend to apply at SOAS but with the UCL acceptance I am skeptical and confused.