Interview Attire

whatsaname

Just  to jump in here, I am also going to an interview on the east coast and purchased similar boots to wear since it will most likely be raining/snowing/very cold. I think flats just have too much exposure, and you could end up being uncomfortable/cold. 

47 minutes ago, neur0cat said:

Thank you @Emotix! :) Would you think ankle boots (something like this) are fine, or would flats/heels be advised? I am mostly interviewing on the East Coast and it's expected that it'd be cold.

Also, what do people think of going with a boucle blazer?

1 hour ago, dormcat said:

UMich doesn't hold an interview weekend though, only a recruitment weekend. I plan on wearing my suit because, well, that's what I bought for interviews and they've ended up being on the phone. Once you're accepted they're not going to take away your acceptance because you've dressed more formally than others. In general, I would warn people that you can't go too formal unless you're wearing a ball gown or tuxedo. If you have a suit or can get a suit (skirt or pant for women), wear it.

Eh I disagree. The people I know also interviewed at University of Virginia social, Cornell social, and University of Texas social, and business casual was most definitely appropriate there. So I feel business casual is the "safest" for social areas, although business formal is ok if not a little stiff.

Thinking about it, maybe the one social area I might dress business formal to is Princeton. No comment on that, though.

Does anyone have insight on whether you should/should not wear your wedding ring to an interview? Maybe I am being overly paranoid, but I don't want admissions to know more about me than absolutely necessary. It may not influence their decision, but I would like to play it on the safe side. 

I could see why you might be concerned about profs having certain assumptions since you're married. I think the questions is really do you want to work with someone who would factor your marital status into their admissions decisions? Is their a specific negative way you think it will influence their decisions? 

13 minutes ago, LovePsychx3 said:

Does anyone have insight on whether you should/should not wear your wedding ring to an interview? Maybe I am being overly paranoid, but I don't want admissions to know more about me than absolutely necessary. It may not influence their decision, but I would like to play it on the safe side. 

Edited by Blackwater

15 minutes ago, LovePsychx3 said:

I was wondering this too. I just got engaged and I don't want admissions committees to be concerned about that. I'm torn. As @Blackwater said, do I really want to go somewhere that's going to judge me based on my marital status. But also are they going to be worried that my wedding/marriage might interfere with my work?

I could definitely see why you are concerned. However, a lot of these profs are married and may not hold that bias. As well, many people get married in graduate school or before they attend, so it's really not that uncommon. I don't think any program/prof expects you to put your entire life on hold for the next 5-6 years.

if they have an issue with it now, even if you are admitted it may be more frustrating to work with someone who holds that bias and underestimates you.

8 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I was wondering this too. I just got engaged and I don't want admissions committees to be concerned about that. I'm torn. As @Blackwater said, do I really want to go somewhere that's going to judge me based on my marital status. But also are they going to be worried that my wedding/marriage might interfere with my work?

3 minutes ago, Blackwater said:

I could definitely see why you are concerned. However, a lot of these profs are married and may not hold that bias. As well, many people get married in graduate school or before they attend, so it's really not that uncommon. I don't think any program/prof expects you to put your entire life on hold for the next 5-6 years.

if they have an issue with it now, even if you are admitted it may be more frustrating to work with someone who holds that bias and underestimates you.

That's a good point. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Blackwater said:

This is helpful, thanks! I think it's more the assumptions they make based on it. I'm not saying they would make negative assumptions, but I would rather they make no assumptions at all. I will most likely wear it because it is an important and relevant part of my life.

So I'm wearing this dress to my interviews paired with a matching blazer and heels (part of a suit set): http://www.sears.ca/en/dresses/canadas-best-a-line-dress-5421360_P.html?cgid=wh3_women_dresses&dwvar_5421360__P_color=black#sz=40&start=1&pageStart=193&pgSize=206&cgid=wh3_women_dresses

I was thinking of dressing it down for the department socials so that I don't have to bring too much clothing with me. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to do this? I'm limited in terms of clothing right now so I'll likely have to buy something new. 

I think a short cardigan and a scarf could look nice but still dress it down. 

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

So I'm wearing this dress to my interviews paired with a matching blazer and heels (part of a suit set): http://www.sears.ca/en/dresses/canadas-best-a-line-dress-5421360_P.html?cgid=wh3_women_dresses&dwvar_5421360__P_color=black#sz=40&start=1&pageStart=193&pgSize=206&cgid=wh3_women_dresses

I was thinking of dressing it down for the department socials so that I don't have to bring too much clothing with me. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to do this? I'm limited in terms of clothing right now so I'll likely have to buy something new. 

1 hour ago, Blackwater said:

I think a short cardigan and a scarf could look nice but still dress it down. 

