Wine, Wait, and Whine

kris10mb

20 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I AM GOING CRAZY! Trying to distract myself with books and Saturday's March and so on... but it's hard to not check my email 400 times a day.

Yup. Same here. I keep refreshing it, which of course just makes the time pass more slowly.

As others have noted, the cold/snowy weather doesn't help. I think I'm going to try cleaning in a bit-- anything to expend some of this nervous energy. 

57 minutes ago, montanem said:

I have a new every other hour rule for checking my e-mail starting today...otherwise I am going to go crazy!  

You must have more self control than I do! I'm proud of myself when I make it one hour. 

32 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

You must have more self control than I do! I'm proud of myself when I make it one hour. 

It isn't easy!  But I'm working on edits for my thesis so it forces me to work :) 

I've been pretty good about not thinking about it until now, I started a new job with a bunch of down time and I've been using it to do nothing but think about my application and check my email. I'm reading a book but it's only so distracting. Any good book recommendations to distract me? I like nonfiction and social issues (that probably didn't need to be said here).

23 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

I've been pretty good about not thinking about it until now, I started a new job with a bunch of down time and I've been using it to do nothing but think about my application and check my email. I'm reading a book but it's only so distracting. Any good book recommendations to distract me? I like nonfiction and social issues (that probably didn't need to be said here).

I recommend everyone on this board read Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher. It's a hilarious satire of an cranky creative writing professor complaining about academic life, in epistolary form. One of the best books I've read in a while.

I think I might lose my mind if I don't hear something this week. Everyone I know in real life who applied this round has heard something from at least one school they applied to, but I'm still waiting. It seems like the end of January/early February are popular times for admissions decisions to be sent out, so I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that we hear something soon. It seems to me like this year is getting off to a late start...

I feel like I'm going crazy too... I've been having nightmares about getting rejected, my POIs saying they can't take any more students, etc... I check my email at least 15-20 times a day, and even though I know I should stop, it's really hard. :(

10 hours ago, montanem said:

Just got home with a nice Pinot Noir and a loaf of french bread...gunna start rewatching Downton Abbey tonight and force myself to not panic.

I like how you've gone with the 'treat yourself' method of waiting. You deserve it! This is so stressful we need to be nice to ourselves.

my stress dreams are rarely about the thing I'm actually stressed about, I know the reason is admissions decisions- but last night I had a dream that I was stuck in the back of my car and the car was driving and I was about to run a red light and I couldn't get to the front seat so I ran it and got pulled over and brought to jail. I'm super ready for this to be over.... lol.

5 hours ago, Beals said:

I like how you've gone with the 'treat yourself' method of waiting. You deserve it! This is so stressful we need to be nice to ourselves.

I know you are right, but last night my thought was "anxiety control" after getting my first rejection and not hearing from 3 schools that others are reporting from...not sure how healthy turning to wine is in that situation BUT it was a nice evening :D Mary is the worst in season one!  

3 hours ago, sociologicalpizza said:

my stress dreams are rarely about the thing I'm actually stressed about, I know the reason is admissions decisions- but last night I had a dream that I was stuck in the back of my car and the car was driving and I was about to run a red light and I couldn't get to the front seat so I ran it and got pulled over and brought to jail. I'm super ready for this to be over.... lol.

Last night I dreamt that my dog got accepted and I didn't...(she's in my profile pic, it kind of shows how goofy she is).  So the dreams that are more pointed toward hearing back can be just as strange.  

14 minutes ago, montanem said:

I know you are right, but last night my thought was "anxiety control" after getting my first rejection and not hearing from 3 schools that others are reporting from...not sure how healthy turning to wine is in that situation BUT it was a nice evening :D 

HAHAHA WOW it did not even register that drinking a bottle of wine and vegging on a couch alone on a Tuesday night could be an unhealthy coping mechanism. I'm just like, wow, that sounds like a nice evening!!  I should probably be googling 'how to deal with stress in a healthy way' in my downtime, because clearly my instincts are shot to hell. I'm glad you're at least aware of the potential issues though.

EDIT: also, hang in there!! It's not over till it's over!! You still have 9 other programs to hear from!

Edited by Beals

8 minutes ago, Beals said:

HAHAHA WOW it did not even register that drinking a bottle of wine and vegging on a couch alone on a Tuesday night could be an unhealthy coping mechanism. I'm just like, wow, that sounds like a nice evening!!  I should probably be googling 'how to deal with stress in a healthy way' in my downtime, because clearly my instincts are shot to hell. I'm glad you're at least aware of the potential issues though.

EDIT: also, hang in there!! It's not over till it's over!! You still have 9 other programs to hear from!

Lol thanks :) Its ok to have A nice evening, just can't let too many of these waiting nights be like that!  Gotta focus on long walks/vigorous gym sessions and knitting for the next couple weeks!

I'm excited too, but I'm also mentally preparing myself to not hear anything this week. Based on the last few years, the schools I'm still waiting on won't get back to their admitted applicants until the second week of February. 

8 hours ago, csot said:

I'm excited too, but I'm also mentally preparing myself to not hear anything this week. Based on the last few years, the schools I'm still waiting on won't get back to their admitted applicants until the second week of February. 

same timeline for me... I'm expecting Feb 12 at the earliest.  You'd think this means I would be able to freaking CHILL until at least early Feb, but ---- ALAS!!!! There is no chill in sight!!!