Thanks! I never considered wearing a scarf. I may have to buy a short cardigan though....I tend to have more longer ones, and I think the only short one I have is a really bright pink! Should I go with the same basic pair of black heels for the social, or go for flats? I'm wearing these in the regular black, and find that they tend to transition between dressy, business, and casual well: http://www.payless.com/womens-karmen-pump/70962.html?dwvar_70962_color=blackpatent#start=8

I find that cheaper clothing tends to run bigger. I think designer brands (doesn't need to be the super expensive ones) will probably run a bit smaller and fit better for you. Petite might work, but you can also look in the juniors sections of big box stores. Sometimes I will opt for juniors dress pants since the regular women's sizes often don't fit me right. The juniors blazers might fit better too, and you can't tell the difference unless you get something with lace/zippers/embellishments. 

4 hours ago, Blackwater said:

I am wondering if an outfit like the one in the link below would be appropriate for a social with the grad students? Is it too casual? 

https://goo.gl/images/RF9os5

I think this would work great! I'm wearing similar outfits during casual events at my interviews, which consist mainly of dark jeans, basic (striped) sweaters and black ankle boots (no blazer). I found the ankle boots to be quite versatile, so I will also be wearing them to the formal part of the interview with a pencil skirt, blouse and cardigan. 

14 hours ago, pricklypear said:

I think this would work great! I'm wearing similar outfits during casual events at my interviews, which consist mainly of dark jeans, basic (striped) sweaters and black ankle boots (no blazer). I found the ankle boots to be quite versatile, so I will also be wearing them to the formal part of the interview with a pencil skirt, blouse and cardigan. 

I'm also planning to wear a pair of black ankle boots to the formal interview. Wondering if it's OK to wear regular colored jeans to the social though? I plan to also wear plain sweaters without the blazer.

Edited by neur0cat

3 hours ago, neur0cat said:

I'm also planning to wear a pair of black ankle boots to the formal interview. Wondering if it's OK to wear regular colored jeans to the social though? I plan to also wear plain sweaters without the blazer.

My source said ok to wear dark denim jeans without rips for the social assuming the rise is not too low (or you wear a long enough sweater to cover any accidental exposure!). 

So my upcoming interview is going to have: an optional/"super casual" taco dinner with grad students the night before interviews start, a "dinner party" the next evening after interviews, and then a half-day of interviews following the first.

As a guy, I was thinking of dark denim jeans (no tears or anything) and a polo shirt for the optional/casual grad dinner, and then I assume I should just wear my suit the entire full day of interviews including the dinner party, and then the suit with a different shirt+tie for the half day.

Does this sound right? Should I wear something else to the dinner party aside from my suit?

Does anyone have any insight regarding appropriate interview hair styles for women? I typically wear my hair (of medium length/around my shoulder blades) straight, down, and out of my face for professional type events. However, someone told me it is best for women to wear their hair completely tied back in a bun for interviews. I think I'd actually feel quite uncomfortable with my hair in a bun since it's very unlike me. Any insights on if faculty would actually perceive a woman with her hair down more negatively than one with her hair back? I'd like to assume we're all past the point of assuming a woman can't be qualified and have decent hair but obviously don't want to risk it. 

2 hours ago, whatsaname said:

Does anyone have any insight regarding appropriate interview hair styles for women? I typically wear my hair (of medium length/around my shoulder blades) straight, down, and out of my face for professional type events. However, someone told me it is best for women to wear their hair completely tied back in a bun for interviews. I think I'd actually feel quite uncomfortable with my hair in a bun since it's very unlike me. Any insights on if faculty would actually perceive a woman with her hair down more negatively than one with her hair back? I'd like to assume we're all past the point of assuming a woman can't be qualified and have decent hair but obviously don't want to risk it. 

Wear it however you feel comfortable (I've worn my hair in an afro to fellowship interviews and still got them). As long as there's no strong odor or really flashy you should be good.

7 hours ago, Louvre said:

My source said ok to wear dark denim jeans without rips for the social assuming the rise is not too low (or you wear a long enough sweater to cover any accidental exposure!). 

Thanks! In your opinion at least, would this qualify as dark denim? 

On 1/15/2017 at 11:15 AM, FacelessMage said:

I love extrapetite's take on repurposing sheath dresses: http://www.extrapetite.com/2014/03/wardrobe-staples-series-styling-sheath.html

What about tattoos? I'm torn about whether or not to cover mine up.

My two most visible are a sleeve and one across my chest below my collarbones. On one hand I don't want to do anything that might tip the scales against me but then on the other if I get accepted they'll be seeing them anyways (but I guess then it won't matter as much because I'll be in). Both of these tattoos are very intricate, delicate and black/grey with thin lines. I already work in a professional field and they have never been an issue. 

I'm applying to schools in Canada that I've heard aren't as conservative as others. 

I feel like I have three options:

1. Cover them up completely with clothing and even buy tattoo cover up make-up

2. Cover them at least for the most part with clothing so can only see hints of tattoos

3. Not make any effort to hide them but obviously still dress business formal 

does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?